AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The respective futures of Kaitlyn Ashmore and Daisy Bateman are also unclear after the pair were made to wait on new deals from the Roos.

Industry sources are strongly linking North winger Ashmore to Essendon. St Kilda veteran Cat Phillips shapes as a potential replacement for Ashmore should she depart to the Bombers.
"Made to wait" is a peculiar way of putting it.

I'd have thought the answer from NMFC to the player managers would be a swift "hell no". But like a few others, it'd be surprising if Ashmore left for more money now given that I'm sure Collingwood and Richmond tried to entice her 2-3 years ago.

If the temptation for Daisy is getting to play further up the ground, then it may well be Kashy's departure that offers a solution. Daisy is hardly a like for like replacement, but I did think her best moments over the last few games was when she got into space out on the wing.

Also, if Kashy goes to Essendon, she's really going to test the belief that she makes any jumper look good.

Last edited:

Prespakis and Gee both leaving Carlton for Essendon. Something NQR at Princes Park, but bloody good start for the new team.

Carlton got to float around and collect early picks without any AFL "recalibration" of their draft hand like they did with us.

So in short, **** 'em.

Carlton got to float around and collect early picks without any AFL "recalibration" of their draft hand like they did with us.

So in short, **** 'em.
For sure. Have heard whispers that there could be more trying to get out.

Interesting article before the grand final about Melbourne deciding to get ahead of expansion by offloading a few senior players and getting in good draft picks, to try to take the next step after a few years of making finals by going no further. If the draft pick allocation process was more (at all) transparent it would be worth considering - but even then not in a year when new clubs will get a good run.

North Melbourne travel to Bill Lawry Oval, Westgarth on Saturday morning (10am) to play Darebin.

Game live on VFLW.TV (no commentary).

Teams

NORTH MELBOURNE
B49. D. Taylor25. L. Loughnane
HB1. M. Eastman10. C. Fitzgerald3. H. Ibrahim
C2. J. Mourney12. R. Hicks24. E. Macdonald
HF15. S. Skinner34. A. Hamilton7. B. Slaney
F26. T. Craven44. B. Gibson
R22. E. McGrath42. E. Maurer23. A. Scott
INT18. A. Melnikas29. T. Moss21. E. Paterno
16. G. Nicholas33. T. Bradley
EMG11. R. Burton30. J. Hillas

DAREBIN
B32. S. Ruedin44. V. Blackwood
BH5. K. McNiece10. G. Lawson-Taven11. A. Gunn
C26. M. Meyer8. Celebre60. M. Shone
HF36. A. Caddy50. S. Cowley Du Parquet39. E. Mackay
F19. R. Hibbert9. A. Mifsud
R24. S. Lynch16. E. Buckley29. S. Normington-Dickens
INT28. P. Kearney18. M. Plunkett56. M. Huta
59. T. Snelleksz35. K. McAloon
EMG52. C. Weston-Sirett43. T. Mills7. K. Hazlett
14. S. Padavano20. J. McArdle46. K. Camilleri
33. M.Haas
Just happened to be walking past the oval on my Saturday morning constitutional and stopped in for a bit. Only stayed for the first 10 minutes as I was clearly putting the mozz on them. Scrappy start. Good to see they got their act together and got up comfortably.

Interesting article before the grand final about Melbourne deciding to get ahead of expansion by offloading a few senior players and getting in good draft picks, to try to take the next step after a few years of making finals by going no further. If the draft pick allocation process was more (at all) transparent it would be worth considering - but even then not in a year when new clubs will get a good run.
If they move the season start to August it's going to be up against exams. Sucks for potential draftees and will be a fair challenge for list managers. What happens - do they not have a draft this year and just top up from state leagues or have list spots taken up with players you can't use? This whole shift seems poorly thought through to me.

If they move the season start to August it's going to be up against exams. Sucks for potential draftees and will be a fair challenge for list managers. What happens - do they not have a draft this year and just top up from state leagues or have list spots taken up with players you can't use? This whole shift seems poorly thought through to me.

They will inevitably have to clash with Year 12 exams and the draft at some stage but it's probably worst timing of all to do it in an expansion year when 4 clubs will absolutely depend upon their first year players to be available during exams just so they can field a team. It would make sense to delay the schedule change for another year.

They will inevitably have to clash with Year 12 exams and the draft at some stage but it's probably worst timing of all to do it in an expansion year when 4 clubs will absolutely depend upon their first year players to be available during exams just so they can field a team. It would make sense to delay the schedule change for another year.
You’d think it would make sense to phase it in over a year or two. Maybe starting the new season in December and then start the next season a fortnight earlier etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the reigning premier has targets of its own and is among a host of teams understood to be circling West Coast speedster Niamh Kelly.

Victorian sides North Melbourne, St Kilda and Geelong have also registered their interest in Kelly, an Irish recruit from County Mayo who has established herself as one of the competition's most exciting wingers after 22 games for the Eagles.

They should just raise the draft age.

I'm hesitant to go too in depth with my reasoning so as to not seem creepy, but if you were to make guesses based on what is put out there in the public sphere by the players themselves, it'd likely be Niamh Kelly to North and her sister to Adelaide.

By the same token, you'd have to say Kearney is 100% going to Essendon, and Ashmore 100% leaving North (wouldn't necessarily assume to Essendon if not for the article published during the week).

I’d back her in getting Niamh Kelly here

If she came would she take up a main list spot or our 2nd international rookie spot
Forgot to reply to this. Qualification for a rookie spot isn't about being from another country, it's about whether you've played football within the past 3 years.

Definitely detecting a theme among our off-season targets:
It is understood clubs have identified her speed and running ability as key attributes that would allow her to succeed in Australia.
Also, she is just 19.

But the Irish intrigue doesn't stop there.
The 2021 player of the year and county Meath star Vikki Wall has been open in her intention to make the move later this year and has a number of offers to consider.
Rival clubs believe North Melbourne is in the box seat amid interest from Fremantle
A month ago it was reported she had narrowed her choice down to two clubs and, at the time, I said this on the Richmond board:
5'9 with her build is very rare in AFLW, basically Brianna Davey characteristics but with speed, and she's only 23. I believe every club that misses out will end up kicking themselves (she reportedly nominated for the draft last year, having done so in 2019 too but was one of a few from Ireland to withdraw), but particularly those yet to dip a toe in the Gaelic talent pool (Richmond and Gold Coast).
I didn't think any of the top 6 teams would have a chance. So to hear now we're supposedly in the box seat is amazing, though I'd still be surprised if Fremantle don't pip us at the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back