Neil Craig steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, or has his coaching career with the Crows been nearly identical to that of Eade at the Swans? About the same span, a lot of success first up (without quite grabbing the major prize), then slowly declining, despite being competitive. He starts playing favourites, gets tetchy and defensive about his position, and then finally has to step down when the players stop playing for him. Good coach that things just didn't happen for, and then the chinks just grew wider and wider from then on.

I think his off season and off field planning was excellent, but I dont think he ever had the gameday nous to be called an excellent coach and I think ultimately his results in big matches mirrors that.

Some in the media have suggested that Michael Voss needs a senior assistant coach to help him, Neil Craig would be perfect for the role if both were willing to work together.

Gary O'Donnell was appointed to that position last year. Not saying Craig wouldn't be an interesting option, but I don't see it happening.

Didnt Trigg just recently say that Bickley was not ready to coach yet in his opinion?
He was on SEN and I am sure that's what he thought.

If that's the case, why is Bickley caretaker?

Pretty good coaching career. The Crows basically had the wood on us for his entire time at the club. Probably fitting his last win as coach was against us, actually.

Will be interesting to see who replaces him. I feel like the Crows are a club in need of a complete clean out in terms of coaching/support staff. I don't think their list is as bad as some of the results lately have made it out to be. I expect them to bounce back pretty quickly actually.

Didnt Trigg just recently say that Bickley was not ready to coach yet in his opinion?
He was on SEN and I am sure that's what he thought.

If that's the case, why is Bickley caretaker?

because none of our Assistants are ready

I would love West Coast to loan us Scotty Burns however I don't think that will happen

Had little choice in the end with players consistently failing to perform.
I reckon the 2009 SF loss probably crossed a threshold for the playing group and they no longer had enough faith in the game plan. Coupled with a lengthy injury list and poorly managed retirements, 2010 and 2011 has seen performances well below that of previous years where the side would always be competitive.

2005/6 were years of surprising dominance for many, but at least 1 GF appearance should have resulted. Craig's finals record will always be held against him.

Bickley has the interim job, but few supporters rate him.
I think the club can bounce back reasonably well... with the best coach available at the helm.

I think his off season and off field planning was excellent, but I dont think he ever had the gameday nous to be called an excellent coach and I think ultimately his results in big matches mirrors that.
+1 :thumbsu:

Was the worst game-day coach in the league by a long LONG way. In the 2009 final against Collingwood when the Crows were leading at the half and Collingwood weren't scoring he decided to put Maric (a ruckman) at FF; Porplyzia (a small/medium forward) into the midfield; Dangerfield (a forward/mid), who'd spent the the 1st half in the midfield, deep into the forward pocket. The end result, Pies took over the midfield as the Crows had lost their best performing mid, their ruckman was in the forward line.

Also a failed ruckman come forward, Tippett, was put into the ruck with a mediocre midfield plus a small forward to tap to against the likes of Swan, Pendlebury, etc. Why Craig did that is a mystery since what he had going up until half time was working.

Idiot coach who was never going to take the Crows to a premiership. Reason they did so well in 2009 was due to Todd Viney, not Craig. Look at how weak and soft their midfield has become since Viney left.

Bickley is the caretaker. Would Adelaide supporters like to comment on whether he is up for the job full time?

Absolutely no support for Bicks from the fans as far as I can see. A clean-out of the whole coaching panel is the preference of most BF AFC posters.

Has a very soft draw on the run home, so I just hope the board doesn't let a few easy wins cloud their thinking in the replacement process.

Port (H), Brisbane, Geelong (H), Gold Coast, Richmond (H), West Coast.

Four wins seems likely to me. A surprise win against Geelong or West Coast is far from impossible if Bicks' gets a honeymoon period bump from the players. Consistency and four quarter efforts have been our biggest problem. If the players get switched on mentally, then a few wins could really give Bicks a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig just couldn't get it done during the all important finals series. His teams were often out coached and would lose it in the second half of games. Craig lead the Crows to only 3 wins from 9 in finals. Other than Ratten, 0 from 2, he has the worst coaching record in finals of the current coaches who have managed teams in the finals.

This is not a troll it is merely the stats. Craig seems like a nice guy, who had the Crows best interests at heart. Unfortunately that does not win finals or get you into Grand Finals.

His resume includes such “pressure” performances as:

· Being up against Collingwood in the semi in 2009 by 29 pts and losing.
· Losing in Adelaide to Collingwood by 31 pts when being 12 pts up at half time in the first elimination final 2008
· Losing to the Hawks after leading in every quarter in the elimination final in 2007
· Losing to West Coast in the prelim final 2006 after having a week’s break, playing at home in Adelaide and being up by 22 points at half time and 8 pts at 3 quarter time
· Losing to the Saints in a qualifying final in Adelaide after leading in the first quarter in 2005
· Losing to West Coast at Subi in a Prelim final in 2005 after beating West Coast at Subi only a few weeks earlier. In fairness West Coast were a much improved team once finals started and the game was in Perth.

The teams Craigy has beaten in the finals were all at Adelaide’s Football Park: Dockers (who ended up making the prelim so not a bad win but not really a finals hardened outfit ), Port and Essendon, who were both, you guessed it, the 8th placed side in the finals!!!

Not great. Considering the champions he had at his disposal – McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards, Burton etc - and irrespective of injuries which all clubs get his record at the business end of the season is terrible. Especially when you juxtapose it with their dominance in certain Home and Away seasons it comes across as a glaring issue. I will not subscribe to any revisionist history on Craigy when it inevitably comes to discussing his legacy - good bloke, not a pressure coach who could ever deliver Adelaide the ultimate prize.

He has said publicly he wants to stay at Essendon, but I guess we won't stop him if he applies for the job.
I highly doubt he'd turn down the head coaching role if offered at the club he loves.

Have a feeling our next coach will be either Bassett or Burns.

Shock horror.

Will be interesting to see how Adelaide go next year once the mandatory new coach factor has worn off this year.

+1 :thumbsu:

Was the worst game-day coach in the league by a long LONG way. In the 2009 final against Collingwood when the Crows were leading at the half and Collingwood weren't scoring he decided to put Maric (a ruckman) at FF; Porplyzia (a small/medium forward) into the midfield; Dangerfield (a forward/mid), who'd spent the the 1st half in the midfield, deep into the forward pocket. The end result, Pies took over the midfield as the Crows had lost their best performing mid, their ruckman was in the forward line.

Also a failed ruckman come forward, Tippett, was put into the ruck with a mediocre midfield plus a small forward to tap to against the likes of Swan, Pendlebury, etc. Why Craig did that is a mystery since what he had going up until half time was working.

Idiot coach who was never going to take the Crows to a premiership. Reason they did so well in 2009 was due to Todd Viney, not Craig. Look at how weak and soft their midfield has become since Viney left.
Your first paragraph is fine, but the rest is pretty much near shit. 2005 and 2006 ring a bell? They were much better years than 2009.

I wanted him gone just as badly as all AFC supporters, but your post is in very poor taste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back