Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hah Channel 9 could only cope with showing 8 minutes of Melbourne's fireworks good job

Had to make sure they got the annual screening of Can’t Stop the Music away on time 🙄

I just heard today that this is David Warner's last test. Wow! Did anyone else know that?

I enjoyed his work in 'The Omen', not a fan of the character he plays in the Test team though - did he really spend some time with Joe Root and Martin Crowe to flesh out the personality side of his performance?

Had anyone else heard that Steve Smith is opening for Australia for the first time?

Well I’ll be blowed!

I’m so glad Channel 7 told me that.

About 793 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell is just another in a long line of "When you're a star, they let you do it. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything" money making machines that the establishment, the media and all games administrators enable with their practiced indifference.

Regardless he has so much IPL **** off money now that it makes little difference to him what he does. He's a star and beyond sanction.

It's the world that they allow us to live in. After all the (big) show must go on.

Tom Elliot on 3AW this morning went on and on and on about Dan Andrews getting his award today. I don't agree with it either but must be a slow news day to go on about it that much.
Then they had Kennett on saying what a disgrace it was. Then first item on their news every hour was KENNETT SAYS ITS A DISGRACE!! Couldn't get anyone more unbiased to comment hey?
One good thing Elliot said was that he doesn't agree with pollies getting awards at all........

In the Australia Day Honours of 2005, Kennett received Australia's then highest civilian honour, when he was made a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC). :think:

The largest public protest in Melbourne since the Vietnam War Moratorium occurred on 10 November 1992, with an estimated 100,000 people marching in opposition to the retrenchment of many workers and the large State budget cutbacks. Kennett was undeterred by this protest, and famously commented that though there were 100,000 outside his office at Parliament that day, there were 4.5 million who stayed at home or at work.

Tom Elliot on 3AW this morning went on and on and on about Dan Andrews getting his award today. I don't agree with it either but must be a slow news day to go on about it that much.
Then they had Kennett on saying what a disgrace it was. Then first item on their news every hour was KENNETT SAYS ITS A DISGRACE!! Couldn't get anyone more unbiased to comment hey?
One good thing Elliot said was that he doesn't agree with pollies getting awards at all........

In the Australia Day Honours of 2005, Kennett received Australia's then highest civilian honour, when he was made a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC). :think:

The largest public protest in Melbourne since the Vietnam War Moratorium occurred on 10 November 1992, with an estimated 100,000 people marching in opposition to the retrenchment of many workers and the large State budget cutbacks. Kennett was undeterred by this protest, and famously commented that though there were 100,000 outside his office at Parliament that day, there were 4.5 million who stayed at home or at work.

I don't agree with any politician getting an honour like that, they get well looked after and it's their job, so just retire and go into the distance.

However, the whole attempt by Kennett to whitewash his place in Victoria's history by latching onto Beyondblue is just as galling as anything Andrews ever did, particularly when the Kennett Government would have caused plenty of mental health issues for people through the 90s.

Now we have the Great Elder Statesmen Kennett, like the Oracle, perched high on his stool ready for a tediously long dissertation on how s*** Victoria is right now (but it's not political at all he's at pains to point out).

Personally, I dislike all sides of politics equally. But when I hear the constant s****** on Victoria by Victorians it gives me the well, you know what.

We have the likes of Kennett, our right wing shock jocks and the likes of the Herald Sun constantly bashing Victoria day in day out. Is it necessary? No, course not. Will they stop? No, because it's all political, it's all because they don't like the government and making Victorians feel s** about themselves and their lives they hope will convince people to change the government. It's cynical and it's bull** but it'll probably work. So in the one breath these types go on about the mental health crisis in Victoria but are happy with causing more by their constant negativity.

It's all a vicious cycle and as a Dad with young kids, I just want them to feel happy walking out the door and not constantly be bombarded with negativity everywhere, particularly from our media and our pollies.

Last edited:
I'm in Derry City having just watched the Euro final. It's something of an understatement to say that the people of Derry aren't just ready to forgive the English yet. It's party central here tonight.

I'm in Derry City having just watched the Euro final. It's something of an understatement to say that the people of Derry aren't just ready to forgive the English yet. It's party central here tonight.
They would love to go back in time to live under a dictator like Franco. ? So many Irish jokes, so little time...

They would love to go back in time to live under a dictator like Franco. ? So many Irish jokes, so little time...

Derry has very strong links to the other side of Spanish politics. This is Barcelona country, not Madrid.

"Viva la quinta brigade, the passion and the pledge thst made them fight."

As for understanding dictatorships, that's a weird comment if you know anything at all about this city. An English guy on Facebook said "we're still living rent free inside your head." An Irishman shot back "we paid the rent for 800 years!"

I was pretty neutral , I have a lot of English friends and can't help supporting the underdog. But the atmosphere in the bar when Spain scored was amazing. I suppose it would be like when your least favourite AFL team got beaten in a grand final, but they were by guilty by association for the deaths of your friends & relatives. Derry is a small city.

On reflection I'm glad Spain won as the English press would have been insufferable.

You'd be very welcome to try out your Irish jokes at the Bogside pubs, let me know when you can visit.

Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back