Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Warner averaged 29 in the Ashes.

As rubbish as that is I would not expect any of Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw to get that, in fact I doubt any of them average over 20.

There is why Warner is still in the team. Replacing Warner has a middle order player’s name all over it - we just haven’t worked out which one yet.

Pucovski is the only opener in Australia outside the test team that’s got even close to enough ability to be successful at test level in the next 2-3 years.

Morons seem to think we have Chris Rogers or Phil Jaques in the Sheffield Shield. The selectors need to live in reality - finding new openers from what’s actually in the shield is going to be very very hard.
Travis Head opened in India tests earlier this year.

I suppose do you risk though what he offers in the middle against the new ball first up.

In a way he plays like Warner anyway.

Renshaw is the only one out those 3 you mentioned that actually looked decent at test level but that was 7 years ago when he was 20.

He still has time on his side but I recall he didn't do much in the first place to get dropped.

Might have needed a spell

But it was more Bancroft before the 2017 ashes series scored 2 x 100s in a shield match against the Starc, Cummins, Haze and Lyon which convinced and demanded selectors to pick him.

Langer then had a personality clash with Renshaw post sandpaper and never picked him during his coaching stint.

We got stuck with Finch, Harris, Bancroft, Burns as openers during that era apart from Uzzie and Warner.

Johnson had a few of the greatest spells ever seen but he's not in the top bracket. He is also right about Warner, does not deserve the year long retirement tours he's had, s**t in England and India and getting handed one last crap team to bully in Australia
Take out the summer of 13/14 where Johnson annihilated England and broke South Africa in 3 tests after that.

He averaged 31 with the ball for a bloke who on his day was as destructive as anyone he had too many down moments.

And as you say did sfa in England and India. His 2010 ashes series at home outside of a 30 min spell at the WACA was just as pathetic as his stints in the UK.

Warner should have been dumped a while back. I think CA don't want to rock the boat worried he will spill everything afterwards about Sandpaper if he doesn't get his fairytale ending at the SCG.

Let's be honest I am not a fan but he wasn't just one of 3 people responsible for the sandpaper shit that went down. More definitely knew and those 3 took the bullets basically.

And he lost his mind once de kock sledged him about Candice and SBW that series in the 1st test the saffas crowd just abused him after that and I think it just enraged him to do stupid things.

Travis Head opened in India tests earlier this year.

I suppose do you risk though what he offers in the middle against the new ball first up.

In a way he plays like Warner anyway.

Renshaw is the only one out those 3 you mentioned that actually looked decent at test level but that was 7 years ago when he was 20.

He still has time on his side but I recall he didn't do much in the first place to get dropped.

Might have needed a spell

But it was more Bancroft before the 2017 ashes series scored 2 x 100s in a shield match against the Starc, Cummins, Haze and Lyon which convinced and demanded selectors to pick him.

Langer then had a personality clash with Renshaw post sandpaper and never picked him during his coaching stint.

We got stuck with Finch, Harris, Bancroft, Burns as openers during that era apart from Uzzie and Warner.

I’m more than convinced that none of the openers in the shield are currently good enough to replace Warner’s current output. That and the fact there’s the slim possibility he’ll wind back the clock are why he’s still getting selected imo.

Renshaw isn’t out of the team because of a personality clash - he’s been hopeless since his first couple of series. More so than Bancroft and Harris.

Outside of the miracle that would be Pucovski coming good I don’t see a viable option other than trying middle order players there.

I’m more than convinced that none of the openers in the shield are currently good enough to replace Warner’s current output. That and the fact there’s the slim possibility he’ll wind back the clock are why he’s still getting selected imo.

Renshaw isn’t out of the team because of a personality clash - he’s been hopeless since his first couple of series. More so than Bancroft and Harris.

Outside of the miracle that would be Pucovski coming good I don’t see a viable option other than trying middle order players there.
We miss Phil Hughes for many reasons.

We miss Phil Hughes for many reasons.
Could've been a very good long term player for us and probably partners Warner for the majority of 2015 to now tbh. Remember being so devastated when that happened.

If Hughes was in the team though I doubt we ever see Khawaja at the top. We'd be having the same discussion because recalling a 36 year old wouldn't be seen as the way forward.

Hughes was about 18 months younger than Warner and Khawaja are.

For all the heat he copped Joe Burns was the best partner we found for Warner and by a long way. He's 34 himself though and not even looking close to putting up the form required for a recall.

Last edited:
NSW had 4 great batsman come through at the same time.

Khawaja, Hughes, Warner & Smith. Its a shame we missed on Hughesy as well.

Its why the depth of Australian Cricket is a concern right now.

NSW have dropped the ball when it comes to development.

NSW & WA have always been the 2 best states at producing talent.

And the saying you get a Baggy Blue you get a Baggy Green is just laughable.

How many players have played Tests for Australia from NSW in the past 20 years that haven't deserved it.

I could name a full team from consisting of Victoria, South Australia & Tassie players in past 20 years of the Baggy Green Garbage 11. And it showed in there performances at Test Level.

NSW had 4 great batsman come through at the same time.

Khawaja, Hughes, Warner & Smith. Its a shame we missed on Hughesy as well.

Its why the depth of Australian Cricket is a concern right now.

NSW have dropped the ball when it comes to development.

NSW & WA have always been the 2 best states at producing talent.

And the saying you get a Baggy Blue you get a Baggy Green is just laughable.

How many players have played Tests for Australia from NSW in the past 20 years that haven't deserved it.

I could name a full team from consisting of Victoria, South Australia & Tassie players in past 20 years of the Baggy Green Garbage 11. And it showed in there performances at Test Level.

