Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what shits me with AFL media.

“Little leverage”?

Either Geelong pays up or Smith stays with Bulldogs or goes to Richmond. Or North. Or St Kilda. Or Melbourne. Or Essendon.

Edmund clearly being fed by Geelong.

I’m sure he’s also the “journalist” saying about Lukosius that it is definitely not a Jack Bowes situation when it looks exactly like a Jack Bowes situation

Edmund is just doing PR for his favourite clubs.

Going to be hard for the Cats to get an early 1st rounder, so surely they will need to give up a future 1st too?

They set the trade value when dealing with West Coast for Kelly

The issue with Rachele is he doesn't back it up. He talks the talk, can't walk the walk.

Kicking goals and helping your club win finals buys a lot of leeway.
Rachele kicked 30 goals to Ginnivan 25. Hawks a much easier team to be a forward in this season. Helps when your team is playing well.

Yet they will still be able to sign up all the players they want without an issue.

I'm sorry, but there's a smell that isn't right. Don't forget they took on a significant contract for a player they didn't really want only what a year (2?) ago.

Think you might be missing something. Players could probably get more at other clubs however the continued level of success is what attracts them.

Think if you could earn say $750k a season rather than $1m a season but play finals and be a top 4 side what would you go with. I’d take the team success every time.

I rather Park my car in the Garage to be safe.

I stll remember 15 years ago some crazy young kid decided to slash tyres around the Western Suburbs. That person stared off with normal residents, then went up a notch and went more Brazen.

That person decided to slash tyres from Motorcycles... Owned by bikie gangs!

Was that person ever seen again?

Think you might be missing something. Players could probably get more at other clubs however the continued level of success is what attracts them.

Think if you could earn say $750k a season rather than $1m a season but play finals and be a top 4 side what would you go with. I’d take the team success every time.
Yes but then when they retire apparently their huge salary off the books means they can afford new million dollar a year players.

“Little leverage”?

Either Geelong pays up or Smith stays with Bulldogs or goes to Richmond. Or North. Or St Kilda. Or Melbourne. Or Essendon.

I’m sure he’s also the “journalist” saying about Lukosius that it is definitely not a Jack Bowes situation when it looks exactly like a Jack Bowes situation

He may be out of contract but he isn’t a free agent. If the clubs can’t come to agreement he has to nominate for the pre-season draft with his salary request and then see what happens. You have two Melbourne clubs in positions 1 & 2 so good luck with that Bailey.

The protection racket for Ken Hinkley is out in full force on AFL 360.
Personally I think its great. The longer he stays at Port Power the better.

It does expose how utterly pathetic and corrupt the AFL media is though. Two days of criticism, then suddenly they report that he's 'in demand' and a big chance at club X. It happens over and over again. They did it earlier this year and have started it again this week. Suddenly he's a big chance at West Coast.
Not one media person is able to call it out for what it is.

He may be out of contract but he isn’t a free agent. If the clubs can’t come to agreement he has to nominate for the pre-season draft with his salary request and then see what happens. You have two Melbourne clubs in positions 1 & 2 so good luck with that Bailey.
We should be yelling from the rooftops we have the cap space and the want for his skillset and we will draft him if he nominates..richmond and north probably the same. That will focus minds on what the dogs and Smith think they will do

He has every Melbourne club ahead of Geelong and I think Carlton or Collingwood would look tempting to the Smith camp

A deal will get done for Smith but if he did go to the draft he would end up at Geelong or at least a club he has nominated No way another club drafts him without his consent.

It's refreshing to have a player on the move who is actually out of contract.

Suns B & F Awards already done...

TOP 10

1: Sam Collins (68)
2: Bodhi Uwland (56)
3: Sam Flanders (55)
4: Matt Rowell (54)
5: Noah Anderson (50)
6: Mac Andrew (49)
7: Wil Powell (43)
8: Ben Long (39)
9: Touk Miller (36)
10: Jarrod Witts (35)

How the voting works
Players are assessed on their performance by Gold Coast's match committee, with all players receiving a rating from 0-5 for each game they play. The match committee make a joint decision on each player, meaning the maximum votes a player can receive in any match is five.

