Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
FB: Surjan, Carlile, Trengove
HB: Stewart, Chaplin, Krakour
C: Pearce, Boak, Hartlett
HF: Rodan, Tredrea, *Tapscott*
FF: Pettigrew, Schultz, Motlop
Fol: Brogan, Ebert, Dom
Int: Kane, Chadd, Lobbe, Broadbent

Look alot straighter with Schultz in the side. With out the Burgoyne's and Lade (and even Toby to a certain degree) we take on a compleetly different look. Not as speedy or as polished out side, but tougher and alot more No-Frills like!

Ebert but no Salopek :confused:

Are you expecting Ebert to grow six inches taller and hugely improve his fitness and pace in the off season?

Isn't Schulz an elite runner? I'd expect him at CHF and playing a Reiwoldt turbine engine sorta role for us. Nash will go to the half back flank moving Sala back into the middle now junior is gone.

Depends on how dinkum Choco is about playing young talls and the new draftees we will get.

Look alot straighter with Schultz in the side. With out the Burgoyne's and Lade (and even Toby to a certain degree) we take on a compleetly different look. Not as speedy or as polished out side, but tougher and alot more No-Frills like!

I posted a team in another thread but I would be very disappointed if Schultz is in front of Salter. Personally Salter needs to play this year. S Stewart showed enough to get games ahead of Pettigrew and Paul Stewart got pants last year and he wouldn't be in the starting 22 for me either. Krakour needs to play on a wing for me. I reckon Ebo will struggle to get in too.

So swap Chad with Stewart, Trengove to the Bench, Hartlett to the Half back flank and Krakour to wing. Salter in Schultz out.

ebert as follower ? lolol
not quite but i like the optimism

it does look a lot sexier though :)
chadd to CHB and chuck salter in there at FF
Shultz i doubt will act as a key forward...more likely to be back pocket or something
im thinking :

FB: Shultz Carlile Trengove
HB: Chaplin Chad Surj
C: Ebert/Hartlett Boak Sal
HF: Hoff Tredrea Gray
FF: Motlop Salter Kraq/*Tapscott*
Fol: Broges Kane/Pearce Dom
INT: Lobbe Nash Broady Rodan

tallest backline ever lol
dont think mines too good :p
but yeah main hope is the centre line

Getting Jay Nash means we should've really looked to move on one of our mid-size defenders like Stewart or Pettigrew.

Getting Jay Nash means we should've really looked to move on one of our mid-size defenders like Stewart or Pettigrew.

Perhaps we are allowing their contracts to lapse as a sacrificial lamb to Gold Coast?

Surjan Carlile Chaplin
Nash Cornes Krakouer
Pearce Boak Hartlett
Ebert Tredrea Motlop
Salter D.Stewart *Tapscott

Brogan, Cassisi, Gray

K.Cornes, Salopek, Rodan, Lobbe

Next In: Broadbent, Banner, Westhoff, Pettigrew, Schultz, Trengove

In my opinion D.Stewart is a better prospect than than Westoff and i dont think you can have both in the one side.
P.Stewart is not up to AFL and Nash will play ahead of him.

Gray, Ebert and Salopek to rotate through the centre square

B: Surjan - Carlile - Chaplin
HB: Hartlett - C. Cornes - Krakouer
C: Boak - Cassisi - Salopek
HF: Gray - J. Westhoff - Rodan
F: Salter - Tredrea - D. Motlop
Foll: Brogan - K. Cornes - Pearce
Int: Davenport, Broadbent, Davenport, Tapscott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Surjan, Carlile, Chaplin
HB: Nash, Cornes, Rodan
C: Pearce, Dom, Salopek
HF: Davenport, Tredrea, Sarg
F: Motlop, Salter, Gray

Foll: Brogan, Boak, Kane/Hartlett

We have a lot of options. Gray can move into the guts, Davenport could live on a wing. Sal, Hartlett, Broadbent + all midfielders that have more to offer. Exciting times, exciting times

Surjan Carlile Chaplin
P Stewart? Chad Broadbent
Salopek Boak Hartlett
Pearce Salter Motlop
Westhoff Tredrea Krakouer

Brogan, Cassisi, Kane

Gray, Ebert, Rodan, Lobbe

May be one small/mid size defender short, but that's down to matchups. I don't want to see the Krak wasted the way Pettigrew has been. Still Schultz/Nash/Petttigrew all have some experience in defence even if it isn't their first 'calling'.

