Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL steals cricketers in AFL states line has a bit of truth to it, since cricketers' physiques are much more similar to footy players than rugby players so NSW is more insulated from that effect.

Half the WA/Scorchers squad are poms or saffa migrants who don't traditionally play much footy as kids.

That first bit is exactly what I’m talking about when I say that there’s other reasons NSW produce more cricketers than other states outside of population.

I actually think that WA over performs on average in terms of producing test players given population. I feel either Queensland or WA has usually been pretty strong along with NSW the whole time I’ve been watching cricket tbh.

I’ve never seen such a weak NSW side. It won’t be pretty watching in 2-3 years imo - gotta hope some of these 20-25 year olds come good pretty quick otherwise it’ll be 2010/2011 Ashes bad regularly.

Smith with a failure first up. Marnus needs to put the hook away.

How long do they let Smith open without a good score?
But. But… he’s gonna score 400
As an opener!

So they dropped Green for Marsh, can anyone tell me what Green has done since being dropped to earn his spot back? I get he’s super talented and all, but what has he done to earn his test spot back since they dropped him? Surely a spot for the national team needs to be earned not just given because you’re uber talented. What’s wrong with making the kid wait and earn it? What’s the rush?

So they dropped Green for Marsh, can anyone tell me what Green has done since being dropped to earn his spot back? I get he’s super talented and all, but what has he done to earn his test spot back since they dropped him? Surely a spot for the national team needs to be earned not just given because you’re uber talented. What’s wrong with making the kid wait and earn it? What’s the rush?
Green was injured in the ashes and Marsh was his replacement but has played really well and as Warner is gone Green was next cab off the rank

Green was injured in the ashes and Marsh was his replacement but has played really well and as Warner is gone Green was next cab off the rank

Green never would’ve been out of the team in the first place if it wasn’t for injury. Marsh made himself impossible to drop by scoring a very good hundred.

Green had scored a ton in ****ing India literally 2-3 tests before he was ‘dropped’. His batting average of 33 is satisfactory at worst for an all rounder and is probably better than what you could get from any batter outside the team. It really frustrates me people saying Green shouldn’t be brought back because he was shite at test level - that’s just false.

His batting average in first class is 45. He does that at test level eventually and is even slightly useful with the ball he’s probably statistically Australia’s best all rounder in probably 80-odd years.

It was an absolute no brainer to get Green back into the side even if some don’t like how it was done.

I reckon he scores test hundred no.2 tmr. Won’t prove shite because it’s the West Indies but it’ll shut some people up.

Last edited:
Cam Green FC Career average is 46.

Take out the tests matches his Domestic FC average is 56.

Yeah his test stats are below that. I expect that to get better the more he plays.

But he is one of the best 6 bats in the country atm.

I just think we’re putting too much pressure on green and setting him up to fail, similar to the pressure on Mitch marsh in his early career.

Since green made his ton in India, he’s averaged 18.5 in 8 test innings. Even that ton he made was a bit of an outlier.

His injury during the ashes was timely as he was on a lean spell.

I just feel he’s so young, let the kid bash the door down with runs at shield level again. He’s so young, there’s no rush. I feel we’ve tried to force him into the team based on his potential, not his current form.

I’m a Green fan don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think he’s quite ready yet. Exactly the same thing happened to Mitch marsh early in his career

I just think we’re putting too much pressure on green and setting him up to fail, similar to the pressure on Mitch marsh in his early career.

Since green made his ton in India, he’s averaged 18.5 in 8 test innings. Even that ton he made was a bit of an outlier.

I just feel he’s so young, let the kid bash the door down with runs at shield level again. He’s so young, there’s no rush. I feel we’ve tried to force him into the team based on his potential, not his current form.

I’m a Green fan don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think he’s quite ready yet. Exactly the same thing happened to Mitch marsh early in his career

Plenty of players have struggled for Australia in England.

His game stood up really well in the sub-continent which I can’t say about many Australian cricketers at all tbh. He looked ready to really take test cricket by storm at the end of that India series imo.

Let’s just see how he does this series. One hundred in the near future amongst mostly starts will mean his numbers as a batter are pretty bloody good for an all rounder.

Touch of arrogance from the curators round the country this test summer; a series of overly bowler friendly tracks*. To my mind this is not in our favour as our bowling is clear strength over the touring sides. Good batting tracks that offer just enough movement maximise our advantage (can you imagine Greaves or the less good Joseph moving the ball one mm on a good track?). Poor tracks just brings less skilful bowlers back into the game. It can also hardly be the preference of the state associations, all these 3 and half day tests.

Hopefully the Gabba curator takes notice of this and cuts it a couple of mil shorter.

*I will excuse Perth as I suspect it's never going to be easy to bat on a drop in here after the first two days. It was hard enough to get the WACA to stay in one piece for 4 or 5 days unless you prepared it as a road, what chance has a drop in got?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of players have struggled for Australia in England.

