Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
NicNat, Yarren and Garlett should all be playing for the Black Ducks on ABC in about 5 mins for anyone wanting a look

niknait is not a defender. he was well beaten by callum wilson who kicked 7, not all on nat though. he gave him far too much leeway and was beaten on the lead almost every time

much,much better playing on ball

yarran is just so classy, moves so well and never looks flustered. still a question mark on whether he can become a full-time mid so may slide outside the top 10

niknait is not a defender. he was well beaten by callum wilson who kicked 7, not all on nat though. he gave him far too much leeway and was beaten on the lead almost every time

much,much better playing on ball

yarran is just so classy, moves so well and never looks flustered. still a question mark on whether he can become a full-time mid so may slide outside the top 10

He kicked maybe 1 on NickNat who went to him after he had beaten all other Swans alternatives.

I agree re Yarran. Was a class above what was out there at 18 years old. One of those guys who always looks like he is in third gear because he sees the game unfold quicker than all around him.

I think he will be a forward who will develop as a mid over a 3 or 4 year period (ala Ablett) and that might put some off him. It shouldnt.

NickNat remains intriguing, he leaps tall buildings and he has extraordinary althleticism but doubt remains on his football nous.

I thought Naita did a decent job in defence. Made some good spoils, tackled well and provided some good rebound out of defence. Wilson only kicked one on him (he kicked 6 in the first half) - granted the quality and frequency of delivery wasn't as good as it was in the 1st half. His ruckwork was fantastic in getting in moving forward and to the Swans midfielders advantage - very dominant in that regard.

Yarran played a typical Yarran game, kicked 3 goals, showing his typical flashes of brilliance, but wasn't involved in the game as much as you'd like him to be. Would love to see him get more of a go in the middle for the Swans.

J.Gartlett had a decent game playing mainly wing and also as a small forward. Kicked 2 goals and loved his 1%ers

Wolfenden was good through the middle, but could've been much better. His attack on the footy/physicality/tackling was good as usual for such a slight guy. Wasn't accurate enough in front of goals though with 2 goals 5.

I thought Naita did a decent job in defence. Made some good spoils, tackled well and provided some good rebound out of defence. Wilson only kicked one on him (he kicked 6 in the first half) - granted the quality and frequency of delivery wasn't as good as it was in the 1st half. His ruckwork was fantastic in getting in moving forward and to the Swans midfielders advantage - very dominant in that regard.

Yarran played a typical Yarran game, kicked 3 goals, showing his typical flashes of brilliance, but wasn't involved in the game as much as you'd like him to be. Would love to see him get more of a go in the middle for the Swans.

J.Gartlett had a decent game playing mainly wing and also as a small forward. Kicked 2 goals and loved his 1%ers

Wolfenden was good through the middle, but could've been much better. His attack on the footy/physicality/tackling was good as usual for such a slight guy. Wasn't accurate enough in front of goals though with 2 goals 5.

That's the second pretty good game I've seen him play in defence. I like him, at this stage of his development as a footballer, with the ball in front of him.

Wolfenden is just as likely to come out and kick 5 straight next week (I hope), get's enough of it and sometime he hurts the opposition, other times he doesn't.

Wolfenden is just as likely to come out and kick 5 straight next week (I hope), get's enough of it and sometime he hurts the opposition, other times he doesn't.

Wofly is a guy who a lot of phantom drafts will forget about but come draft day he'll get taken pretty early on.

In my opinion (I'm no draft expert) he'll go 2nd or 3rd round. Could be a bargin.

garlett has to work on his kicking miss one he could off get just in front of goal and done a couple bad kicks liked his goal in the first quarter

I only saw the second half when I got home from footy but NicNat looked bloody ordinary today.

Anyone else sick of commentators blowing their load over him every time he does something any other player would have done?

I think Natanui's problem is that he is one dimensional; A very very good ruckman BUT he isn't really suited anywhere else.

His handwork is great - his taps and hitouts are just superb, and his followup tackling and chasing around the stoppages is like a panther and often results in his teammates getting the ball, even if he doesn't get himself. These points make him as close to a "definite" ruckman at AFL IMO and probably redefine ruck types.

When he played up forward, his kicking and positioning is pretty woeful and I wasn't that impressed with his defensive work, although I guess it was solid.

If I was him I would want to go to Melbourne or Port - Good chance he could take the mantle of no.1 ruck job pretty early on which would suit him down to a tee. If he goes to West Coast or Freo then he would likely be a backup ruck to Cox or Sandilands and would need to start to come good in another position and I am not sure he is suited to that. That in turn might affect his confidence in his abilities and possibly result in wasted talent.

I can seriously see the following scenario:
(1) Gets drafted by Freo
(2) Starts the season off the bench as replacement for Sandilands and gets 1/4 game time as a ruck.
(3) Freo tries to turn him into something else to better utilize him - likely as a wingman but will probably be laughly bad at that.
(4) Gets dropped back to the WAFL and WAFL club told to play him in another position other than ruck.
(5) Struggles at that, falls further down in confidence. Pressure mounts as Freo fans scream out why didn't we draft Zeibell or Hartlett?
(6) Gets traded, but by then the damage is already done.

Anyway - there is my gloomy outlook for today.

Alternative outlook:

He gets drafted by Freo (presuming we trade Warnock)

1) They play him as 2nd ruck with stints in defence
2) He does well at both and is given time to physically mature into the role
3) By the time he's ready to lead the ruck Sandilands is 30 odd and playing more cameo roles as forward/ruck while Nat is an accomplished defender and ruckman.
4) Smooth transition into number 1 ruck role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternative outlook:

He gets drafted by Freo (presuming we trade Warnock)

1) They play him as 2nd ruck with stints in defence
2) He does well at both and is given time to physically mature into the role
3) By the time he's ready to lead the ruck Sandilands is 30 odd and playing more cameo roles as forward/ruck while Nat is an accomplished defender and ruckman.
4) Smooth transition into number 1 ruck role

Yeah its an alternative outlook but I don't feel that it is a realistic one.

Wofly is a guy who a lot of phantom drafts will forget about but come draft day he'll get taken pretty early on.

In my opinion (I'm no draft expert) he'll go 2nd or 3rd round. Could be a bargin.

I wasn't aware he was nominating but he is a good little player. I was looking forward to seeing him develop into a Swannies stalwart

That's the second pretty good game I've seen him play in defence. I like him, at this stage of his development as a footballer, with the ball in front of him.

It was interesting reading a post by Kev Jnr (astute follower of WA footy) on EBW (Wisbey's board) about a month ago - http://www.voy.com/51976/15464.html - he mentioned that he thought Naita would make a top CHB at AFL level. I never really gave it much credit then, but after watching his game yesterday I can definitely see what he's getting at.

Remove this Banner Ad

NicNat, Yarren and Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back