Opinion Nic Naitanui's year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having 22 goals compared to Jacobs and Maric with 6 and 7 respectively will certainly count in his favour.
I imagine he'll probably make the AA squad but probably not the 22.

With regard to the quality of his season; given his progress this year I can't see him not being the best ruck in the comp within a couple of years.
He has consistently improved every aspect of his game since we drafted him. He's now a better mark, a better kick, better tap ruckman, is stronger, more physical, more confident and kicks more goals. I have no reason to suspect such improvement won't continue.
I think the area of his game that holds him back the most is fitness and a consequential inability to chase and get to contests. I know we shouldn't expect a guy at 201cm to have elite endurance but I think it's something that should be focussed on so he can get more possessions and tackles, and be more prepared to shoulder more ruck work once Cox retires.

There is a chance the selectors might go for the Cox/NicNat duo because as a combination they have been devastating at times

^ from that article...

improving.jpg

An interesting stat I just looked up is his marking. Only averages 3 per game which is way down our list. But averages a bit over 2 contested marks which is second on our list only after Kennedy. And quite a fair way above 3rd. I guess this along with his contested possessions highlights that he doesn't really get into space very often. Perhaps one part of his game he can improve.

An interesting stat I just looked up is his marking. Only averages 3 per game which is way down our list. But averages a bit over 2 contested marks which is second on our list only after Kennedy. And quite a fair way above 3rd. I guess this along with his contested possessions highlights that he doesn't really get into space very often. Perhaps one part of his game he can improve.

He's 6th in the league for contested marking and number 1 for genuine ruckmen

Anything on his intercept marking between rounds 8 and 11?

did you read the article cause IIRC there is something in there about intercept marks within a timeframe. Someone at AFL.com trolling Wonna?

EDIT: "On Saturday night he had a team high 7 intercept possessions"
If he keeps that up rounds through 22 - 23 it will be time to go back to those threads and give Wonna the cold hard facts.

did you read the article cause IIRC there is something in there about intercept marks within a timeframe. Someone at AFL.com trolling Wonna?

EDIT: "On Saturday night he had a team high 7 intercept possessions"

If he keeps that up rounds through 22 - 23 it will be time to go back to those threads and give Wonna the cold hard facts.
Wait seriously?

Hahahaha, if only Wonaeamirri33 wasnt on a red.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NN is having an outstanding season and I could definitely see him going AA. I think the selectors will shy away from selecting both Cox and NN and Cox has been sensational and is a sure fire bet for AA, so this year, I think he will miss out. Do I think he deserves to miss out? Definitely not.

Would you trade NN for Jacobs or Maric? Hahahah... no. A big part of a ruckmens game is to go forward and use their size to impact a contest and kick goals. Maric and Jacobs have just 6 and 7 goals for the season. NN has kicked 22 goals, that's over three times more than either Jacobs or Maric.

It's a shame but I think he will miss out despite IMO deserving selection. But personal accolades arent important, we all know if not this year, then next year he will go AA. This season has been his almost coming out party. Next season will be the blow your hair back season I think. When he puts it all together and I say when, not if, he is going to be nigh on impossible to stop.

He's slowly putting it altogether and sooner rather than later, 20 possession games, goals galore, massive marks, tackles, HO's, just everything is going to become a weekly occurance. The sky is the limit. I absolutely cant begin to fathom why Melbourne Football Club would ever entertain the thought of taking anybody before NN. Thank the footy gods that they were amazingly stupid.

He'll win everything.

Waters is almost a lock i reckon, if i was selecting the AA team it would look something like this -

FB: Gibson Richards Glass
HB: Waters McPharlin Birchall
C: Cotchin Watson Ablett
HF: Dangerfield Franklin Beams
FF: Cox Pavlich Milne
R: Naitanui Thompson Kennedy

I: Jack, Pendlebury, J.Selwood , Swan

Could probably swap a few mids around, there is a lot to pick from.

NN is having an outstanding season and I could definitely see him going AA. I think the selectors will shy away from selecting both Cox and NN and Cox has been sensational and is a sure fire bet for AA, so this year, I think he will miss out. Do I think he deserves to miss out? Definitely not.

He's slowly putting it altogether and sooner rather than later, 20 possession games, goals galore, massive marks, tackles, HO's, just everything is going to become a weekly occurance. The sky is the limit. I absolutely cant begin to fathom why Melbourne Football Club would ever entertain the thought of taking anybody before NN. Thank the footy gods that they were amazingly stupid.

He'll win everything.

I agree completely with the bolded part. I'd also add that had NN avoided his few rather conspicuous quiet games then the selection committee may have had no choice but to put him in the team.

I am extremely excited to watch this incredible player dominate in the blue and gold for the next ten years.

I have just checked out the AA squad and no Naitanui, unbelievable that the most influencial big man the game has seen for at least 20 years isn't even in the squad. I sit down every week and watch the WCE not because I like them but because of the enjoyment of watching this guy play.
I know Cox is a terrifc player and has been for a decade but for some reason the Eastern state "experts" still believe he is the fist ruck for WCE. I certainly believe that baton has been passed.

I have just checked out the AA squad and no Naitanui, unbelievable that the most influencial big man the game has seen for at least 20 years isn't even in the squad. I sit down every week and watch the WCE not because I like them but because of the enjoyment of watching this guy play.
I know Cox is a terrifc player and has been for a decade but for some reason the Eastern state "experts" still believe he is the fist ruck for WCE. I certainly believe that baton has been passed.

No you didn't - it was just some journo's take on who might be a chance

No you didn't - it was just some journo's take on who might be a chance
So sorry you are correct, I received the AFL newsletter and the heading was 'The players in All Australian contention from your club" and incorrectly assumed it was the squad.

For the record i believe both Cox and Naitanui should be All Australians in 2012.

The moderator can delete my previous post if it confuses people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Nic Naitanui's year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back