Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Not taking anything away from Maxwell's incredible knock, but the Aussie performance was piss poor.

Only managed to take 5 wickets in 50 overs against Afghanistan.
Allowed Afghanistan to score nearly 300.
Take Maxwell's innings out and the top 7 batsman scored the grand total of 65 runs.

Not taking anything away from Maxwell's incredible knock, but the Aussie performance was piss poor.

Take Maxwell's innings out and the top 7 batsman scored the grand total of 65 runs.
Yes, but the greatest individual performances often come when those around them fail. Their failure gave Maxwell the opportunity to break records.

Afghanistan played brilliantly. Batted well, Bowled with fire and venom.

And it took a miracle to beat them.

The aussies really need to find some of that heat in the bowling line up. Especially heading into finals.

The last 5-6 overs we bowled were trash, but before that it was about on par with what many other teams have done against Afghanistan. The Afghans have had a few shockers v NZ and Bangladesh, but overall their batting deserves some credit. They won chasing with 286/2 v Pakistan and 242/3 v Sri Lanka. Scored 284 v England and 272 v India.

The last 5-6 overs we bowled were trash, but before that it was about on par with what many other teams have done against Afghanistan. The Afghans have had a few shockers v NZ and Bangladesh, but overall their batting deserves some credit. They won chasing with 286/2 v Pakistan and 242/3 v Sri Lanka. Scored 284 v England and 272 v India.
Also it was really hooping the first 15 overs of the second innings. Big time.

If Afghanistan had batted second they would have been all out for 50.

Also it was really hooping the first 15 overs of the second innings. Big time.

If Afghanistan had batted second they would have been all out for 50.
The aussies really didn't think their way thrugh that first period.

Just had to be conservative for a bit, then attack late. Instead they tried to force the issue.

Particularly Head and Inglis's shots. I'd be having a word to guys in H grade trudging off after that, let alone an international.
And Marnus falling asleep at the non-strikers end.

And Marnus falling asleep at the non-strikers end.
Seriously, that would not be acceptable at under tens level.
Very ordinary from Marnus. Too busy chewing gum to see that his partner had called him for the run. Then have the gall to give the glare to his partner for stopping his chewing.
That little Rascal Rashid, was playing with the Aussies minds early and it wa working. Warner got upset, then Marnus did as well.
Early on, Rashid was the one that kept the fire in the belly of the Afghanis.
An awesome display from The Big Show and with great support from Cummins.
I couldn't help but laugh every time Cummins laughed at Maxies pain and suffering.Kept Maxi focused I reckon.

This has really been a wonderful world cup, one of the best I can remember.

The single table format is great, the cricket obsessed Indians have provided great crowds and atmospheres for even the lower drawing games, the minnows have all acquitted themselves well and caused their fair share of upsets, we've seen plenty of great hundreds and even a historic 200, an even more historic timed out for the first time in history... and England are bottom!

All we need now is for an unbeaten India to be knocked off in the final and it will be perfect. Probably all we've missed is there hasn't been many games coming down to the last over. But T20 has probably spoiled me in that regard, I can't really remember how common it's been historically in ODIs.

I really hope they stick with the one table format, it's great having the chance to see every team play each other.

Watching the bangals, afghans and even the Dutch beat top teams shows cricket is in a good position.
The big worry will be when India reaches its full potential.
1 billion fanatics. They will be unstoppable and every other nation will be fighting for seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the bangals, afghans and even the Dutch beat top teams shows cricket is in a good position.
The big worry will be when India reaches its full potential.
1 billion fanatics. They will be unstoppable and every other nation will be fighting for seconds.

I miss the good old days when only the rich got to play for India and they were hopeless. The danger was always if they could get their act together and tap into 1 billion fanatics playing street cricket identifying & nurturing the best talent.

This has really been a wonderful world cup, one of the best I can remember.

The single table format is great, the cricket obsessed Indians have provided great crowds and atmospheres for even the lower drawing games, the minnows have all acquitted themselves well and caused their fair share of upsets, we've seen plenty of great hundreds and even a historic 200, an even more historic timed out for the first time in history... and England are bottom!

