Status
Not open for further replies.

blues1985

Senior List
Jul 1, 2007
bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
:thumbsu:guys my niece and her fiancee who is involed at the saints fitness departmant has just been here for a visit he has just told me goose has no problems what so ever he work very closley on his foot problems which were caused by his running style so he thinks he will be a great pick up for the blues:)

I'm glad he thinks that, but any impartial observer who actually watches football will know that Goose is finished as an AFL footballer.

He was starting to go backwards even before his injuries. Too slow for the modern game, and Austin will be a far better CHB than Maguire ever was.

Don't want.

:thumbsu:guys my niece and her fiancee who is involed at the saints fitness departmant has just been here for a visit he has just told me goose has no problems what so ever he work very closley on his foot problems which were caused by his running style so he thinks he will be a great pick up for the blues:)

This will not make TG happy.

I'll take the positives out of it, and keep my fingers crossed we get him.

I don't understand why everyone is against him being drafted by Carlton, sure he has had some injuries in the past but Juddy has had many problems with his groin yet I don't see people on here saying we shouldn't have traded for him. Oh and I bet if we do draft the Goose and he comes good all of you will be saying I knew Carlton should of drafted him, I knew he had put his injuries behind him. I've seen some posters on here say that this board is turning into the Richmond board, well they are wronge, you guys are turning worse than the Richmond board, what ever happened to the saying "If he is a Carlton player then I will support them"

I don't understand why everyone is against him being drafted by Carlton, sure he has had some injuries in the past but Juddy has had many problems with his groin yet I don't see people on here saying we shouldn't have traded for him. Oh and I bet if we do draft the Goose and he comes good all of you will be saying I knew Carlton should of drafted him, I knew he had put his injuries behind him. I've seen some posters on here say that this board is turning into the Richmond board, well they are wronge, you guys are turning worse than the Richmond board, what ever happened to the saying "If he is a Carlton player then I will support them"

I wasn't aware that Matt Maguire played for Carlton. I apologise.

On an entirely unrelated matter, Mark Austin, who does in fact play for Carlton, has my full support, and will be a better CHB than Maguire ever was.

Also, just quietly, I think Chris Judd might possibly have reached a higher level of performance in his career than Matt Maguire.

Great news, THANKS:thumbsu:

On an entirely unrelated matter, Mark Austin, who does in fact play for Carlton, has my full support, and will be a better CHB than Maguire ever was.

So Aussie is going to be an All Australian?????

This is not a dig at Aussie at all i just find that statement you made very outlandish. If his body is right McGuire will be a great pick up for us. Still has currency in our team IMO and will surprise many bashers when given a go.

If nothing else he'll give us depth in the back line.We copped a few injuries last year to our defenders and had to do some patch up work,if Goose can get himself back on track and Ratts & Co think he's up to it then i'm with them:thumbsu:

So Aussie is going to be an All Australian?????

This is not a dig at Aussie at all i just find that statement you made very outlandish. If his body is right McGuire will be a great pick up for us. Still has currency in our team IMO and will surprise many bashers when given a go.

Remind me what year Maguire was All Australian?

I think Austin has possibly the most potential out of all our young defenders. Maguire was playing awful football before his injuries (Jason Cloke style), and I think he is a spent force as a player.

I think you might actually be surprised just how far Goose has slipped...

I'd back our young defenders over somebody whose last half-decent season was in 2005 any day.

Remind me what year Maguire was All Australian?

I think Austin has possibly the most potential out of all our young defenders. Maguire was playing awful football before his injuries (Jason Cloke style), and I think he is a spent force as a player.

I think you might actually be surprised just how far Goose has slipped...

I'd back our young defenders over somebody whose last half-decent season was in 2005 any day.

He was All Australian in 05 (you knew that anyway!)and while i can see where you are coming from talent does not grow on trees and Matty has a bit of it. Aussie has potential no doubt and i love the guy but McGuires inclusion will not force Aussie out of the team if that is what you are worried about. We will have great depth down back with Matty in the team and his body is the issue and i am confident our medicos will be able to get him right . Injuries and opportunity have dealt Matty a cruel blow the last couple of years and he should not be judged harshly because of it.

We will get him for next to nothing and lets give him a chance i say. If it does not work out we have lost nothing more than a late pick we probably would of passed on anyway in a weak draft.

He was All Australian in 05 (you knew that anyway!)and while i can see where you are coming from talent does not grow on trees and Matty has a bit of it. Aussie has potential no doubt and i love the guy but McGuires inclusion will not force Aussie out of the team if that is what you are worried about. We will have great depth down back with Matty in the team and his body is the issue and i am confident our medicos will be able to get him right . Injuries and opportunity have dealt Matty a cruel blow the last couple of years and he should not be judged harshly because of it.

We will get him for next to nothing and lets give him a chance i say. If it does not work out we have lost nothing more than a late pick we probably would of passed on anyway in a weak draft.

Maguire has never been All Australian.

