Next game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is it?

Im guessing an away game is in order.

Please be Adelaide in SA.

No! That would suck! I'll be in Adelaide next weekend but I wouldn't be able to go :(

I was thinking more along the lines of Hawthorn at a non-official AFL ground somewhere in Melbourne anyway. Or even Aurora...?

That would make sense to me.

Not at Joondalup because of the cost VenuesWest were asking for.

p149 20/2/10 West Australian
AFL game forced move in cost row
DALE MILLER

The WA Football Commission has been forced to move next month's NAB regional challenge match, featuring West Coast or Fremantle, away from Arena Joondalup after a breakdown in negotiations with the venue's managing body.

The fixture, which had been scheduled for March 6, will now be played at either Fremantle Oval or Medibank Stadium after the commission failed to reach terms with ground administrator VenuesWest, citing high fees as the sticking point.

The decision was made on Thursday, ending four months of talks over the match.

The game will only take place if at least one of WA's two AFL teams are knocked out of the NAB Cup before the semifinals.

WAFC facilities director Geoff Glass said the commission had intended to put any profits from the game towards improving the venue's gym and player facilities, which are used by West Perth.

He said the WAFC had not been confident of getting a reasonable return under the licensing arrangements proposed by VenuesWest.

A $5000 licence fee and car parking charges were among the costs being sought by the venue administrator, which also manages other State-owned sporting facilities such as Challenge Stadium and the new WA Basketball Centre.

The WAFC delivered a scathing assessment of the stance taken by VenuesWest in a statement delivered to the AFL.

"(VenuesWest) might well want the game at their venue because of the prestige that it brings, but it will be at football's expense where they can maximise their return from the game knowing that it's underwritten by the AFL," the statement said.

VenuesWest chief executive David Etherton said the organisation had committed to putting part of the license fee towards ground improvements that would benefit West Perth, claiming he was surprised by the WAFC's decision.

"The licence fee was a very low licence fee and significantly reduced from what we would normally provide and I understood they'd (the WAFC) emailed us and told us they were happy with it," Etherton said.

West Perth chief executive Brett Raponi said the club was hugely disappointed with losing the AFL fixture, predicting the match would have raised about $50,000 in revenue.

West Coast will be ruled out of the regional challenge clash if the club defeats Port Adelaide in next Saturday's NAB Cup quarterfinal.

[article continues with non-venue related stuff]...

Collingwood Vs West Coast @ Ballarat would be alright actually.

Just no injuries please.

We remember what happened last time we played the pies in a trial :( mitch Brown
Yeah, I'd like that. Take the family for a drive up to Ballarat

certainly our info says Carlton plays in the west. Cannot imagine playing WC at Freo oval but stranger things have happened. Joondalup would make sense but it is typical of how things go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yer, Freo got a goal with 8 seconds to spare.

So people are saying we won't be travelling interstate...? That would be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back