Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Animal proteins are the most nutrient dense, chickpeas and legumes and other plant proteins are nowhere near as nutritious, and would also be adding to carb levels, definitely something to avoid for any diabetic - Type 1 or 2 or even pre-diabetic. Despite what many diabetic associations say.
Ok, I got side tracked :nomouth:.... I'll just leave it there.
Probably want to be a bit more specific here. Ultimately protein is protein regardless of the source. Protein from meat vs veg makes no difference.

Anyhow, this topic is one that would require many pages of text to discuss.

I recently swapped from MyFitnessPal to a new app called MacroFactor, highly recommend all that are interested in healthy eating/getting shredded to give it a go.

It’s not just for people serious about fitness either, in fact the less you know about nutritious eating and fitness, the more valuable these tools are.

If you want to truly get your health under control then there’s no substitute to daily weigh ins and tracking what you eat. Doesn’t need to be perfect either, just consistent.

I train about 5 days per week and am currently at 11% body fat thanks to keeping on top of my food. Many just don’t realise how many calories are in a glass of milk or a slice of white bread, it’s way more than people intuit.

In my opinion,
curry is used to disguise rotting or poor quality meat.
Not for my taste palate, & it isn't the heat, I love chili

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would say that is what it originally was made for yes, but it caught on. Same with lamb shanks, it was a way to make use of tough to eat meat and it became a main line dish.

My "healthier" diet started over 10 years ago.

Blood pressure went boom even though I wasn't particularly over weight.
Before diet did not seem to really be an issue for me.

Started by cutting out fast food chains.
Then bread.
Then sugar in my coffee 😭😭
After that Lollys and crisps.

This year I have tried to remove a lot of processed foods, including processed meats..that means bacon..insert more tears here.

It's been a journey. I did it for my blood pressure but it's effected all other aspects of my mental and physical health.
My taste buds have adjusted to appreciate what I'm eating instead of gorging on sugar, salt and whatever artificial sweeteners and flavours they have tailored for us.

Whatever you are trying to do just adjust a little bit of your routine at a time until they become habits. Works for me.
Sometimes you will regress, really don't have to be too hard on yourself.

Turning 50 next year and feeling pretty healthy 🤣

I digress.

It's a chat about getting ripped.

My "healthier" diet started over 10 years ago.

Blood pressure went boom even though I wasn't particularly over weight.
Before diet did not seem to really be an issue for me.

Started by cutting out fast food chains.
Then bread.
Then sugar in my coffee 😭😭
After that Lollys and crisps.

This year I have tried to remove a lot of processed foods, including processed meats..that means bacon..insert more tears here.

It's been a journey. I did it for my blood pressure but it's effected all other aspects of my mental and physical health.
My taste buds have adjusted to appreciate what I'm eating instead of gorging on sugar, salt and whatever artificial sweeteners and flavours they have tailored for us.

Whatever you are trying to do just adjust a little bit of your routine at a time until they become habits. Works for me.
Sometimes you will regress, really don't have to be too hard on yourself.

Turning 50 next year and feeling pretty healthy 🤣

I digress.

It's a chat about getting ripped.
It's not just about getting ripped

It's hugely important not to have high blood pressure and have good physical and mental strength

Sounds like you are doing well

Probably want to be a bit more specific here. Ultimately protein is protein regardless of the source. Protein from meat vs veg makes no difference.

Anyhow, this topic is one that would require many pages of text to discuss.

I recently swapped from MyFitnessPal to a new app called MacroFactor, highly recommend all that are interested in healthy eating/getting shredded to give it a go.

It’s not just for people serious about fitness either, in fact the less you know about nutritious eating and fitness, the more valuable these tools are.

If you want to truly get your health under control then there’s no substitute to daily weigh ins and tracking what you eat. Doesn’t need to be perfect either, just consistent.

I train about 5 days per week and am currently at 11% body fat thanks to keeping on top of my food. Many just don’t realise how many calories are in a glass of milk or a slice of white bread, it’s way more than people intuit.

It's funny for me that I was dropping heaps of weight when doing weights while adding muscle. Went from 86 down to 80 with a decent amount of muscle gained.

I took a week off in early April then started back up and now have added on weight. I'm 84 to 85 now doing the same weights plus a similar diet n sleep routine.

Not sure why my weight is increasing?

It's funny for me that I was dropping heaps of weight when doing weights while adding muscle. Went from 86 down to 80 with a decent amount of muscle gained.

I took a week off in early April then started back up and now have added on weight. I'm 84 to 85 now doing the same weights plus a similar diet n sleep routine.

Not sure why my weight is increasing?
Our metabolism is constantly changing and it’s not always clear why. In general, muscle weight burns something like ten times the calories of fat weight, so that’s a significant contributing factor for metabolism changes even at the same weight. But there are many factors, NEAT, cardio for example. My average calorie burn is more than 500 calories higher in summer than winter because of increased cycling.

At its simplest, weight increasing = calorie excess, weight decreasing = calorie deficit.
Try to get at least 2g protein for each kg you weigh. Don’t have to go too overboard. The body uses protein as an energy source, so excess also gets converted to fat.

I have to be careful because this subject is so deep it cannot be properly understood discussing it like this. Ultimately, each person has to figure out what works best for them.

Our metabolism is constantly changing and it’s not always clear why. In general, muscle weight burns something like ten times the calories of fat weight, so that’s a significant contributing factor for metabolism changes even at the same weight. But there are many factors, NEAT, cardio for example. My average calorie burn is more than 500 calories higher in summer than winter because of increased cycling.

At its simplest, weight increasing = calorie excess, weight decreasing = calorie deficit.
Try to get at least 2g protein for each kg you weigh. Don’t have to go too overboard. The body uses protein as an energy source, so excess also gets converted to fat.

I have to be careful because this subject is so deep it cannot be properly understood discussing it like this. Ultimately, each person has to figure out what works best for them.

Yeah mate it is a complex topic

I try get 160 to 170 g of protien a day. Maybe I'm not as strict on my fats and sugars at the moment but as I don't strictly track them I'm not 100% sure.

It's interesting though how in-depth you can get when it comes to lifting plus cardio with nutrition and sleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back