2024 GOLD COAST CLUB AWARDS:

Club Champion:
Sam Collins
Club Champion Runner-Up: Bodhi Uwland
Club Champion Third Place: Sam Flanders
David Swallow Award: Sam Collins
People First Bank Emerging Player: Mac Andrew
HOSTPLUS Most Professional: Bodhi Uwland
Jarrod Harbrow Community Award: Tom Berry
SIXT Leading Goalkicker: Ben King
StreetSmarts Male Academy Player of the Year: Leo Lombard

Suns B & F Awards already done...

TOP 10

1: Sam Collins (68)
2: Bodhi Uwland (56)
3: Sam Flanders (55)
4: Matt Rowell (54)
5: Noah Anderson (50)
6: Mac Andrew (49)
7: Wil Powell (43)
8: Ben Long (39)
9: Touk Miller (36)
10: Jarrod Witts (35)

How the voting works
Players are assessed on their performance by Gold Coast's match committee, with all players receiving a rating from 0-5 for each game they play. The match committee make a joint decision on each player, meaning the maximum votes a player can receive in any match is five.

2024 GOLD COAST CLUB AWARDS:

Club Champion:
Sam Collins
Club Champion Runner-Up: Bodhi Uwland
Club Champion Third Place: Sam Flanders
David Swallow Award: Sam Collins
People First Bank Emerging Player: Mac Andrew
HOSTPLUS Most Professional: Bodhi Uwland
Jarrod Harbrow Community Award: Tom Berry
SIXT Leading Goalkicker: Ben King
StreetSmarts Male Academy Player of the Year: Leo Lombard
Certainly, a lot of $ value in those 10. Good to have a nonexistent salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Little leverage”?

Love to know what he thought Gold Coast had little leverage when Rankine wanted to come home

A deal will get done for Smith but if he did go to the draft he would end up at Geelong or at least a club he has nominated No way another club drafts him without his consent.

It's refreshing to have a player on the move who is actually out of contract.
To nominate for the draft he has to name his price and go to the club which selects him. If in the preseason draft, you would pick him, pay his wage for one year, then trade him to Geelong or whoever else wants him. Its a free hit.

To nominate for the draft he has to name his price and go to the club which selects him. If in the preseason draft, you would pick him, pay his wage for one year, then trade him to Geelong or whoever else wants him. Its a free hit.
But who is going to pull the trigger? Remember that they have to use a draft pick on him, in what is reputed to be a strong draft. Then there's no guarantee of getting a better pick off Geelong next year.

It could end up being a repeat of the Luke Ball situation. St Kilda didn't like the pick that Collingwood were offering and refused to trade. Ball delisted himself and nominated for the ND. Collingwood then picked him in the ND, using the exact same pick that they were offering St Kilda. Collingwood got the player they wanted, at the price they were offering - St Kilda got nothing.

I get the logic and there would be rumours but I don't think any club would actually do it. Anyway I think they will work out a trade somehow. Player Manager tend to make things happen.

Going to be hard for the Cats to get an early 1st rounder, so surely they will need to give up a future 1st too?

They set the trade value when dealing with West Coast for Kelly
The Tim Kelly trade was unfair if you think about it as a crows fan.

What did the eagles hand over to get Tim Kelly? Pick 14, pick 22 and a Future 1st rounder? Seems like a heavy price at the time.

Patrick Dangerfield spent 8 seasons. Left as a free agent but crows forced the cats to do a trade. Cats handed up a mid 1st, mid 2nd and Dean gore.

This was 2015 trade week.

Had it been a year later with future picks involved, crows easily would of got a mid 1st and a future 1st at a bare minimum

But who is going to pull the trigger? Remember that they have to use a draft pick on him, in what is reputed to be a strong draft. Then there's no guarantee of getting a better pick off Geelong next year.

It could end up being a repeat of the Luke Ball situation. St Kilda didn't like the pick that Collingwood were offering and refused to trade. Ball delisted himself and nominated for the ND. Collingwood then picked him in the ND, using the exact same pick that they were offering St Kilda. Collingwood got the player they wanted, at the price they were offering - St Kilda got nothing.

Have St Kilda and Collingwood done any trades since?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back