We’ve always been at our best when NSW makes up about half the team and we’ve got states mostly represented. And yes WA has reasonably consistently had 2-3 players in the team.

ATM South Australia and Tasmania are mostly made up of players from other states. Yes South Australia have Head and Carey in the test side but the strength of the local talent in their shield side is a real issue.

NSW are as bad as they’ve ever been right when a golden generation is coming to their end. Make no mistake - Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins is a very good group. All from NSW. Yes Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath (and others) were better but the impact of losing the current group could actually be greater.

We’ve always been at our best when NSW makes up about half the team and we’ve got states mostly represented. And yes WA has reasonably consistently had 2-3 players in the team.

ATM South Australia and Tasmania are mostly made up of players from other states. Yes South Australia have Head and Carey in the test side but the strength of the local talent in their shield side is a real issue.
WA has 10% of the population, SA 7% & Tassie 2%. They are doing fine compared to that metric. Victoria have been the ones to not provide their share of the players lately. Most of them seem to come via WA first.

WA has 10% of the population, SA 7% & Tassie 2%. They are doing fine compared to that metric. Victoria have been the ones to not provide their share of the players lately. Most of them seem to come via WA first.

I agree on Tasmania. A certain amount of ex-pats playing for other states is healthy imo - look at what Gilchrist did when he moved to WA, Watson stated his career in Tasmania.

The South Australian shield side in the last round of the shield had four players originally from South Australia though. The strength of their shield side has been a problem for around a decade and they’re only just starting to turn it around now - some more local talent is the only way to sustain it though. Must say though two players in the test team is pretty decent.

I'm bloody ropeable about access to all ICC events being sold to Amazon Prime video. It's only a matter of time before all sports go down this path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man city lost this morning to Aston Villa in the premier League.

Suck shit to the greedy grubs they are poison to football that club now.

Be nice if the FA grew some balls and punished them as well after whacking Everton with a big stick.

Be nice if the FA grew some balls and punished them as well after whacking Everton with a big stick.

They will. There difference between the two is over 100 charges for City and only one for Everton. The City case will take years to sort out.

The key thing is how watertight the PL have made the recent agreement that they forced clubs to sign to stop appeals to CAS. If that doesn't withstand legal challenges and Man Citeh are still allowed to appeal any PL penalty to CAS to string this out, it's going to be many years unfortunately

Everton were also ****wits. They knew they were going to be in trouble so went themselves to the PL. They went through things they can and can't do to get their house in order to avoid the situation they are in. In their arrogance they decided to disregard the instructions and do what they wanted.

Part of me think the reason the stupid Blueshite copped such a harsh penalty is because they disregarded advice from the authorities on how to avoid a points deduction.

Everton were also *******s. They knew they were going to be in trouble so went themselves to the PL. They went through things they can and can't do to get their house in order to avoid the situation they are in. In their arrogance they decided to disregard the instructions and do what they wanted.

Part of me think the reason the stupid Blueshite copped such a harsh penalty is because they disregarded advice from the authorities on how to avoid a points deduction.

As an Everton fan the deduction is so unbelievably unjust it’s wild. The biggest deduction in PL history for overspending the cap on new stadium costs only, nothing beneficial on field, that benefits the PL, due to market crashes from Covid and a war between Ukraine and Russia.
Bigger deduction than clubs being run into administration got!

They even came forward and alerted the PL of the breaches and worked cooperatively alongside the PL to assess these spendings, and it came down to the payment required after interest which Everton believed was for before interest, so a fairly honest mistake.

They overspent and deserve a charge/deduction. 3 points would have been a fair slap. All the while Man City and Chelsea have over 115 charges combined that are from 3 years ago that are being left untouched so they can make an example of the smaller club first. Money is most certainly the power in the PL and anyone who thinks it’s a fairer comp than AFL just doesn’t know.

As an Everton fan the deduction is so unbelievably unjust it’s wild. The biggest deduction in PL history for overspending the cap on new stadium costs only, nothing beneficial on field, that benefits the PL, due to market crashes from Covid and a war between Ukraine and Russia.

They even came forward and alerted the PL of the breaches and worked cooperatively alongside the PL to assess these spendings, and it came down to the payment required after interest which Everton believed was for before interest, so a fairly honest mistake.

They overspent and deserve a charge/deduction. 3 points would have been a fair slap. All the while Man City and Chelsea have over 115 charges combined that are from 3 years ago that are being left untouched so they can make an example of the smaller club first. Money is most certainly the power in the PL and anyone who thinks it’s a fairer comp than AFL just doesn’t know.
dont think those 115 charges are being left untouched tbf, just a ****ing huge scope so will take a while. will it actually result in some meaningful consequences though? not sure

Your lot should be forced to wear Kieran Trippier's wages under your bill after his performance this morning, best Everton player on the pitch.

Your lot should be forced to wear Kieran Trippier's wages under your bill after his performance this morning, best Everton player on the pitch.
I was devastated when he left Spurs. I haven't followed him this year but knew he'd become a gun. Just glad it's for a non-London team.

I was devastated when he left Spurs. I haven't followed him this year but knew he'd become a gun. Just glad it's for a non-London team.
He's had a weird start to the season to be honest. Last year I'd say he was consistently better. He started this year like he was the best right back in England, played like a Sunday footballer this morning, and we've had everything in between

He's had a weird start to the season to be honest. Last year I'd say he was consistently better. He started this year like he was the best right back in England, played like a Sunday footballer this morning, and we've had everything in between
Inconsistent you say? You can take the boy out of Spurs but not the Spurs out of the boy 😅

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back