NFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Would the other clubs actually care if the top team was awarded a “premiership” in a cancelled season. If my club was second on the ladder I wouldn’t give a toss.

Perhaps the clubs that are given a premiership flag that way might not give a toss either.No way would you unfurl that flag next season are my thoughts.

From what I could see Echuca, Eurora and Seymour were all on 9 wins, Echuca had a better percentage and were obviously the ones handed the flag.
Farcical.
I don’t get it....why all the negativity to awarding a winner? We all know it’s not perfect, but clubs have been training and preparing since November last year. Why not reward the team that was on top when time was called? Two thirds of the season have been played so that is certainly enough to constitute a season. If the season was halted after Round 6 then different story. I’m ok with WPL, Banyule and South Morang to be crowned NFNL premiers. Better than no result like last year. Of course most supporters from all other teams wouldn’t agree, but take your own bias out if it and it’s the right call.

I don’t get it....why all the negativity to awarding a winner? We all know it’s not perfect, but clubs have been training and preparing since November last year. Why not reward the team that was on top when time was called? Two thirds of the season have been played so that is certainly enough to constitute a season. If the season was halted after Round 6 then different story. I’m ok with WPL, Banyule and South Morang to be crowned NFNL premiers. Better than no result like last year. Of course most supporters from all other teams wouldn’t agree, but take your own bias out if it and it’s the right call.
It's the most ridiculous call you they can make. I can guarantee you the West players and coach would be embarrassed to receive it. It would mean absolutely nothing. We have a finals series in Australian Rules Football for a reason and that's to earn your premiership

It's the most ridiculous call you they can make. I can guarantee you the West players and coach would be embarrassed to receive it. It would mean absolutely nothing. We have a finals series in Australian Rules Football for a reason and that's to earn your premiership
Not so sure about that Roosterslife. I reckon they would see it as reward for blood, sweat and tears not only this year but also last year. A lot of work has gone into the campaign both on and off the field so I’m pretty sure WPL, Banyule and South Morang would absolutely take it without a doubt! Probably not the way they’d prefer to do it, but would still be a proud achievement. Yes we play finals in Aussie Rules.....in a normal year. But we are not in normal times and adjustments need to be made that may be outside our normal square. You’re missing the point that we all agree it’s not a preferred way to do it, but one that fits the situation we are in. The alternative is that all that work, all that training, all that planning, all that playing for the whole competition is for absolutely nothing. What a waste when there is a solution, even if not perfect.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that Roosterslife. I reckon they would see it as reward for blood, sweat and tears not only this year but also last year. A lot of work has gone into the campaign both on and off the field so I’m pretty sure WPL, Banyule and South Morang would absolutely take it without a doubt! Probably not the way they’d prefer to do it, but would still be a proud achievement. Yes we play finals in Aussie Rules.....in a normal year. But we are not in normal times and adjustments need to be made that may be outside our normal square. You’re missing the point that we all agree it’s not a preferred way to do it, but one that fits the situation we are in. The alternative is that all that work, all that training, all that planning, all that playing I’m out competition is for absolutely nothing. What a waste when there is a solution, even if not perfect.
You are missing the point - Our game is about finals not Home & Away like soccer - If finishing on top of the ladder was the pinnacle then clubs would have been prepared - Nobody was
No club will celebrate a premiership because they finished on top of the ladder after 14 rounds - It has always been an 18 round season where upcoming opposition would have determined who finished on top

You are missing the point - Our game is about finals not Home & Away like soccer - If finishing on top of the ladder was the pinnacle then clubs would have been prepared - Nobody was
No club will celebrate a premiership because they finished on top of the ladder after 14 rounds - It has always been an 18 round season where upcoming opposition would have determined who finished on top
Not sure you read my post. Our game is about finals in normal circumstances. Agreed. But not a normal year. Let’s hope we get to play finals, but in the event that we don’t then get a result for the year we have had.