Why didn't St Kilda's fitness department tell Lyon the news Maguire is ready to go?

Lyon needs a tall defender after delisting Hudghton and Allen, yet Maguire was delisted too.

If Maguire isn't good enough for St Kilda and Lyon, why would we want him?

I believe Richmond will even draft Polak as a mature rookie

Yet St Kilda haven't made a similar commitment to Maguire if he can play again. They will rely on Dawson who is playing like a spud in the GF that was just on. Maguire is finished as a gun defender who can kicks long goals after running down the ground.

Waite, Austin, Thornton and Bower have Maguire's spot covered.
If nothing else he'll give us depth in the back line.We copped a few injuries last year to our defenders and had to do some patch up work,if Goose can get himself back on track and Ratts & Co think he's up to it then i'm with them:thumbsu:
An injury prone KPP will be back up in case our defenders are injured? :rolleyes:

Did Maguire have a good Grand Final and a great 2009? :confused:

Maguire wouldn't be any quicker over the ground than Hartlett on a lead.

Bad leg injuries can cost a player their pace and agility.

Look at Whitnall who bad knees and struggled to 200 games because they prevented him from training.

Maybe we can get Matt Egan if form from three years ago is all that counts in a KPP with a badly broken leg or foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadly I agree with you, TG. He hasn't played much footy for 3 years and yeah, there have to be some serious doubts.

I'm happy with our list of established tall defenders in Austin, Bower, Jamison, Waite and Thornton. So unless we have another horror year with injuries, I can't see he's a chance at all. As a forward, well 19 career goals doesn't inspire any confidence over what Cloke, Fisher or o'hAilpin might contribute.

Tempering your pessimism, we have nothing to lose giving him approximately a month to train the house down and prove he's worthy. Some other club, besides Sydney, would pick him before us in the PSD, no?

Goose will never get back to the form he was in prior to him breaking his leg, but what you will get from him is 110%, and we will also be getting someone who has some serious experience at AFL level.

With all of the backman we have at our disposal, perhaps the club are looking at playing in the FP, to give some help and experience to Henderson, who has suddenly become our focal point. Should we land Maguire, it means that we can play Waite back, along with Jamo, Bower and Thornton.

Why didn't St Kilda's fitness department tell Lyon the news Maguire is ready to go?

Lyon needs a tall defender after delisting Hudghton and Allen, yet Maguire was delisted too.

-Allen? He was a key forward.

If Maguire isn't good enough for St Kilda and Lyon, why would we want him?
- How do you know that the decisison wasnt instigated by Maguire? Maybe he wanted to get out of Morabbin? You show me where there is a qoute from a St Kilda Official saying he was delisted due to Injuries or becasue he was not up to standards.

I believe Richmond will even draft Polak as a mature rookie

Yet St Kilda haven't made a similar commitment to Maguire if he can play again. They will rely on Dawson who is playing like a spud in the GF that was just on. Maguire is finished as a gun defender who can kicks long goals after running down the ground.

- How do you know? Did you go and watch Sandy this year every match? Maybe the MC would have a different role for Maaguire?

Waite, Austin, Thornton and Bower have Maguire's spot covered.

- Wait will play forward, so take him out. The MC have said all along they woudl love to release T-bird to a HBF so he could be attacking. Whilst i am a huge Austin fan, and beleive he could be an absoloute beauty he has not shown at any stage that he will be a top line CHB. Infact i cannot recall him ever playing on one of the oppostions premier big forwards. Maguire has shown he can do this at the top level, and was going sensationally until hsi injury. While it is unlikely he will reach that level, its not out of the question and its not like the man is a cripple. If his medical checks out, then there is no reason why he cannot return to some good AFL form. Whilst you will argue he didnt show form in the VFL, well he did. He played well at both ends, and should have been called up many times. Infact go onthe the saints board and you would have seen their outrage at the number of times he was not picked. And how do you know he is not one of those players that plays better amongst top line AFL players. He has not had a chance to show his wares on the top level, and there a hardly a number of AFL standard forwards running around in the magooss so his role changed virtaully every week.

An injury prone KPP will be back up in case our defenders are injured? :rolleyes:

- Jamison and Bower both have constant injury problems. Maguire hasnt been injured for the best part of a year. He missed 1 week with a Hammy this year. Hardly injury prone of late. He would ahve been nice up in Brisbane this year. You cannot say Jamison and Bower will play 20 games next year, as they are constantly injured.

Did Maguire have a good Grand Final and a great 2009? :confused:

Maguire wouldn't be any quicker over the ground than Hartlett on a lead.

- ??? Bad point. Hartlett got over the ground extremely well for a big man? And i would back maguire in to say he is quicker than that anyway. we are both just guessing. We are not privy to testing results.

Bad leg injuries can cost a player their pace and agility.

- Thats why he will be tested. The key word in there was CAN. From what i saw he was moving fine throughout the year, nothing like a man who had constant injuries and was a "cripple".

Look at Whitnall who bad knees and struggled to 200 games because they prevented him from training.

