NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Champ or Chump and Mappa I'm interested in your thoughts on the differing playing styles from the VAFA to the NFNL and how that will advantage or disadvantage both Ivanhoe and Parade this season.

The VAFA has always had a unique 'brand' of football in comparison to other suburban leagues.

Personally I feel it could snag you 1-2 wins on top of what is being forecast.

Champ or Chump and Mappa I'm interested in your thoughts on the differing playing styles from the VAFA to the NFNL and how that will advantage or disadvantage both Ivanhoe and Parade this season.

The VAFA has always had a unique 'brand' of football in comparison to other suburban leagues.

Unique VAFA brand? What?

maybe brand wasn't the best choice of words. VAFA has often been a more running game, quicker style of football compared to other leagues.

Brands/style may have changed over the years and become very similar hence why I'm asking the question to compare the two
Def more contested footy in NFL, grounds are generally in better condition and bigger in the VAFA than the NFL so a lot more conducive to running the football

Def more contested footy in NFL, grounds are generally in better condition and bigger in the VAFA than the NFL so a lot more conducive to running the football
Pretty generalised statement for a comp with 7 divisions.

D3 grounds are big except kinglake.

As for ground condition? Really? Plenty of good and poor grounds in both comps.

This was definitely an observation in a practice match early this year between Banyule and Fitzroy, where Banyule had slow tempo from the back half and relied on the contested ball and getting into their forward half to lock it in. Fitzroy were a bit of a counter punch style, with quicker movement from the back half to stretch the ground and more overlap options. The stark contrast in game styles was clear and it was interesting seeing them combat each other. Watching both leagues of football over the last few years shows a variation, so it will be interesting to see how these additions to this Division will be able to compete if using the game style they have typically run with, or if/how much they chose to adapt to the styles of the teams they play.

maybe brand wasn't the best choice of words. VAFA has often been a more running game, quicker style of football compared to other leagues.

Brands/style may have changed over the years and become very similar hence why I'm asking the question to compare the two

Having a pretty good understanding of both comps 'styles' I think some of the commentary makes sense, but also a bit generalised if you consider different grades. Some examples of this IMO:

• Heidelberg are as skilled and move the ball as well by foot as any side in A (Premier) grade VAFA.
  • Div 1- 4 in VAFA is much more like Div 3 NFNL than it is to the higher grades of the VAFA - slower more contested, less skill. Also play on less school grounds and more 'district' grounds.

I believe that Parade and Ivanhoe will play a similar style as those in Div 3, having been in the lower grades of the VAFA for many, many years.

Also, whilst Parade have a school connection, like Ivanhoe the culture is more akin to the 'district' teams than the school teams I would suggest. An example of this is that our club and Old Ivanhoe have a VERY different culture currently and those connected to the two clubs are aware of this. As such it tends to attract different players - on most occasions.

This is all very general, but I have said for many years that our club is probably more like a NFNL club than a top grade (A, B) in the VAFA.

Just my thoughts, Chump.

Having a pretty good understanding of both comps 'styles' I think some of the commentary makes sense, but also a bit generalised if you consider different grades. Some examples of this IMO:

• Heidelberg are as skilled and move the ball as well by foot as any side in A (Premier) grade VAFA.
  • Div 1- 4 in VAFA is much more like Div 3 NFNL than it is to the higher grades of the VAFA - slower more contested, less skill. Also play on less school grounds and more 'district' grounds.

I believe that Parade and Ivanhoe will play a similar style as those in Div 3, having been in the lower grades of the VAFA for many, many years.

Also, whilst Parade have a school connection, like Ivanhoe the culture is more akin to the 'district' teams than the school teams I would suggest. An example of this is that our club and Old Ivanhoe have a VERY different culture currently and those connected to the two clubs are aware of this. As such it tends to attract different players - on most occasions.

This is all very general, but I have said for many years that our club is probably more like a NFNL club than a top grade (A, B) in the VAFA.

Just my thoughts, Chump.

A great insight, certainly answers the question that I was asking and it will be quite intriguing to see the transition of both clubs this season.

I'm still confident in my earlier prediction that Ivanhoe and OP's will be in the mix this coming season.

A great insight, certainly answers the question that I was asking and it will be quite intriguing to see the transition of both clubs this season.

I'm still confident in my earlier prediction that Ivanhoe and OP's will be in the mix this coming season.

I think if either club make the top 5 in year 1 it will be a VERY, VERY good result. The Div 3 NFNL section has not been this competitive or had such an influx of quality players for many, many years.

