NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I hear lalor had 14 double ups today just to avoid the fine for a forfeit. Massive effort from those who did and a real shame to those that made it like that. Gotta hope the club can get some committed players in to build the team going forward.

From what I hear lalor had 14 double ups today just to avoid the fine for a forfeit. Massive effort from those who did and a real shame to those that made it like that. Gotta hope the club can get some committed players in to build the team going forward.
Not sure the ins and outs but surely the league would be better saying just play the seniors.

Good on the blokes for stepping Nt up if true!

Credit to them. Hopefully they can get through 1 more game and then rebuild under whitnall era.

Unfortunately with the byes and then the forfeits the %is a debacle. Some clubs have played Lalor twice and made enormous % gains and some have been stitched up due to %inequality caused by forfeits and the ensuing average % awarded to the winning side.

Didn't get to the game unfortunately but what I'm told is that it was player driven to get the 2 teams up. Any one that goes two games in a day just to help the club deserves massive credit. The guys that have the can't be f#$^s and create this need to have a good look at themselves. Really feel for the players involved and their poor trainers keeping them going.

Someone said they had 6 blokes at training on Tuesday night. Really tough task to rebuild a club when it's at that state, pretty much what you'd expect from a club that is about to disappear.

Why do you rate Laurimar so much higher than Mernda?

Mernda have barely put a foot wrong all season. I really think Mernda should be favourites at this stage
I think they have more quality and depth and the finals experience from last year will be the difference. Mernda are looking good though I do admit.

We’ve all heard the Whittnal rumours but gee he is walking to a mess if true.

Who’s coaching atm?
I heard at least 5 maybe 6 Bundoora reserve’s players will go to Lalor next year. Lance is locked in also.
Interesting in 2 ways. Lalor improve? Bundoora Reserves stocks?🤔

Having a quick look at the team list that looks about right.

It says it all 14 “Senior” players in the reserves and still beaten easily by Merndas ressies who aren’t even top 2.

Shocking times, surely the league would rather a reserves forfeit than headline defeats in their senior comp.

Let’s hope the league has some compassion and revokes any potential fines in the final round

League shouldn’t have compassion, the club has literally compromised the fixture all season. Scrap all their results in the seniors and reserves if that’s the case and make it equal for every team.

League shouldn’t have compassion, the club has literally compromised the fixture all season. Scrap all their results in the seniors and reserves if that’s the case and make it equal for every team.
It’s more compromised having 14 guys double up to play seniors. Imagine Mernda needed a big percentage to play finals?

The integrity of the seniors comp is paramount.

really sad for lalor how ever I am not sure lance will be the panacea to all their woes by the sounds of it the whole club from top to bottom needs a massive change of culture and this is really hard to achieve with only 6 guys committed to training and getting flogged week in week out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Herald Sun

Lalor has secured club legend Lance Whitnall as coach for 2024​

Northern club Lalor has secured club legend and ex-AFL great Lance Whitnall as coach for 2024 as the Bloods look to turn their fortunes around.

Lalor has secured a club legend to help drive the Northern league struggler’s revival.
Lance Whitnall will return to Sydney Crescent in 2024 as coach, in a massive boost to the club’s on and off-field ambitions.

It’s hoped the former Carlton captain and best-and-fairest winner and Lalor junior can attract new players and help make the club competitive again.

After retiring from the AFL, Whitnall played two seniors with the Bloods in 2008-09 when the club was still NFNL in Division 1.

He turned to coaching at Glenroy and then won an Essendon District Division 1 premiership with Craigieburn in 2019 before stepping away from coaching after the 2021 season.

Lalor will also have a whole new committee next year as it looks to start fresh.

Incoming Bloods president Wayne Hutson played junior football at Lalor with Whitnall and was rapt to have him back.

“We played juniors together and won a junior premiership together,” Hutson said.

“I sat down with him about six weeks ago and explained the club isn’t in the best position as it could be and we need a big name like himself to try and attract some players and people back to the club.

“Obviously it’s a big job when you’ve one game in three years in the lowest division but in the end he decided to take on the role and hopefully there’s exciting times to come.”

Whitnall takes the reins from Angelo Lamanna, who led the Bloods for two winless seasons.

The 2000 All-Australian will be charged with turning Lalor’s on-field fortunes around.

The Bloods are currently on a 42-game losing streak and suffered a demoralising 311-point defeat to Division 3 ladder-leader Mernda on Saturday.

However, there has been positive signs this season, coming close to wins over Reservoir and Fitzroy Stars.

If Whitnall and the new committee can bring in new players then hopes are high the club can begin to rebuild.

“We’ve recruited a few players and Lance said he’s going to bring a good group of players with him, which is a bit of a positive,” Hutson said.

“He’s obviously well known and respected, he coached at Glenroy and Craigieburn when he finished playing, he’s still got connections.

