NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

James Hirds son off to Hurstbridge. They are building quite a list. Playing on the tiny oval is the only road block for their success.
If you rate James Hird son of course…..

James Hirds son off to Hurstbridge. They are building quite a list. Playing on the tiny oval is the only road block for their success.
Won’t play a game though. If he does maybe 1 or 2. So not really adding to the list they have or help them play finals.

I thought he had left VFL but yep looks like still on the list
Looking at the transfers in & out McCleod and West Preston will fight out for Div 1 survival ?? How can these 2 great clubs bottom out so quickly? Yes it is all about money but surely these clubs have money to attract/keep players?

Looking at the transfers in & out McCleod and West Preston will fight out for Div 1 survival ?? How can these 2 great clubs bottom out so quickly? Yes it is all about money but surely these clubs have money to attract/keep players?
Unfortunately once you are good other clubs come for your players. Same as we’ve even seen at Heidelberg this off season. Unless you have seriously deep pockets you are going to lose them. 3 at Wangaratta alone for West Preston, a club guilty of salary cap cheating.

Macleod have had a decent run over the last 10 years with pretty much the same group. Have never forked out big coin (and highly doubt they ever will). Still a bit of existing talent and I don't think they will finish last, but the downward trend is a concern. Don't think there is much in the Junior pool either.
My relegation tip is WP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macleod have had a decent run over the last 10 years with pretty much the same group. Have never forked out big coin (and highly doubt they ever will). Still a bit of existing talent and I don't think they will finish last, but the downward trend is a concern. Don't think there is much in the Junior pool either.
My relegation tip is WP
Macleod have always lacked big blokes and they aren't or it seems they aren't willing to go out a get a few. Until they realise that you actually have to offer good coin for quality big blokes or have their own come through times will be tough

My relegation tip is WP
West seem to have recruit a couple, while not the same quality might save them from relegation.

Eltham probably in the zone for mine. Probably 10 of their flag side out for various reasons. Besides 1-2 pick ups they’ll need to fill those spots.

Is Lachie Wilson now back at Heidelberg full time? Heard he’s just a reserve for Richmond now and didn’t get a contract with the VFL team. Huge if it’s true

Is Lachie Wilson now back at Heidelberg full time? Heard he’s just a reserve for Richmond now and didn’t get a contract with the VFL team. Huge if it’s true
I can't find him on there final VFL list. So he may not have got a contract. Big for Heidelberg, he's probably the best player in the comp.

I spoke to the Football Manager from a NFNL Div 1 club during a round of golf during the week - He told me that he had around 45 senior players signed and 30 under 19 boys signed - I said that seems a bit short on is there any reason and he said no we will be fine no problem.
I didnt want to pi$$ him off but 45 senior players??? You wont have enough senior players to field 2 senior teams in round 1 after practice games in my experience - Have I lost touch??

I spoke to the Football Manager from a NFNL Div 1 club during a round of golf during the week - He told me that he had around 45 senior players signed and 30 under 19 boys signed - I said that seems a bit short on is there any reason and he said no we will be fine no problem.
I didnt want to pi$$ him off but 45 senior players??? You wont have enough senior players to field 2 senior teams in round 1 after practice games in my experience - Have I lost touch??
Well some of the 19s will play in the 2s I’d guess. You want 60 players minimum.

75 signed when you need 70 per week (22/24/24) to play 3 games may seem a bit tight but no doubt a few of the older twos players that have avoided preseason will appear closer to start. Injuries will happen but 75 signed players seems OK.

Just because they have 45 senior players signed doesn’t mean they don’t have 60 on the list, every club has many players who aren’t as committed at this time of year or are clubmen not worried about getting pen to paper as they consider themselves only as reserve players.

Just because they have 45 senior players signed doesn’t mean they don’t have 60 on the list, every club has many players who aren’t as committed at this time of year or are clubmen not worried about getting pen to paper as they consider themselves only as reserve players.
Exactly. Over 50% of 2s players won’t have a contract

Bulls VFL players

Maruff-Carlton
Jorgo-Bullants
Philp-Port
Fitzgerald - Williamstown
Kolar-Bullants
Bowne-GWS
Sturgess-Coburg
McMillan - Bullants

Probably missed one or two….Thats a few missing if they all get decent game time at VFL level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back