Not sure you read my post. Our game is about finals in normal circumstances. Agreed. But not a normal year. Let’s hope we get to play finals, but in the event that we don’t then get a result for the year we have had.
I think we agree - Just saying awarding a "Premiership" for a season when the home and away season is not completed to the top side in a snapshot of time is crazy! After 2 more rounds there may be a difference in ladder positions?? How can you celebrate that event??
If no more games are played just write the season off and don''t put clubs in an awkward position

you can't be serious.

They also lost to both euroa and Seymour 😂

There's probably by-laws involved but I'd like to think if they are awarding premiers or minor premiers after an incomplete season.
If teams are split on the same points instead of % it should go head to head record to determine ladder position and if it is even at that point then % becomes the deciding factor. Seems like a fairer way of determining the strongest team at the point the season halted.

For the record I'm more of the opinion of having some form of closure of the season with a premier or minor premier of some sorts.
It would be horribly deflating for players, coaches and volunteers saddling up in late October in 2020 and then having an incomplete & voided season in 2021 after 9 months of commitment & effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about that Roosterslife. I reckon they would see it as reward for blood, sweat and tears not only this year but also last year. A lot of work has gone into the campaign both on and off the field so I’m pretty sure WPL, Banyule and South Morang would absolutely take it without a doubt! Probably not the way they’d prefer to do it, but would still be a proud achievement. Yes we play finals in Aussie Rules.....in a normal year. But we are not in normal times and adjustments need to be made that may be outside our normal square. You’re missing the point that we all agree it’s not a preferred way to do it, but one that fits the situation we are in. The alternative is that all that work, all that training, all that planning, all that playing for the whole competition is for absolutely nothing. What a waste when there is a solution, even if not perfect.

Give it a spell mate.

Spot on.

There's probably by-laws involved but I'd like to think if they are awarding premiers or minor premiers after an incomplete season.
If teams are split on the same points instead of % it should go head to head record to determine ladder position and if it is even at that point then % becomes the deciding factor. Seems like a fairer way of determining the strongest team at the point the season halted.

For the record I'm more of the opinion of having some form of closure of the season with a premier or minor premier of some sorts.
It would be horribly deflating for players, coaches and volunteers saddling up in late October in 2020 and then having an incomplete & voided season in 2021 after 9 months of commitment & effort.

I have to disagree.

Why does there need to be a completion to the season? It hasn't been completed.

The closure is: Covid ruined the season and we move on to next year.

Just MHO but I reckon the embarrassment of handing out farcical premierships would be more deflating across the league than if it was left "incomplete".

Expect an announcement tomorrow regarding the season being cancelled

Am expecting it anytime this week, and not really surprised considering even a 1 week extension would make the 11th the first available weekend - and you couldn't expect teams to come out and play with no training for an extended period. And you know that it won't be a 1 week extension anyway.

As disappointing as it would be, I personally think its a preferred option over just having the top 2 teams play off for a premiership. I would think the NFNL will award Minor Premiers for the season like other leagues, the GVL decision is pretty stupid and I'd expect that it will and should be challenged.

Do they think they are doing people favours? They need to cancel it.
Great news. Clubs were being told the season was 99% done. But this is a life line that must have just come to hand.

Still can't see it happening and the motivation factor in just playing a game or 2 will be very very low in players and officials.

Great news. Clubs were being told the season was 99% done. But this is a life line that must have just come to hand.

Still can't see it happening and the motivation factor in just playing a game or 2 will be very very low in players and officials.
[/QUOTE
Do they think they are doing people favours? They need to cancel it.
It's like Gladys telling everyone everyday that they will get more freedoms when they hit their vaccine numbers...to be let down with when the day arrives.

I knew they were meeting this morning but this decision has me gob smacked. Even when they announce easing of restrictions, community sport will be one of the last things that will commence.

We won't hear anything from Draconian Dan until at least this Wednesday, and that will most definitely be an extension for at least 2 more weeks until the next announcement, so that takes us to 15th September.

Just end it already

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back