NickNat has zero confidence in his kicking...

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home from the game. We all know he is handball happy and he is usually quite skilled with it. However there are times when the handpass hurts your team and today we saw it.

3rd quarter was running towards goal with no-one in front of him. 50m out, had the wind behind him, but rather than shoot at goal he handpassed to a contest... Then again in the 3rd quarter running off the half-back line he refused to kick the ball and sold a teammate into trouble with a nothing handpass rather than playing the percentages and booting the ball. 1st quarter he tried handpassing to himself instead of trusting his ability to kick the ball down the wing.

Its starting to get embarrassing. I honestly dont care if he has an up and under kick which is hit and miss. You cant go handpassing the ball at every opportunity when clearly a kick to a target or at goal is the much better team option.

I seriously hope the Eagles staff work on his kicking over the pre-season so he has more confidence when he has possession of the ball.

Agree his hand balling to a player 1 meter a way is just stupid, had the opportunity in the 3rd to have a shot but shot out a stupid hand ball.
Also at times seems to walk around dreaming to him self!! his ruck taps are improving though:thumbsu:

Leave the kid alone.

Hes only 18 and plenty of room for improvment and FWI im happy with how hes progressing.

And another FWIW - His 3 goal last quarter against the Hawks has done him a bit more damage then good IMO as its made a fair few of our spporters expect that each week whereas in reality as i said early hes only young and theres noway we can expect that every week.

Hes coming along nicely.

He'll get confidence in his kick soon enough

I think for a lot of players, their natural instinct is to handball or kick. Naita is one who favours handball, Mitch Brown is another.

Rest of his game (except for maybe his workrate but that will come with a full pre-season) is coming along very nicely. Did exceptionally in the ruck today against two good ruckman. His handball is definately a weapon and he is very clean with his hands

I personally can't wait to see this kid develop over the next couple of seasons..His ruck work was sensational in part today....Agree sometimes he makes the wrong decision to hand ball instead of kick but am sure that will all come with experience...Let's not forget this is only is 7th or 8th game!

God some of you guys are so precious it's actually embarrassing. If you actually read and understood the OP, you would see that he's not bagging him out, merely pointing out the obvious that he doesn't like to kick a lot, possibly due to not being confident in his kicking.

Not hard to understand :rolleyes:

God some of you guys are so precious it's actually embarrassing. If you actually read and understood the OP, you would see that he's not bagging him out, merely pointing out the obvious that he doesn't like to kick a lot, possibly due to not being confident in his kicking.

Yeh I agree.

Although I have no problem with him hand balling rather than kicking the ball in his first season. Whatever helps him fell comfortable at this level should be the first priority, as others have said, with time he'll no doubt improve as an all round player.

Off topic - im happy with his season thus far. Has shown enough that he will be a good tap ruckman for the Eagles in years to come so long as he avoids leg injurys (knees in particular). The match winning last quarter against Hawthorn at Subi being the highlight.

Maybe im asking too much, but for these last 2 games there are a couple of things id like to see:

1) Present more. Demand the football in the forward line and run into space to take marks. Im convinced that on a lead he would be almost impossible for any defender to spoil against.

2) Kick more. Like i said i dont care if his kicking efficiency isnt as good as his handball efficiency. The more comfortable and confident he becomes in his kicking, the more dangerous he will be to opposition sides. Leave him 1 out in the forward line and give him room to lead and mark. Would be a travesty if he went half a year without ever taking a set shot at goal. Young kids in their 1st season need to be exposed to as many aspects of football as possible.

Right now he appears a bit shy. Fair enough too since its his first year and is still learning the ropes. I hope either next year or the year after he realises how he could shit all over the rest of the league if he believes he is a good player. I also hope he spends all of the off-season and pre-season with Cox learning the tricks of the trade. Imagine Naitanuis athletic ability with Cox's brain. Unstoppable.

From the limited interview he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and i have no doubt that he will work hard and improve in the coming weeks, months and years. Maybe this sounds strange, but i hope he develops a little bit more selfishness in his game next season. Then hopefully he becomes a bit arrogant too.