“It’s all positive so far, I’ve been getting messages of mates that have heard the news and people around the footy are all excited to see Lalor try and get off their knees.

We’ll have a new president, vice-president, deputy, basically every role will be new.

“We’re rebooting, that’s nothing against the old committee, but we’re looking to start fresh and start again.

“The people that have kept the club alive for the last four or five years, it’s been hard, but if we can get through this year we can reboot and start again.”

Lalor hosts Heidelberg West in the final game of the home-and-away season on Saturday.

From Herald Sun

Lalor has secured club legend Lance Whitnall as coach for 2024​

Northern club Lalor has secured club legend and ex-AFL great Lance Whitnall as coach for 2024 as the Bloods look to turn their fortunes around.

Lalor has secured a club legend to help drive the Northern league struggler’s revival.
Lance Whitnall will return to Sydney Crescent in 2024 as coach, in a massive boost to the club’s on and off-field ambitions.

It’s hoped the former Carlton captain and best-and-fairest winner and Lalor junior can attract new players and help make the club competitive again.

After retiring from the AFL, Whitnall played two seniors with the Bloods in 2008-09 when the club was still NFNL in Division 1.

He turned to coaching at Glenroy and then won an Essendon District Division 1 premiership with Craigieburn in 2019 before stepping away from coaching after the 2021 season.

Lalor will also have a whole new committee next year as it looks to start fresh.

Incoming Bloods president Wayne Hutson played junior football at Lalor with Whitnall and was rapt to have him back.

“We played juniors together and won a junior premiership together,” Hutson said.

“I sat down with him about six weeks ago and explained the club isn’t in the best position as it could be and we need a big name like himself to try and attract some players and people back to the club.

“Obviously it’s a big job when you’ve one game in three years in the lowest division but in the end he decided to take on the role and hopefully there’s exciting times to come.”

Whitnall takes the reins from Angelo Lamanna, who led the Bloods for two winless seasons.

The 2000 All-Australian will be charged with turning Lalor’s on-field fortunes around.

The Bloods are currently on a 42-game losing streak and suffered a demoralising 311-point defeat to Division 3 ladder-leader Mernda on Saturday.

However, there has been positive signs this season, coming close to wins over Reservoir and Fitzroy Stars.

If Whitnall and the new committee can bring in new players then hopes are high the club can begin to rebuild.

“We’ve recruited a few players and Lance said he’s going to bring a good group of players with him, which is a bit of a positive,” Hutson said.

“He’s obviously well known and respected, he coached at Glenroy and Craigieburn when he finished playing, he’s still got connections.

“It’s all positive so far, I’ve been getting messages of mates that have heard the news and people around the footy are all excited to see Lalor try and get off their knees.

We’ll have a new president, vice-president, deputy, basically every role will be new.

“We’re rebooting, that’s nothing against the old committee, but we’re looking to start fresh and start again.

“The people that have kept the club alive for the last four or five years, it’s been hard, but if we can get through this year we can reboot and start again.”

Lalor hosts Heidelberg West in the final game of the home-and-away season on Saturday.
Interesting all new positions filled without AGM? Good on them for being on front foot its going to be a big job.

Great that big Lance has put his hand up but issue will be 1) players remaining and 2) recruiting players. The last 3 weeks they have played at 40/46, 40/46 and 35/46 player points.
Yes players drop a point for 2024 however that is what makes it hard for them to climb back up the ladder and become competitive again.
It will need to be a 3-5 year process
Compare Lalor to Laurimar, strong junior program and their player points over same three games has been 30/46, 31/46 and 32/46 giving them much more room to recruit, be that they remain in Division 3 or win and get promoted to division 2 in 2024

Great that big Lance has put his hand up but issue will be 1) players remaining and 2) recruiting players. The last 3 weeks they have played at 40/46, 40/46 and 35/46 player points.
Yes players drop a point for 2024 however that is what makes it hard for them to climb back up the ladder and become competitive again.
It will need to be a 3-5 year process
Compare Lalor to Laurimar, strong junior program and their player points over same three games has been 30/46, 31/46 and 32/46 giving them much more room to recruit, be that they remain in Division 3 or win and get promoted to division 2 in 2024
I don’t think those current points will be counted when they are in the Ressies. And if those blokes are going to leave to play elsewhere, then good luck to them getting a ones game of footy elsewhere!

Heidelberg West will be heavily supporting the 2 blues this week. If Kilmore were to cause an upset it would be a great story to see them end a long standing finals drought. How long has it been since they played finals?

? Division 1 reserves players are 3 points each.

Development community player - 2
Premier comp (NFNL D1) - 1
My point was Lalor’s current players that are pushing their points up, more than likely will be playing twos next season and therefore neutralising any new points, not adding.

What’s the verdict on who finishes 4th after Saturday?

My guess is Heidelberg West miss out on playing finals in both seniors and reserves due to percentage.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back