New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get it. Chief, does the graph show:

a/ bigfooty is bigger than afl
b/ bigfooty is growing like for like faster than afl
c/ something else not immediately clear in the labelling of the chart

A little birdie pointed out this interesting development.

AFL.COM.AU in blue.

BIGFOOTY.COM in red.

So yeah nah, I would not take at face value the claim that afl.com.au traffic is at an all-time high.

Really, that graph tells us nothing about total traffic. It tells us that bigfooty.com gets a bigger share of the total internet page views, but without knowing what a percentage point is worth, it says nothing of overall traffic. (please don't take me for a bigpond apologist, I'm certainly not that, but the graph is pointless).

Does bigfooty get more traffic than AFL? Have not seen bigfooty stats but read somewhere AFL does 1m uniques a week. The Chief would be happy to pull that many people I would imagine.

So Chief, what are the weekly uniques on bigfooty?

Does bigfooty get more traffic than AFL? Have not seen bigfooty stats but read somewhere AFL does 1m uniques a week. The Chief would be happy to pull that many people I would imagine.

So Chief, what are the weekly uniques on bigfooty?

Page Views per user for Bigfooty.com:

The number of unique pages viewed per user per day for this site
Yesterday1 wk. Avg.3 mos. Avg.3 mos. Change5237353518.622.4223418.1
up_arrow.gif
317114%

Page Views per user for Afl.com.au:

The number of unique pages viewed per user per day for this site
Yesterday1 wk. Avg.3 mos. Avg.3 mos. Change6372.4012.5212.4
up_arrow.gif
2140%

Looked at the Alexa site...according to it, afl is ranked 10,000ish and bigfooty 450,000ish

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=www.bigfooty.com.au

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=www.afl.com.au

Not sure how the graph above was generated but interesting stats none the less. Not really useful thou as only users with the Alexa toolbar count towards the traffic numbers so effectively it will compare an individuals use of both afl and bigfooty IF you have the toolbar.

And as far as I am aware, NO Mac user - BigPond member or not, and I am one - can access ANY of the video on afl.com.au AT ALL. I have had this acknowledged in a personal email from the CEO of BigPond, who is a mate from decades ago. No, I won't post his personal email address here. But I have drawn his attention to this forum, so, in the hope that he actually looks at it, post your comments and let him know what you think.

In my opinion (and I'm a Mac consultant), Mac users are totally disenfranchised by afl.com.au and we should RAISE HELL about it. Let BigPond know, let the AFL know, and let Toyota know.
Macs for BigPond fullstop are disenfranchised - my family have always used Macs and used to use BigPond back in the dial-up days, it was a total farce. In the end we gave up in disgust, went to iPrimus and are totally happy.

As for the website in question, still can't get it to fully load with either Safari or Firefox or Shiira (to be fair though, Shiira is pretty rubbish). The excuses put forward that we don't have enough of the market share are rubbish. To use two examples of large websites expected to cater to a wide variety of users:

monash.jpg

theage.jpg

Both of these work fine on my Mac. In particular, I have to use the Monash website for some extremely important stuff (managing my fees etc), and I've never had a problem. To suggest there's not enough of a market share for Mac to bother with compatability is simply laziness on the part of BigPond, and the AFL have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Yes it's true, they cite a lack of users.

Firefox is supported because it's so popular with windows as a browser as well although it took Tel$tra a few weeks to even get to properly support Firefox.

Also their reason why they wont make it compatible with Opera is the same as Safari, not enough people use it to make it fully tested and compatible. :rolleyes:

ah but the newly released safari 3 supports all the crap bouncing stats and ladders onthe site, stuff i could never see on my mac without going to firefox. maybe afl.com.au was just ahead of the curve.... still no video though.

Re: '96 AFL website > '07 AFL website

Whats happening with the AFL site now a days?? It is still crap??

I haven't visted the site in over 3 weeks.

Re: '96 AFL website > '07 AFL website

I go there for DreamTeam and thats it. I'll be doing a different one next year to avoid the site altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the website, takes forever to load and thats when you can get it to load and usually full of errors typical Telstra crap.....your call will be monitored for training....blah....blah.....blah no i dont want fries with that....blah...blah...blah

Only reason i go there is to watch the live stats and game details, so if anybody can give me an alternative website which covers the game details live i will be forever gratefull to put the AFL website where it belongs......in my rubbish bin.

Help me!!!

Yep. It's centre aligned. Now there's one major part out of the way. Next step is to work on the design, which is an abomination. How busy does it look? Incredible.

Can anyone tell me why:

My computer freezes for 10 seconds while the main page loads, freezes for about 5 for every other page on the site.

Makes the window come back on every 3 seconds when loading a page, making it impossible to do anything else at the same time.

Its as bad a virus that pisses around with your computer.

Can anyone tell me why:

My computer freezes for 10 seconds while the main page loads, freezes for about 5 for every other page on the site.

Makes the window come back on every 3 seconds when loading a page, making it impossible to do anything else at the same time.

Its as bad a virus that pisses around with your computer.

I thought it would be obvious. It is AFL.com.au, after all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back