All we need now is for an unbeaten India to be knocked off in the final and it will be perfect. Probably all we've missed is there hasn't been many games coming down to the last over. But T20 has probably spoiled me in that regard, I can't really remember how common it's been historically in ODIs.

I really hope they stick with the one table format, it's great having the chance to see every team play each other.
It goes on for far too long

Men's ODI records set last night:
  • Highest ever score by a number 6 (by some margin) all nations
  • Highest score by someone not opening all nations
  • Highest ever score chasing all nations
  • First double hundred chasing all nations
  • Highest 8th wicket partnership all nations (its now higher than the 7th wicket record).
  • Highest score by an Australian

Without checking some of these are probably List A records too.
Update: It the highest ever score by a number 6 (or lower) chasing in list A cricket. Which is insane when you consider probably half the no doubt 10s of thousands of list A 50 over games have been completed by sides who wouldn't beat the Tasmanian 2nd XI (e.g. PNG v Bahrain or a Nat West trophy game in 1982)

I think we will beat South Africa in the Semis

Great bilateral series team but Choking at cricket world cups is in there blood.

1992, 1999, 2007, 2011, 2015.

Not even including 2003 when they mucked up the DLS and Boucher blocked the last ball thinking they were ahead with it pissing down and it ended up a tie.

They didn't leave the group stage and Kenya ended up making the semi finals.

Then last year at the T20 World cup losing to the Netherlands at Adelaide Oval chasing a paltry 158 on a sunny day to get into the semis and the pressure got to them.

The only ever time they have delivered in a high pressure game in white ball cricket was the 430 they ran down against the Aussies at Joberg back in 2006. Which was just a freakish match.

IMG_6986.jpeg Meg Lanning has retired from international cricket, aged 31.
😭
💔

241 appearances for Australia (182 as captain), 7 World Cups - 5 as captain, leading run scorer for women across all formats with over 8000, led Australia to 26 consecutive wins in ODIs. Absolute legend.

Last edited:
Does Marcus Stoinis do anything when he plays for WA to justify his continual selection for Australia.

Other then his Rig and his best mate is Adam Zampa.

He barely bowls has done SFA with the Bat since that innings at Eden Park 6 years ago which was a fluke.

He isn't even a live wire in the field.

Does anyone know what he positively brings to the team other then a tanning machine on tour.

Does Marcus Stoinis do anything when he plays for WA to justify his continual selection for Australia.

Other then his Rig and his best mate is Adam Zampa.

He barely bowls has done SFA with the Bat since that innings at Eden Park 6 years ago which was a fluke.

He isn't even a live wire in the field.

Does anyone know what he positively brings to the team other than a tanning machine on tour.
No idea. It’s genuinely baffling.

Ricky Ponting just claimed that Warney predicted the Herschel Gibbs ‘dropped the world cup’ dropped catch at the team meeting before the game. Considering the amount of times he astutely predicted play when commentating I fully believe it too.

I really wish he was still with us. He was a gift to cricket and a true once in a lifetime legend of the game.

Ricky Ponting just claimed that Warney predicted the Herschel Gibbs ‘dropped the world cup’ dropped catch at the team meeting before the game. Considering the amount of times he astutely predicted play when commentating I fully believe it too.

I really wish he was still with us. He was a gift to cricket and a true once in a lifetime legend of the game.
Was lucky enough to meet warnie and get a photo with him when he did his book tour 5 years ago I reckon.

Warne was great and frustrating at the same time with his commentary he had his favourites and agendas with certain players that I didn't like.

He was better in the UK I think they kept more on a leash then what 9 did. And talking actual cricket tactics.

I remember he said KP told him he would never bowl him around his legs. So warnie saw that as a challenge.

And day 5 of Amazing Adelaide in 06 ashes he did it. If you watch the video of the wicket you will see warnie point to Michael Clarke saying I told you in reference to getting KP put around his legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back