Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're saying the mascot thing was a kid. If so, no doubt not thinking there's a person in there, their nose is right there not to mention it's a big spongey head and they've probably hit it playing around cos it's the "stupid Power" and got it right in the mesh part they look through.

Yet there's headlines like Power mascot ATTACKED!
I once played the Caramello Koala at the Lygon Street festa and I've never been more physically assaulted in my life. Kids will SMASH a dude in a suit.

When you see the number of players this is happening to and then see Houston attack a guy in a way that is designed for nothing but to seriously injure the guy, the AFL should be hitting him with a 10 week ban.
I know it sounds ridiculous and over the top, but it's going to be what is needed.

AFL umpires didn't think it deserved a free kick.

If the AFL were serious about protecting the head they would've come out and said

"We are disappointed the four AFL umpires failed to pay a free kick after the incident, it was not play on, that was an incorrect call. The four umpires involved have been stood down and will receive additional training".

AFL umpires didn't think it deserved a free kick.

If the AFL were serious about protecting the head they would've come out and said

"We are disappointed the four AFL umpires failed to pay a free kick after the incident, it was not play on, that was an incorrect call. The four umpires involved have been stood down and will receive additional training".
You assume they receive training. Nothing I've seen suggests that actually occurs.

Treacy to miss again.

Ah, to have Port's constant luck with opposition injuries.
Port are even more kissed on the dick with the timing of their game.

It could effectively be almost a dead rubber with 2nd place secured if GWS lose and the Cats dont win by a large enough margin.

It could effectively be almost a dead rubber with 2nd place secured if GWS lose and the Cats dont win by a large enough margin.
If you ask me, AFL really missing a trick here. I think they should play all three of these games at the same time. Imagine if the teams all are playing and cant manipulate results / it isnt a dead rubber by the second game. It would be amazing to watch...

One thing that has become clear in all the commentary and opinions on the Houston bump on Rankine is that people clearly don't understand the rules.

1. Houston had a choice to tackle or bump. He chose to bump.

2. Choosing to bump just like a tackle, you can not hit your opponents head by any part of your body and the ground.

Even if Rankine didn't get knocked out, Houston would still get weeks because his shoulder hit him in the chin and neck. It's not like the game invented this to screw up Port and Houston's final series and I'm not sure Port fans and some commentators understand this.

Over the past decade the AFL has been suspending players for bumping. Richard Douglas got two weeks for a fair hip and shoulder that just knocked a GWS player off balance and the idiot hit his head and knocked himself out. But that was Douglas fault. Duty of care. Rankine did the softest of bumps but it was not only a touch high, he also concussed the player. That was with so little impact. But Rankine had duty of care and he hurt his opponent. Got 4 weeks.

Several other players this year have been suspended for 4-6 weeks for similar and even worse incidents.

Regardless of Houston's being a fair player etc he knew full well a bump risks suspension, it's been well publicised with plenty of precedence. In other words he knew the punishment well before he committed the crime. Yet commentators and fans don't understand this.

I actually think the AFL needs to have a hard look at these incidences this year. Clearly the 4-6 week punishments aren't working. They aren't the deterrent they should be. Perhaps the AFL needs to make it a flat 10. Players have been warned, yet they keep doing it. The message hasn't sunk in. It's too late to make Houston the poster boy for this but the AFL should make a statement to all clubs and players they will miss half a season next year if they opt to do a Houston, Rankine etc style bump.

The AFL have to be more proactive than they are to prevent concussion.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that has become clear in all the commentary and opinions on the Houston bump on Rankine is that people clearly don't understand the rules.

1. Houston had a choice to tackle or bump. He chose to bump.

2. Choosing to bump just like a tackle, you can not hit your opponents head by any part of your body and the ground.

Even if Rankine didn't get knocked out, Houston would still get weeks because his shoulder hit him in the chin and neck. It's not like the game invented this to screw up Port and Houston's final series and I'm not sure Port fans and some commentators understand this.

Over the past decade the AFL has been suspending players for bumping. Richard Douglas got two weeks for a fair hip and shoulder that just knocked a GWS player off balance and the idiot hit his head and knocked himself out. But that was Douglas fault. Duty of care. Rankine did the softest of bumps but it was not only a touch high, he also concussed the player. That was with so little impact. But Rankine had duty of care and he hurt his opponent. Got 4 weeks.

Several other players this year have been suspended for 4-6 weeks for similar and even worse incidents.

Regardless of Houston's being a fair player etc he knew full well a bump risks suspension, it's been well publicised with plenty of precedence. In other words he knew the punishment well before he committed the crime. Yet commentators and fans don't understand this.

I actually think the AFL needs to have a hard look at these incidences this year. Clearly the 4-6 week punishments aren't working. They aren't the deterrent they should be. Perhaps the AFL needs to make it a flat 10. Players have been warned, yet they keep doing it. The message hasn't sunk in. It's too late to make Houston the poster boy for this but the AFL should make a statement to all clubs and players they will miss half a season next year if they opt to do a Houston, Rankine etc style bump.

The AFL have to be more proactive than they are to prevent concussion.

Houston is lucky he didn’t potentially injure Rankine.

Yep. He had so many choices and he chose the worst one. He could have gone down really low. And made sure he only got him in the chest but all his movement was driving upwards which means he chose to hit Rankine with maximum force. I don't get the 'its finals, give the good guy a break' type mentality. Houston's own body language suggests he doesn't give a shit and the club and his manager probably made him contact Rankine. But he never gave a shit. Rankine showed immediate remorse after hitting Starcevich. Houston did no such thing. Didn't even hang around to see if Rankine was ok.

To me he is a low character and he showed his true colours. This alone suggests he should get a hefty penalty.

My question is - is there any footage of this punch on the mascot?
Was the person a teenager or a kid? Port supporter?

Very thin on details.
Context is everything. Port haven't given any details which suggests it was a drunk supporter having a laugh. Had it been a crows fan, there'd be 500 witnesses and calls for a life ban.

Yep. He had so many choices and he chose the worst one. He could have gone down really low. And made sure he only got him in the chest but all his movement was driving upwards which means he chose to hit Rankine with maximum force. I don't get the 'its finals, give the good guy a break' type mentality. Houston's own body language suggests he doesn't give a shit and the club and his manager probably made him contact Rankine. But he never gave a shit. Rankine showed immediate remorse after hitting Starcevich. Houston did no such thing. Didn't even hang around to see if Rankine was ok.

To me he is a low character and he showed his true colours. This alone suggests he should get a hefty penalty.

Woooooooosh!

You need alot to go right to win a flag and it just feels like one of those seasons for them. I'm not sure they will win on Grand Final Day but they will be there.

Last edited:
Tigers announcing Blake Caracella returning next year. Wonder if we're actually being that proactive on making improvements.

You need alot to go right to win a flag and it just feels like one of those seasons for them. I'm not sure they will win on Grand Final Day but they will be there.
I've got a terrible, terrible feeling that they will win it this year.

FMD imagine that. It would be unbearable.

If they win it I might emigrate to Siberia. The thought of a long cold Russian winter far outweighs a nice warm South Australian summer if the ferals are reigning premiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back