AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hesitant to go too in depth with my reasoning so as to not seem creepy, but if you were to make guesses based on what is put out there in the public sphere by the players themselves, it'd likely be Niamh Kelly to North and her sister to Adelaide.

By the same token, you'd have to say Kearney is 100% going to Essendon, and Ashmore 100% leaving North (wouldn't necessarily assume to Essendon if not for the article published during the week).

What the hell is this? I don't get the joke.

What the hell is this? I don't get the joke.
It's not a joke. It's an observation. "She grew up supporting Essendon" has been used as a smoking gun for other players, and it's not a connection Kearney has attempted to downplay. Pair that with the fact she turns 33 in September and is no longer among our best 2 players, all of the available limited information (there are a few more things regarding activity on Twitter and Instagram, not worth getting into right now) points in one direction.

To be clear, there has not been a whisper of a report in the media that Kearney is leaving. But my point was about what is out there. And if total clarity is really desired, she and the club might consider reassuring supporters a la Ellie Blackburn and the Western Bulldogs. Until then, everything I've said is fair.

I would be surprised if Kearney left. I could only see it happening if we were adopting a Hawthorn approach to trading and started getting rid of our stars for maximum trade value just before they retire.

I thought Kearney was very much in our top two players. The move down back was crucial to our game plan and really sparked a new lease of life in her footy. To the point she was named AA Captain.

I think Emma has been a major factor in our fantastic group harmony, and doesn’t she have a pretty good job at the club? It just doesn’t add up to me.

I would be surprised if Kearney left. I could only see it happening if we were adopting a Hawthorn approach to trading and started getting rid of our stars for maximum trade value just before they retire.

I thought Kearney was very much in our top two players. The move down back was crucial to our game plan and really sparked a new lease of life in her footy. To the point she was named AA Captain.

I think Emma has been a major factor in our fantastic group harmony, and doesn’t she have a pretty good job at the club? It just doesn’t add up to me.
I would also be surprised, but only because of the not-insignificant point about the lack of media speculation.

They wouldn't have moved her down back if the belief was she's still a long-term top 2 player for us. The reality is Garner and Riddell, in their prime (and will have soon won the last 3 club B&Fs between them), now have right of way for marquee contracts for the foreseeable future. Hence our offer to Kearney isn't going to be competitive with a richer and much more desperate Essendon.

So if she does stay, she will be doing so at her own substantial detriment, in terms of money (despite indeed having a pretty good job with the Huddle).

I would also be surprised, but only because of the not-insignificant point about the lack of media speculation.

They wouldn't have moved her down back if the belief was she's still a long-term top 2 player for us. The reality is Garner and Riddell, in their prime (and will have soon won the last 3 club B&Fs between them), now have right of way for marquee contracts for the foreseeable future. Hence our offer to Kearney isn't going to be competitive with a richer and much more desperate Essendon.

So if she does stay, she will be doing so at her own substantial detriment, in terms of money (despite indeed having a pretty good job with the Huddle).
She has a pretty good job that she is very good at and loves doing. She had a wonderful season but is nonetheless getting towards the end of her playing career, so being in a good place with her day job, plus media and other activities, is a big deal. I’d be gobsmacked if another club offered her enough as a package of onfield and off field inducements to get her to move. I‘m also mystified why we are talking about it.

I‘m also mystified why we are talking about it.
Would there be anything to talk about if she had already made her intentions publicly known? No.

Would everybody on this board be talking about an out-of-contract captain if it was a male player? Yes.

So if you don't like it... stiff shit?

You are the only person who has brought it up on some very tenous reasons for her leaving the club.
Wow you can read, congratulations.

Would there be anything to talk about if she had already made her intentions publicly known? No.

Would everybody on this board be talking about an out-of-contract captain if it was a male player? Yes.

"everyone" being the types who like pure speculation based on instagram photos and vibes.

Nice deflection though, it's her fault you're spreading bullshit.

I think you know as well as anyone that this is not a valid comparison, especially in an expansion season. Contracts are not enforceable, as I understand it. Expansion clubs can recruit any player willing to leave their current club.

Regardless, today's release has shown this Kearney speculation to be off the mark. I don't begrudge the query that you raised based on what could perhaps be described as flimsy evidence, but it just goes to show, it's best not to get too attached to your own thoughts. Sometimes you have to let them go rather than identify with them and defend them to the death.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"everyone" being the types who like pure speculation based on instagram photos and vibes.

Nice deflection though, it's her fault you're spreading bullshit.
Clearly it wasn't bullshit, given the latest news confirms there was interest from other clubs which nobody on here, other than me, was apparently aware of.

Sometimes you have to let them go rather than identify with them and defend them to the death.
I said "I would be surprised if she left", even though if one was to apply the same logic in other cases to her, she'd be "100% leaving".

In other words, the point I was making was far too nuanced and sophisticated for many of you to comprehend.

How do you feel now ya dickhead?
I feel glad that Kearney has accepted a less lucrative offer to stay at the club, which is something I'm sure I appreciate more than dickheads who feel entitled to a player's loyalty.

Clearly it wasn't bullshit, given the latest news confirms there was interest from other clubs which nobody on here, other than me, was apparently aware of.

I said "I would be surprised if she left", even though if one was to apply the same logic in other cases to her, she'd be "100% leaving".

In other words, the point I was making was far too nuanced and sophisticated for many of you to comprehend.

So you were categorically wrong but you are still the smartest person in the room. Got it.

If Ashmore goes that would put the Teen Wolf scorecard at 1-1.
Will be interesting to see who they bring in, assuming Ashmore does actually leave. Definitely need some more run and carry types.
Maybe Aileen uses her Mayo connections to get Niamh Kelly across.

That would be Quivorir and myself. But the post final pub chatter was not about Ashmore.
Thanks - have to wait and see. Turnover is part of the game in W, we’ve done pretty well so far to get and keep who we want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back