Also, and I have said this alot - it took Banyule 3 years to get out of Div 3 (I think) and they were better placed (came from higher comp of VAFA, more money and some quality players joined) when they first started. The Turtles have been building for 4-5 years and are only now seen as a REAL chance this year.

I think we could be around the 5-9th mark ...........but who knows to be honest and still plenty of discussions happening at all clubs to get a few more players.

Chump

I think there had traditionally been a thought that the VAFA is quick, outside footy, and the NFNL is slower and "tougher", but not sure there is quite that distinction anymore. It's hard to say if Team A from Div X in the VAFA would beat Team A from Div X in the NFNL. There's too many variables.

If you look at A-Grade in the Ammos, yes it is quick, but there's some pretty hard-nosed blokes who don't mind getting their hands dirty, that's for sure. We hosted the B-Grade finals at the Garvey this year, and the ball did ping from one end to the other pretty quickly, but when it was wet and windy, they didn't mind mixing it up. Would A-Grade they beat a Div 1 side? Maybe the lower couple, but perhaps not Heidelberg or North. They certainly wouldn't be disgraced.

The one observation I've always stuck to, is that the better VAFA clubs seem to be very similar in height. Of course there's the odd anomaly, but largely they are taller, running types. NFNL clubs (again generalising) vary a bit more. North had Majak down to Harvey and Bundoora had Shepherd down to Marshall (for instance).

As for our "brand", well we've got 5 new recruits who could all play Seniors, with an entirely new coaching staff, and 9 new opposition clubs. I reckon it will be quite different to whatever brand we had.

White collar footy! Less twin cab utes and more European cars in the carpark, less high viz and more collared shirts hanging in the rooms.

I think there had traditionally been a thought that the VAFA is quick, outside footy, and the NFNL is slower and "tougher", but not sure there is quite that distinction anymore. It's hard to say if Team A from Div X in the VAFA would beat Team A from Div X in the NFNL. There's too many variables.

If you look at A-Grade in the Ammos, yes it is quick, but there's some pretty hard-nosed blokes who don't mind getting their hands dirty, that's for sure. We hosted the B-Grade finals at the Garvey this year, and the ball did ping from one end to the other pretty quickly, but when it was wet and windy, they didn't mind mixing it up. Would A-Grade they beat a Div 1 side? Maybe the lower couple, but perhaps not Heidelberg or North. They certainly wouldn't be disgraced.

The one observation I've always stuck to, is that the better VAFA clubs seem to be very similar in height. Of course there's the odd anomaly, but largely they are taller, running types. NFNL clubs (again generalising) vary a bit more. North had Majak down to Harvey and Bundoora had Shepherd down to Marshall (for instance).

As for our "brand", well we've got 5 new recruits who could all play Seniors, with an entirely new coaching staff, and 9 new opposition clubs. I reckon it will be quite different to whatever brand we had.
It's certainly been the perception for many years between the two comps.

A side note to this is that I was on the pop last week with several of the old blokes and a guy from our club was telling a group of us that an assistant coach from one of the clubs we play against in Div 3 this year mentioned they feel that being physical with us is a way to beat us .....as we are a soft ammo team! Looking forward to seeing how that all unfolds :) :)

Chump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my thoughts, Chump.
I agree with that those different clubs are better position, Banyule are genuine Div 2 and not half bad Div 1 playing getting around else where, prior to coming do Ivanhoe and parade the same I’m not so sure, but I do believe Ivanhoe and parade will probably to being top Div 3 clubs bottom half division 2 sides in the next 5 years. A lot of local ammo clubs struggling post Covid

It's certainly been the perception for many years between the two comps.

A side note to this is that I was on the pop last week with several of the old blokes and a guy from our club was telling a group of us that an assistant coach from one of the clubs we play against in Div 3 this year mentioned they feel that being physical with us is a way to beat us .....as we are a soft ammo team! Looking forward to seeing how that all unfolds :) :)

Chump
I reckon both our teams might hear that little chestnut more that a few times in 2024 Chumpy :D

they should be shouldn't they?

Not saying they shouldnt be at all.

Just clarifying as my understanding through personal relationships with staff at parade and a couple of recruits is that they are all in fact 1 pointers.

Considering the entire league has been dominated by ex paradians over previous years, i think they are in a good position moving forward.

No, only a a VAFA rule.
Is that the same for the Turtles?

That said, with the new AFL Vic Rules, it would get interesting if a junior played football at an affiliated junior club, but then wanted to play for a school affiliated senior club? Way above my pay grade!

Chump.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back