Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie is so washed he was interviewed for an article in the Guardian about washed pop stars.

They put on good shows but are years past their hitmaking years (to be fair this is also often the case for the Super Bowl). Even Rihanna hasn't released an album for 8 years.
In June this year I saw The Eagles and Steely Dan in concert in Manchester - absolutely astoundingly good concerts. I saw AC/DC in Amsterdam, and while the lead singing was shite, ANGUS and the rest of the band were phenomenal. Last year at Glastonbury I saw Elton John (for the fifth time - and this was by far his best concert), Guns and Roses, Cat Stevens (incredible). I also saw Paul McCartney's australian tour (mind blowing) and Pink - who has been around for yonks and STILL brilliant. "Washed up" pop stars? Yeah/Nah. Katy Perry was fine. The show was visually pleasing and not offensive sound wise. Not a fan of her newer stuff, but that often happens when you are exposed to newer music.

The only one that isn't living vicariously through their prior fame is Perry and her "come back" was a disaster that made her an internet meme.
Robbie still puts on a great show, or at least he did last time I saw him. Perry was good on the weekend as well.

You're WELL off the mark.

I wonder if the Dockers miss on both Baker and Bolton whether they throw everything at Chad Warner in this trade period?

In June this year I saw The Eagles and Steely Dan in concert in Manchester - absolutely astoundingly good concerts. I saw AC/DC in Amsterdam, and while the lead singing was shite, ANGUS and the rest of the band were phenomenal. Last year at Glastonbury I saw Elton John (for the fifth time - and this was by far his best concert), Guns and Roses, Cat Stevens (incredible). I also saw Paul McCartney's australian tour (mind blowing) and Pink - who has been around for yonks and STILL brilliant. "Washed up" pop stars? Yeah/Nah. Katy Perry was fine. The show was visually pleasing and not offensive sound wise. Not a fan of her newer stuff, but that often happens when you are exposed to newer music.
Nobody is saying they can't put on a good show. But most of those bands haven't had a chart hit in literally decades. They are living on nostalgia and are washed in terms of cultural zeitgeist. If Cat Stevens dropped a new single would anyone under 50 care? My sister is a big Pink fan and she's over 40.

It's actually a big problem for new acts- streaming services preference already popular songs so nostalgia acts dominate.

Nobody is saying they can't put on a good show. But most of those bands haven't had a chart hit in literally decades. They are living on nostalgia and are washed in terms of cultural zeitgeist. If Cat Stevens dropped a new single would anyone under 50 care? My sister is a big Pink fan and she's over 40.

It's actually a big problem for new acts- streaming services preference already popular songs so nostalgia acts dominate.
Nostalgia acts dominate because they are GOOD.

'Everything from my youth is better than things of today'

Edit: without being facetious, nobody has said they aren't good. But, imagine the Beatles trying to break out their new sound in a world where a mathematica algorithm that controlled 99% of radio stations said 'this doesn't sound like Bill Haley and the Comets, which is what history tells us most people like, so we won't play it'.

Last edited:
Not at all. I also saw Coldplay and Foo Fighters. Have tickets to Oasis next year (if they stay together long enough! lol). Paul McCartney played his newest single... it went off! Cat Stevens played some of his new music too. The good ones learn to reinvent themselves. Elton John has done that for DECADES!

Nah... time has weeded out the bad acts from yesteryear. Only the good Nostalgia music remains popular.

Today's music has yet to go through that "stands the test of time" process.

Not at all. I also saw Coldplay and Foo Fighters. Have tickets to Oasis next year (if they stay together long enough! lol). Paul McCartney played his newest single... it went off! Cat Stevens played some of his new music too. The good ones learn to reinvent themselves. Elton John has done that for DECADES!
Coldplay First album 1997, recent charting singles have been from collabs with other more zeitgest artists (BTS, Chainsmokers)
Foo Fighters first album 1994, no charting singles for 15 years
Elton John, Paul McCartney, lol

The point is not that they don't make good music. It's that they are not pop culturally relevant artists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, just because someone doesn't make it with the numbies of today, doesn't make then washed up. Do you realise that these artists earn more from tours than they ever did or would do now recording? Which artist of today or even in the last 10 or so years will be remembered in 50 years time. The McCarneys', et al of the world. Ive seen the Beatles through to McCartney, Eagles, Pink, The "Boss", you name them, I've probably seen them. The only two I've never seen and wished I had were Elvis and Prince. The modern artists wouldn't know how to keep their image alive if it fell on them.

Just on relevance, at the McCartney concert here in Adelaide, there were many three and four generational families I noticed at the concert. This is a common occurance around the world. Tell me another artist who could do that?

Last edited:
Mali is fantastic at it TBH.

He pumps the state up every chance he gets. Theres some dull, uninspiring people in his cabinet and more in opposition, Pete is a breath of fresh air.
I see the merit in getting these events. Fully support.

The influx of dollars to our State is real.

But the PR battle to divert Ramping attention is also important for the ALP.

Ramping can never be fixed. ALP should never have made it a political issue. It is a Health system issue that extends across Public and Private GP system.

Anyway enough politics talk from me....

Robbie still puts on a great show, or at least he did last time I saw him. Perry was good on the weekend as well.

You're WELL off the mark.
Her show was very good.

Played all her hits and limited her current songs no one cares about.

Exactly what the AFL pregame show should be.

Just like KISS and Robbie

Nostalgia sing-along.

Coldplay and Food Fighters are also nostalgia.

No one cares about their new songs.

Who cares, nostalgia sells big time. Bookmark it.
I agree

AFL have nailed it using these nostalgic acts rather than showcasing lesser known Aussie talent.

Nostalgic sing-alongs work for these shows.

Showcase lesser known talent is good for MCG bar sales though....

After watching the replay of the GF, I'd suggest what the Lions did to Sydney was exactly what Nicks was trying to implement in to our game plan in the first month of the season. Which obviously failed spectacularly. We didn't have the midfield or the running defenders who are elite kicks to execute it, compounded by not having the forward connection required when going inside 50, which resulted in the bombing it in long and then watching it rebound out at breakneck speed.
Bringing in the likes of Cumming (allowing Hinge to potentially play through the midfield/wing) will certainly help executing that gamestyle better.

How would it work instead of spending 5 mill on a concert for 15 minutes, with the new chip in ball technology that’s coming give away 1 million to 5 people for the longest kick but you have to be a full club member.
Obviously could be dressed up a bit to make it a must watch event.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back