His shepherding of players on the ground is elite ;)
His 1%ers are elite. The shepherd for Lecca's first goal. That was all NikNat. Used his body to:
A) Keep the one North player away from spoling by using his body well
B) Getting goalside of him after that and blocking any chance of him getting the ball &
C) Allowing Lecca to gather and kick with ease rather than be under pressure (which is what would've happened had anyone else been in that contest)

Nothing to do with sensitivity. Just can't understand how someone can be so completely clueless as to watch NickNat today and their first reaction is to start a thread about his non-kicking being "embarassing".

My inquisition remark followed my comment that clearly, in case you weren't aware (and awareness doesnt seem your strong suit), the coaches are already working on his game.

A. You actually had a crack ateveryone who pointed out that his positives FAR outweigh any negatives AND he is 19 and developing nicely.

B. You start this thread with your OP and you accuse me of silliness and stupidity :rolleyes:

In case it wasnt made clear, I suspect you are clueless i.e. having not a single clue. My post reflected my being flabbergasted by your ability to focus on a minor issue in context and avoid and actively criticise anyone who pointed that out.

A simple concession that you went of half-cocked and started a silly thread is all that was required. :)

Thank you...you said everything i wanted to say about this thread! Well done.

Awww... big hug for bz, him and his buddy have been misunderstood.
:rolleyes:

Perhaps if he had used context (as you are in this revised version) and used words like possibly instead of "its becoming embarassing" and then various follow up comments then people would have been more "understanding"

On the back of a very encouraging game by NN, he chose to post ONLY on a negative. What did you expect?

Although you are one of the EFH crew aren't you? - sensitive lot over there under Mrs Quinns firm hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might not have confidence in his kicking at the moment but at this stage in his career.

who cares

Some of his other attributes are already elite for a ruckman at AFL level.

He might not have confidence in his kicking at the moment but at this stage in his career.

who cares

Some of his other attributes are already elite for a ruckman at AFL level.
Summed up this thread perfectly

when playing for swans this year he was kicking a lot, why, because he was comfortable and confident at that level, that's all it is, feeling at home.

he can kick, you will no doubt see it when he is as at home as he is for swans.

coming along brilliantly

I was surprised that he had only seven disposals yesterday when I looked at the stats, his impact on the game was much, much greater than that. He did have 20 hitouts (game high), four tackles and two clearances though. Was a big reason behind the big third quarter, dominant in the ruck and centre.

It was the right knee he did bung so it wouldnt surprise me if he went near on 6 months without kicking a footy. I think atm he just wants to handball at the time because its what hes told to do. In open play yes but when you take a mark you gotta kick it son. That is what the coaches will be telling him

IMO he's been told to look for the handpass first by the coaching staff, I think he takes it too literally though and thinks 'I've got the ball, I have to handpass', rather than weighing up his options.
I also think he still panics a little when he gets the ball at afl level, and the handpass is a quick way to relieve that pressure (quite common). As he becomes more comfortable at this level, and comfortable with the ball in his hands, he'll kick more.

[quote=GoOsH;15393547]IMO he's been told to look for the handpass first by the coaching staff, I think he takes it too literally though and thinks 'I've got the ball, I have to handpass', rather than weighing up his options.
I also think he still panics a little when he gets the ball at afl level, and the handpass is a quick way to relieve that pressure (quite common). As he becomes more comfortable at this level, and comfortable with the ball in his hands, he'll kick more.[/quote]

sums it all up I think.

Perhaps you should change your user name to "everysilverlininghasacloud"?

It may come as a shock to you that a 19 year old 202cm ruckman is not the finished article. It may also come as a shock to know that the Eagles do a game DVD of every single act by every single player during a game and analyse that with the players.

A 19 year old who makes the odd decision error and who looks to handball instead of kick (because he is pretty much elite at one and modest at the other) is hardly the stuff requiring an Inquisition.

Yes, he does tend to look to handball first and he does occasionally make decision errors as a result. I am also absolutely certain he is far from the finsihed product.

Did you also notice that his ruckwork was responsible for our highest scoring quarter of the year?

Or we you too busy chatting to fellow crowd members about his inability to play full back with the prowess of Darren Glass?
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

When his handballs are so creative who cares? He has rarely been in a good position to kick anyway and been under the pump most of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

NickNat has zero confidence in his kicking...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back