Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Fully expecting to get slammed for this ...

But I like Finlayson. Wouldn't be the worst idea to get him in as a stop gap measure. Can chop out in ruck and does have an eye for goal. A 1-2 of him and Thilthorpe isn't too bad.
I was just saying the same thing to a colleague.

Only if Tex goes though.

Young Zachy is not the flavour of the month at Alberton

And I have this from a good source.

Has been brutal on his teammates in game reviews…to the point where he’s not giving ‘constructive’ advice to his lessor skilled teammates anymore. Including the young blokes.

Let’s put it this way. Young Zachy thinks he is the best and the others must follow. He can do no wrong and Kern is 100% behind him.

This attitude has been brewing since early last year.

Finlayson has been the only one to stand up to him.

There is trouble at Alberton…
and yet he looks like such a humble, respectful young man 😏

Absolutely, and when you listen to him on the radio, seems like a great bloke with passion for the game and his job.
The criticism was how often he inserted himself into the game. You could see he was desperate to pay a free in front of goal so he could be on the screen.
He loved the limelight.

Outside of that, he was actually a pretty good umpire.

The criticism was how often he inserted himself into the game. You could see he was desperate to pay a free in front of goal so he could be on the screen.
He loved the limelight.

But really he didn't, nothing compared to some of the massive w***ers nowadays

He loved the limelight

I think that’s rubbish.
I’d suggest he just has more self confidence than the average umpire to pay a free.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have had a similar list strategy for a while.

They pay the guys up the top a bigger share of the pie than we do and then fill the rest of their list with a combination of draft talent and cheap role players.

Once guys like Amon, Impey, Duursma reach the stage where they start demanding better money Port cut them loose to keep space free. It's a sound strategy if you can nail picks and the role players perform, their problem is that they've gone crazy and traded away tons of picks.

Now they've put themselves in a position where they have some top line talent, but not much else as they traded away picks and the role players they banked on haven't worked out.

There's not much they can do either because they don't have a first round pick this year and I'm pretty sure the rules are that they can't trade their 2025 first rounder so there's not much they can do trade/draft wise this year to improve their list for 2025.
They traded in JHF which gives them an out. For some dodgy, reacharound Victorian reason, if you trade in a player in their first contract who was a first rounder, it counts as you using a first rounder in that draft.

I think that’s rubbish.
I’d suggest he just has more self confidence than the average umpire to pay a free.
Maybe, but the criticism was that he would actively look to insert himself in the action. It's why the AFL pulled him down a bit and why he didn't do grand finals.
I think that his latter years were much better than his younger years.

Fully expecting to get slammed for this ...

But I like Finlayson. Wouldn't be the worst idea to get him in as a stop gap measure. Can chop out in ruck and does have an eye for goal. A 1-2 of him and Thilthorpe isn't too bad.

Nah, no chance.

You notice it more watching him live but he is lazy, a poor ruckman and can’t kick a goal under pressure.

Not well liked amongst the playing group even before the suspension. Will probably get a short extension given the state of their list but I wouldn't go near him. Given they have left it this late to re sign him says it all.

Nah, no chance.

You notice it more watching him live but he is lazy, a poor ruckman and can’t kick a goal under pressure.

Not well liked amongst the playing group even before the suspension. Will probably get a short extension given the state of their list but I wouldn't go near him. Given they have left it this late to re sign him says it all.
So he’s not well liked but he’s the only one to stand up against butters who is also not well liked?
(I know it wasn’t all your info)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back