NFL Div 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim Atkins to Whittlesea? Interesting to see how he would go, been at a couple clubs now you would think boro would have another crack seeing as hooper is gone.

So I'm hearing Ahmed Saad has actually signed at west, is this true? By now he would surely know if an AFL club will pick him up.

Bundy the team to beat in my opinion.

Discussion point - How the hell AFL Vic and their leagues seriously think they are going to manage and control player payments? Seeing clubs landing big names after big names in the Leader articles (Namely Heidelberg, and digressing slightly from the NFL thread Balwyn) and they are trying to say that clubs are going to be playing within the rules and not going over.

Reading the comments on Facebook, having conversations with footy people and reading forums like this they are all commenting about the Salary Cap system and how highlighting how farcical it really is. The general consensus is - how on earth do they plan on stopping a cash payment been made under the table, in a car park, to the misses etc. etc.)

My point is, before its first season in place the Salary Cap has already been lauded as a joke and failure by the general local footballing public. Why have a system in place which is universally canned and generates ridicule whenever it's brought up or a new "big name" player comes in? It makes AFL Vic and the leagues look incompetent.

We saw last year the player points system come in and work well, the leagues should focus on continually striving to have clubs with minimal points as possible, with grants, rewards and incentives in place to actually promote teams growing from the ground up.

Otherwise these big "powerhouse" (no 19s been a common denominator here with these clubs, therefore in my opinion they shouldn't be branded powerhouse clubs as they often do) clubs will continue to take the piss out of this system and the rest of us will continually scratch our heads as to how this concept would be ever seen as a good idea.

Discussion point - How the hell AFL Vic and their leagues seriously think they are going to manage and control player payments? Seeing clubs landing big names after big names in the Leader articles (Namely Heidelberg, and digressing slightly from the NFL thread Balwyn) and they are trying to say that clubs are going to be playing within the rules and not going over.

Reading the comments on Facebook, having conversations with footy people and reading forums like this they are all commenting about the Salary Cap system and how highlighting how farcical it really is. The general consensus is - how on earth do they plan on stopping a cash payment been made under the table, in a car park, to the misses etc. etc.)

My point is, before its first season in place the Salary Cap has already been lauded as a joke and failure by the general local footballing public. Why have a system in place which is universally canned and generates ridicule whenever it's brought up or a new "big name" player comes in? It makes AFL Vic and the leagues look incompetent.

We saw last year the player points system come in and work well, the leagues should focus on continually striving to have clubs with minimal points as possible, with grants, rewards and incentives in place to actually promote teams growing from the ground up.

Otherwise these big "powerhouse" (no 19s been a common denominator here with these clubs, therefore in my opinion they shouldn't be branded powerhouse clubs as they often do) clubs will continue to take the piss out of this system and the rest of us will continually scratch our heads as to how this concept would be ever seen as a good idea.[/QUOTE
Please, looks like the Greensborough sheltered work shops got a computer for the clients to play with.

Otherwise these big "powerhouse" (no 19s been a common denominator here with these clubs, therefore in my opinion they shouldn't be branded powerhouse clubs as they often do) clubs will continue to take the piss out of this system and the rest of us will continually scratch our heads as to how this concept would be ever seen as a good idea.

100% agree. I cannot see how a local league administers such a thing. No issue with a controllable, like the point system, but saying all player payments will be inline with contract submitted to league is just laughable. I can still remember Gordon Tallis's misses was getting paid $250k to pick up glasses at the Bronco's League Club.......only time she was sighted there she was not exactly picking them up....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discussion point - How the hell AFL Vic and their leagues seriously think they are going to manage and control player payments?

The only real enforcement mechanism that they have is whistleblowers.

The important things is for clubs to only promise what they can afford. If clubs spend up big, only to find out they have overcommitted and can't afford their player payments, if a player is out of pocket by enough, and they are pissed off enough then the club might find themselves on the wrong end of an AFL Vic investigation.

Similarly, you would want to make sure that who ever has access to your second set of books is never going to leave the club on particular bad terms. Otherwise they might feel inclined to send a copy of those books to league HQ.

The only real enforcement mechanism that they have is whistleblowers.

The important things is for clubs to only promise what they can afford. If clubs spend up big, only to find out they have overcommitted and can't afford their player payments, if a player is out of pocket by enough, and they are pissed off enough then the club might find themselves on the wrong end of an AFL Vic investigation.

Similarly, you would want to make sure that who ever has access to your second set of books is never going to leave the club on particular bad terms. Otherwise they might feel inclined to send a copy of those books to league HQ.
Well despite the denial of clubs via their supporters on forums like this, it's fairly easy to garner what clubs spend. Your right in that most info re club spends comes from committee people past and present who are either disgruntled or don't feel satisfied with the clubs direction. I think if clubs want run to the gauntlet and over spend, then enough info will bubble to the surface for an investigation to begin. I don't think any individual should think it's a risk worth taking when the ball starts rolling and the consequences start to mount up.

Well despite the denial of clubs via their supporters on forums like this, it's fairly easy to garner what clubs spend. Your right in that most info re club spends comes from committee people past and present who are either disgruntled or don't feel satisfied with the clubs direction. I think if clubs want run to the gauntlet and over spend, then enough info will bubble to the surface for an investigation to begin. I don't think any individual should think it's a risk worth taking when the ball starts rolling and the consequences start to mount up.

Reality of the matter is that there is probably only one club in first division, unhappy with the limit. The rest will welcome it.

I've actually spoken to Brett Connell from AFL Vic and they are employing integrity officers to audit randomly, so if clubs want to run the gauntlet, go for it.

All good in theory, but do the ATO really want the be responsible for the doors shutting of local clubs? Volunteers most the time are the ones carrying the responsibility and workloads, I'm sure they too will be a monirory (more so than now) if the pressures continue to be applied

All good in theory, but do the ATO really want the be responsible for the doors shutting of local clubs? Volunteers most the time are the ones carrying the responsibility and workloads, I'm sure they too will be a monirory (more so than now) if the pressures continue to be applied

Very very good post.

The one club disgruntled by salary cap will go down the deer park path of paying 19s. Otherwise come 3 or 4 years they will not be able to fit a side under the reduced players point system.

They see this and it's inevitable. This is why they have gone out and bought another proven coach, to coach the under 19s.

Heats being paid roughly 20g to be an assistant and game day only coach just shows how much money they have to burn.

They ATO will never get involved. Very hard to prove payments if done correctly. We may live in a paypass and internet banking environment, but cash is always king.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The one club disgruntled by salary cap will go down the deer park path of paying 19s. Otherwise come 3 or 4 years they will not be able to fit a side under the reduced players point system.

They see this and it's inevitable. This is why they have gone out and bought another proven coach, to coach the under 19s.

Heats being paid roughly 20g to be an assistant and game day only coach just shows how much money they have to burn.

They ATO will never get involved. Very hard to prove payments if done correctly. We may live in a paypass and internet banking environment, but cash is always king.

"MONEY CAN'T BUY CULTURE"

Last edited:
Clubs and players will be in big trouble once the ATO gets involved.
I'm no accountant so if someone is, then feel free to correct me but I don't think the ATO can go after suburban players for payments they get. I recently heard that these payments come under a category that are not taxable, therefore they don't have to be declared. Someone with more knowledge might be able to clarify this.

Couldn't agree more "money can't buy culture", just ask Monty who are finally on the right path. I'd rather see teams who are home grown win any day, rather than money flags.

I also heard this brutal.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Div 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back