B: Surjan, Carlile, Nash
HB: Cornes, Chaplin, Krak
C: Boak, Dom, Salopek
HF: Schultz, Tredrea, Rodan
F: Motlop, Salter, Gray

Foll: Brogan, Pearce, Kane

INT: Lobbe, Davenport, Ebert/Broadbent, Hartlett

As much as I'd like to see Krak in the FP or maybe a wing, i don't see it happening. Ebert and Westhoff will probably see thier careers hanging, particularly Ebert.The Hoff may get a reprieve if Schultz continues to be a dud.

My one "probably not" type situation is Pearce in the guts. I believe he asked Mark if he could replace Jnr Burgers position and i might be willing to give it a try. In preseason at least, to see if he can develop a little there. Cornes to be the third tall, loose-ish man in defense.

Perhaps I'm a little drunk, but with the new additions (including 3 first rounders) I'm becoming pretty optimistic about next year. Carn Port!!!! etc.

B: Surjan, Carlile, Chaplin
HB: Nash, C Cornes, Cassisi
C: Boak, K Cornes, Pearce
HF: Gray, Tredrea, Ebert
F: Motlop, Salter, Schulz

Foll: Brogan, Salopek, Rodan

INT: Lobbe/J Westhoff, Davenport, Krakouer, Hartlett
Emg: Thomas, Broadbent, Trengrove/D Stewart

Schulz is a good contested mark and kick so i would play him closer to goal. Don't under estimate him I think in an enviroment of teaching like Choco & now Deano can offer along with some confidence he could be a strong target up forward. Needs to work on defensive pressure. Nash is someone I rate, rough with great foot skills ideal off half bank. I would also look at Dom across half back for the same reasons. Ruck is a concern particularly if Brogs gets injuried, need to look at picking up a back up in the Pre season draft. Lobbe could be good and Westhoff does O.K. but only as part timers. Hoff just needs to get back to basic football and hard work which would add alot to our forward line. This is the advantage of Schulz he will take another big opposition defender that may give Hoff some extra freedom.

All those sides look a lot weaker in the absence of Junior Burger :(

However, what will be the step forward will be the potential new additions from the first round of the draft. Neither of our recycled recruits would be walk up starts to the team, IMO....

Hopefully, some inspired draft choices will more than compensate the loss of Shaun.

B Surjan ~ Carlile ~ Trengove/Broadbent
HB Nash ~ Chaplin ~ Cornes
C Krakouer ~ Cassisi ~ Pearce
HF D. Motlop ~ D. Stewart ~ Rodan
F Salter ~ Tredrea ~ Gray
R Brogan ~ Boak ~ Kornes
IC Lobbe, Hartlett, Salopek, Davenport
E Thomas, Ebert, Redden

Notes/Musings/Rationale
  • Daniel Stewart thrown in the deep end at CHF. Sink or swim. Huge frame, can run, reminds me of Kurt Tippett with the way he goes about it.
  • No Westhoffs. Matthew has terminal Centrals disease (too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL) and if Justin can't stack 7-10kgs on through his core at age 23, there's just no point sacrificing the likes of Tredrea's game for him anymore.
  • Nash plugged straight into halfback to play as a true halfback. No more sacrificing of Krakouer and Salopek's progress in order to fill some mythical niche role just because Hodge won a Norm Smith doing it.
  • Trengove to get some games depending on matchups as he continues the long road back.
  • Pearce, Krakouer, Motlop, Rodan, (Davenport, Hartlett) to play primarily as linkmen between defence and attack - our transition speed was abysmal last year both going forward and resisting on the turnover. This must change.
  • Chad to bolster the defence with less of a key position and more a third-up role to maximise his elite reading of the play.
  • Gray to alternate between forward pocket and midfield as he follows the GAJ method of building his tank.
  • Tredrea to share the goalsquare with Salter as part of the forward rotations. On top of Stewart's presence, the variation in sizes, attributes and style makes the trio an awkward matchup for any defence.
  • Salopek to play midfield or not at all.
  • Boak to play primarily inside as he did starring at the Gabba last season.
  • Kornes to play as less a tireless outside runner achieving little by way of impact and more as he did when he was 21/22. The hardnosed ballwinning tagger who mutiliated Simon Black on Grand Final day and backed it up with a thoroughly deserved All-Australian guernsey the following year.
  • Captain Cassisi to return to being a fulltime in-and-under grunt in the true Port Adelaide tradition. None of this flank stuff. Guts or bench rotation.
  • Thomas, Logan, Ebert, Pettigrew, Schulz to only get a game if there's an injury holocaust or in MT's case, Showdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

New look port side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back