NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 tips
West Preston over Banyule, Saad and McDonah huge inclusions. Roosters by 27 points

Heidelberg to bounce back and beat the Boro at War Memorial. Tigers by 24 points

Mont vs Bundoora, match of the day, should be a cracker at Para Rd. McEvoy a big in for the Bulls. Bulls by 4 points

Nth Heidelberg to be too strong in Shane Harvey’s last game. He has averaged around 4.7 goals per game. Picking him to kick 6 and the doggies win by 32 points

Huge game for the Eagles at the Showgrounds, get back young gun Watson and Murphy which helps. Need to win to have any chance to avoid relegation. Bridges if they want to pay finals need to win this game. Bridges by 27 points

Montmorency are a very good football side - They have depth in the reserves as does Heidelberg and they are the stand outs for me
Everything has to go right for Bundoora injury wise cause they have nothing in reserve - Early in the season but Heidelberg then Monty then WP when they settle for mine
Talk at the footy today was a 2nd div player from Diamo got citied on Thursday and given 2 weeks - They appealed the decsion at Diamo and as the appeal couldnt be heard on Friday the player played today? How is he allowed to play today?
Dont know the rules but it seems wrong?

Wouldnt it have been a nice touch for the NFL to cover the North Heidelberg game today as respect to S Harvey instead of covering a nothing DIV 2 game?
Agree it would have been good for the Harvey farewell and they probably would have covered it in any other round but they covered the game they did because it is Pat Cronin round hence why the Lower Plenty game was "match of the day"

Montmorency are a very good football side - They have depth in the reserves as does Heidelberg and they are the stand outs for me
Everything has to go right for Bundoora injury wise cause they have nothing in reserve - Early in the season but Heidelberg then Monty then WP when they settle for mine
Talk at the footy today was a 2nd div player from Diamo got citied on Thursday and given 2 weeks - They appealed the decsion at Diamo and as the appeal couldnt be heard on Friday the player played today? How is he allowed to play today?
Dont know the rules but it seems wrong?
Makes complete sense, appeal to be heard (so the guilty verdict isn't finalised) so gets to play until appeal is heard.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough good to know, hope it dosent happen during a finals series - Do you get an extra week if you fail your appeal these days?

Pretty sure you get at least an added week if you fail in your appeal. However as was posted if you are reported in say a prelim final why not appeal and play and take the risk. It should not be an option. Tribunal should be able to sit on a Fri if needed. Lazy of the tribunal not to make sure loop holes like this do not happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure you get at least an added week if you fail in your appeal. However as was posted if you are reported in say a prelim final why not appeal and play and take the risk. It should not be an option. Tribunal should be able to sit on a Fri if needed. Lazy of the tribunal not to make sure loop holes like this do not happen.
I am told that they dont add a week if you lose the appeal LOL
It will be like the AFL now with appeals every week - Why not only costs $1500 which is not always lost!
Why dont the NFL post the tribunal results each week? Too hard

Is the reserves completion in a precarious state?
100%. Unfortunately we live in a time where people are forced to choose to work instead of enjoying the weekend and playing football.

The amount of guys who are pushed into overtime and Saturday work has just gotten astronomical. Not to mention working all over the state (if not country)

Unfortunately Saturday work seems the only pathway for some to enter or stay in the property market.

It feels like community footy in general is in a somewhat precarious state, which is really noticeable in the 2's comp.

I say that mostly in terms of participation rates
Totally agree
The world has changed since COVID and now the economic pressure impacting young people
Boys in their Mid 20's are walking away from football in their droves and you cant blame them - If they arent getting paid to play they have to pay to play and for tradies forgo $500 for a Saturday
It will only get worse next year unfortunately and all clubs will be impacted
Everything goes in a cycle but I reckon the next couple of years will see the under 19's promoted to the game before the seniors and reserves the early game

Totally agree
The world has changed since COVID and now the economic pressure impacting young people
Boys in their Mid 20's are walking away from football in their droves and you cant blame them - If they arent getting paid to play they have to pay to play and for tradies forgo $500 for a Saturday
It will only get worse next year unfortunately and all clubs will be impacted
Everything goes in a cycle but I reckon the next couple of years will see the under 19's promoted to the game before the seniors and reserves the early game
Is there any reason to play the reserves before seniors? Realistically it makes more sense to play the seniors first as you can replace any late outs with fresh players. You can give the opportunity for Ressies players to work up until 1 o’clock. Would that help?

Someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago and got baked for it… but I actually don’t mind the idea scrapping the 19’s. Players would play in a 17.5 comp and then go straight to reserves/ seniors. Would ease the burden on clubs. The whole “kids aren’t ready” argument goes out the window when you look at how many 20 year olds are playing in the under 19’s comp.

I totally agree with some previous posts.

Whilst it's not a death knell right now it will come. Reserves is a dying interest; the proof is out there.

I feel the concept some have used calling it a development team and with 19s also in an iffy space we could see only two games on a Saturday and an age restricted (U18s) on a Friday night coming in the future.

It will only when we see more clubs unable to find (aka ring/drag outta pub) 24 players on a sat morning (and I am positive if you look late in the season many magoos do not field a full complement, look now it's already happening and its only round 4) will leagues react that times are changing.

Someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago and got baked for it… but I actually don’t mind the idea scrapping the 19’s. Players play in a 17.5 comp and then go straight to reserves/ seniors. Would ease the burden on clubs. Not the whole “kids aren’t ready” goes out the window when you look at how many 20 year olds are playing in the under 19’s comp.

Agree, kids aren't ready bullsh!t goes out the window when we see the likes of Daicos and Ashcroft at the elite level.

19 year olds are adults.

Agree, kids aren't ready bullsh!t goes out the window when we see the likes of Daicos and Ashcroft at the elite level.

19 year olds are adults.
Please don't compare players that have been through elite pathways programs befroe entering thr AFL system, to under 19s who work at safeway on Thursday and play locally on Saturday. It's a ridiculous comparison.

The fact is if you scrap 19s, you would lose a hell of alot of platers. Not only would there be to many players for reserves, mates wouldn't be able to play together. And they way the world is now, they just wouldn't bother and give up all together.

There are 24 u/19 teams at the moment. Scrap them and where are you going to place those 600 + kids?

Please don't compare players that have been through elite pathways programs befroe entering thr AFL system, to under 19s who work at safeway on Thursday and play locally on Saturday. It's a ridiculous comparison.

The fact is if you scrap 19s, you would lose a hell of alot of platers. Not only would there be to many players for reserves, mates wouldn't be able to play together. And they way the world is now, they just wouldn't bother and give up all together.

There are 24 u/19 teams at the moment. Scrap them and where are you going to place those 600 + kids?
Not really. The way 2’s footy is going it’s very quickly becoming an under 19’s team comp anyway. A lot of clubs are really struggling to field reserves and are relying on 19’s to double up. You say there’s 24 under 19’s teams..I would ask 2 questions.
1. How many of these 24 are strong sustainable and viable teams?
2. Where will the majority of these 19’s kids end up playing anyway? In Div 1, A great deal of them end up playing senior footy at Div 2 clubs because they don’t want to play reserves at a Div 1 club.

The facts are across metro Melbourne footy clubs are struggling to get numbers. Especially in reserves. Combining 19’s and reserves is a viable option that will ease the burden on clubs to field teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back