Maybe we can get Matt Egan if form from three years ago is all that counts in a KPP with a badly broken leg or foot.

- He hasnt recovered. Maguire has. Big Difference

Whether you like it or not, he is coming down to train and if recent trends are to go by, the MC will pick him up. Every player under Ratten who has come down to train has been picked up.

- How do you know that the decisison wasnt instigated by Maguire? Maybe he wanted to get out of Morabbin? You show me where there is a qoute from a St Kilda Official saying he was delisted due to Injuries or becasue he was not up to standards.

I don't require a quote from a St Kilda official. I think the statement made by the St Kilda officials who comprise the match committee, in not selecting Maguire for one game for 2010, speaks volumes.

Maguire has shown he can do this at the top level, and was going sensationally until hsi injury.

Wrong. Maguire was being found out for pace and agility, and had become one-dimensional as a serviceable third man up at best. Good courage, but only a slightly better version than Jason Cloke. His career started with plenty of promise, but it will never be fulfilled. And not just because of injuries.

I would much rather the club takes a punt in the draft on a player like Daniel Archer, who might develop nicely as a key forward in an AFL environment, than someone who is clearly not up to it.

Thornton, Jamison, Waite, Bower and Austin are better key backs. I would rather play Joe Anderson as a key defender over Maguire, and that is taking into account Anderson's lack of height, skill and experience.

Broadly I agree with you, TG. He hasn't played much footy for 3 years and yeah, there have to be some serious doubts.

I'm happy with our list of established tall defenders in Austin, Bower, Jamison, Waite and Thornton. So unless we have another horror year with injuries, I can't see he's a chance at all. As a forward, well 19 career goals doesn't inspire any confidence over what Cloke, Fisher or o'hAilpin might contribute.

Tempering your pessimism, we have nothing to lose giving him approximately a month to train the house down and prove he's worthy. Some other club, besides Sydney, would pick him before us in the PSD, no?
I think the strategy behind even "thinking" about giving Maguire a try is to do everything possible to be able to play Waite as an attacking wingman rather than waste his flair in the back half trying to shut down the oppositions stars.
If we can have the luxury of playing Waite across the middle and into the forward 50 it will worry the sh1t out of the opposition.
So, lets do everything possible to get someone else (say- Maguire) into the back half to be able to release Jarrard.
Who knows, Maguire might make a good FB which would release Jamo to CHB??
The opportunites are huge to make many adjustments if Maguire could get back to his old form. It could also provide an opportunity for Thornton to go forward more often.
So, who knows.........lets just see where he's at. It won't cost us much if it doesn't work, but it has a great "upside" if it does. :D

i agree. better to have an open mind and see what happens before passing judgement now !!!!:rolleyes:

Maguire has never been All Australian.
like a dog with a bone you wont let go will you!!! like chism said, he wont cost carlton anything, and at least he is tough and strong which is a quality that is lacking in our backline. let ratten and the medicos decide the answer anyway.

like a dog with a bone you wont let go will you!!! like chism said, he wont cost carlton anything, and at least he is tough and strong which is a quality that is lacking in our backline. let ratten and the medicos decide the answer anyway.

To say he won't cost Carlton anything is absolute rubbish...

He will cost us a spot on the list that we could be using to give a kid with untapped potential a shot. More often than not the kids that get pick up late in the draft end up discarded but every so often you strike gold with guys like Betts, Garlett and Joseph.

That is a risk worth taking over a guy that having seen play quite a few times this year has shown that he doesn't have the pace and agility required to function properly in the modern game.

He was never that good before injury and since then he has hardly played a game in 3 years and lost a yard of pace as well as the ability to turn.

His current athletic ability I would rate on par with Adam Hartlett, and having seen Hartlett given a bath by a 20 year old Jesse White tells me that you can't afford to bring slow guys into a side anymore, especially not as key defenders.

I would be backing Wayne Hughes to uncover a gem late in the draft, because afterall, that's what he's getting paid to do.

He would cost us a spot on the list where we might uncover the new joseph betts jameson etc...thats what he would cost us...
.. a guy that cant get a game before dawson and dawson would never get a game for us....

Pardon?

He said Maguire was All Australian in 2005, I merely corrected him.

Of course Maguire won't cost anything... Except a spot on our list which might have been used to develop a young forward. If we are only planning on making two or three selections in the national draft, I would much rather use our speculative pick on a Daniel Archer or Levi Casboult type than someone who already has their best football behind them.

Pardon?

He said Maguire was All Australian in 2005, I merely corrected him.

Of course Maguire won't cost anything... Except a spot on our list which might have been used to develop a young forward. If we are only planning on making two or three selections in the national draft, I would much rather use our speculative pick on a Daniel Archer or Levi Casboult type than someone who already has their best football behind them.

Someone who has hardly played in three years.. and a succesion of breaks in the leg you mean...

.. oh yeah.. they took the rod out ... that means he will be a gun ....lol

laughable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back