His game stood up really well in the sub-continent which I can’t say about many Australian cricketers at all tbh. He looked ready to really take test cricket by storm at the end of that India series imo.

Let’s just see how he does this series. One hundred in the near future amongst mostly starts will mean his numbers as a batter are pretty bloody good for an all rounder.
I think he did ok in India - he made 21, 114, 6 & 25, but I’m not sure if I’d say he stood up really well.

He made that 114 against India and made 51* against sth Africa last summer, but apart from those 2 scores his test innings have been pretty average for the last 18 months. Hope we’re not burning the kid out

Touch of arrogance from the curators round the country this test summer; a series of overly bowler friendly tracks*. To my mind this is not in our favour as our bowling is clear strength over the touring sides. Good batting tracks that offer just enough movement maximise our advantage (can you imagine Greaves or the less good Joseph moving the ball one mm on a good track?). Poor tracks just brings less skilful bowlers back into the game. It can also hardly be the preference of the state associations, all these 3 and half day tests.

Hopefully the Gabba curator takes notice of this and cuts it a couple of mil shorter.

*I will excuse Perth as I suspect it's never going to be easy to bat on a drop in here after the first two days. It was hard enough to get the WACA to stay in one piece for 4 or 5 days unless you prepared it as a road, what chance has a drop in got?
Cricket is a better game when the bowlers are dominating.

I think all wickets this summer have produced some decent cricket

Cricket is a better game when the bowlers are dominating.

I think all wickets this summer have produced some decent cricket

This test match will be over by lunch on day three and it started on a Wednesday!

I prefer good bowling conditions to roads but when you’ve got shite opposition* you might want to prepare pitches where the game will actually last into the fourth and fifth days.

* I actually don’t think Pakistan are that bad tbh. It’s tough playing overseas unless your opposition is shite, which we certainly aren’t.

The Marsh comparison is correct.The selectors crucified MM in his early days.
Green has no played a first class game or any red ball cricket sine the Ashes.Hopefully now the selectors will rdie with him and get him playing more red ball cricket.
I amm not sure just why sopme are taking pot shots at Green, is it because he is a West Aussie!!!

The Marsh comparison is correct.The selectors crucified MM in his early days.
Green has no played a first class game or any red ball cricket sine the Ashes.Hopefully now the selectors will rdie with him and get him playing more red ball cricket.
I amm not sure just why sopme are taking pot shots at Green, is it because he is a West Aussie!!!
Green is several classes above Marsh as a first class batsman (especially at 24) and genuinely the best shield batsman not already in the team. So it's a little different. Marsh was playing on potential early days. Green is actually very good for WA.

A question, why did the umpires stop play without the required number of overs were bowled?
According to ABC radio, when the Windies started their innings, there was 27 over still to bowl in the day.I think when Lyon dismissed Greaves, there was 3.1 overs to bowl.
The sun was shining brightly, it was early enough to continue to play.
It is time that the ICC demanded that the required numbers of overs be bowled in a days play.
The spectators are being short changed every day of a game of cricket.
I agree with Julian and there must be action taken to speed up the game.

Green is several classes above Marsh as a first class batsman (especially at 24) and genuinely the best shield batsman not already in the team. So it's a little different. Marsh was playing on potential early days. Green is actually very good for WA.
At the same age, Marsh was considered the best young all rounder Australia had had for many many years.He was badly mishandled.

At the same age, Marsh was considered the best young all rounder Australia had had for many many years.He was badly mishandled.
His record was far inferior to both Green and Watson at the same age.

He was an exciting prospect, but those other two were significantly better batsman and I'd argue both comfortably better bowlers too.

He's the 3rd most talented all-rounder we've had in the last 25 years.

His record was far inferior to both Green and Watson at the same age.

He was an exciting prospect, but those other two were significantly better batsman and I'd argue both comfortably better bowlers too.

He's the 3rd most talented all-rounder we've had in the last 25 years.

Marsh was averaging just over half as much at shield level than Green is now.

But it’s the same situation all over again apparently.

If you want to compare Green to anyone it’s probably Watson - very similar first class stats. Outside of limited overs cricket and a 2-3 year period at test level, Watson never really fulfilled his talent at test level. Had a lot of injuries which held his bowling back though.

I think Green is doing fine tbh. Hopefully he can make the most of an opportunity at no.4 where he isn’t either coming in when we’re in trouble (mostly this happens in bowling friendly conditions) or when he needs to slog to get quick runs. TBF Marsh’s test record probably wasn’t helped by those two scenarios coming up far too much either.

There are very few current batsmen in Australia with the techniques to not be consistently found out by quality Test bowlers in bowler friendly conditions. I can’t think of one who you could say unequivocally deserves a spot more than Green. Bancroft, Harris, Renshaw have technical flaws that can be papered over against Shield bowlers but haven’t and won’t stand up at the top level. Our selectors have a pretty good track record in this regard so I’ve got no qualms with Green coming back in. He has the potential to be the future of Test cricket in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back