Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Strongly disagree.
Who is the last club to win a flag without significant F/S or academy help?

Richmond x 3?
WCE 2018?
Don't think they had any significant F?S or academy help..? (correct me if I'm wrong)
Melbourne had what 1 father son pick (Viney) who they got at pick 26? Hardly GAJ and Tom Hawkins level.

St Kilda got Mitch Owens and Windhager (both first choice players for them) as next gen picks...

If Robert Harvey had boys instead of girls, I doubt they'd be sooking so much.

Richmond x 3?
WCE 2018?
Don't think they had any significant F?S or academy help..? (correct me if I'm wrong)
Melbourne had what 1 father son pick (Viney) who they got at pick 26? Hardly GAJ and Tom Hawkins level.

St Kilda got Mitch Owens and Windhager (both first choice players for them) as next gen picks...

If Robert Harvey had boys instead of girls, I doubt they'd be sooking so much.

West Coast had no F/S or Academy picks and neither did Richmond.

Richmond did get a pick 18 priority pick back in 2007 which they used to draft Rance.

Melbourne had second round F/S Jack Viney. They had a few priority picks but they didn't factor in their flag

West Coast had no F/S or Academy picks and neither did Richmond.

Richmond did get a pick 18 priority pick back in 2007 which they used to draft Rance.

Melbourne had second round F/S Jack Viney. They had a few priority picks but they didn't factor in their flag
exactly.
Maybe he should be scalding and lambasting the following for not having boys (or boys worthy of drafting); Stewie Lowe, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey, Aussie Jones, Danny Frawley (RIP), Nicky Winmar, Andrew Thompson, Plugga, etc etc.

They got Mitch Owens as a next gen didn't they? Just because his mum is Japanese...he's pretty handy.

exactly.
Maybe he should be scalding and lambasting the following for not having boys (or boys worthy of drafting); Stewie Lowe, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey, Aussie Jones, Danny Frawley (RIP), Nicky Winmar, Andrew Thompson, Plugga, etc etc.

They got Mitch Owens as a next gen didn't they? Just because his mum is Japanese...he's pretty handy.

They've been a football club for 151 years so arguably have better access to father sons than a bunch of other clubs.

I'm not the biggest fan of the system but it's not like St Kilda have less access to the system than Collingwood or Geelong

Imagine if Olsen came out at our B&F and said we are so disadvantaged and crappy because we never get F/S players and don't have an Academy. How can we possibly rebuild without it?

It's true we don't get those players and it's unfair.

But it's also an embarassing sook and a deflection. No one thinks we haven't been able to rebuild because we lack access to father sons.

And at St Kilda it's laughable to whinge about not getting free draft hits when they have been given equalization advantages like pick 1 and blown it.

No one is going to take that whinging seriously

I actually agree with the St Kilda Chairman. People love the father / son rule for its romanticism but when you get the actual stats its a horrendous read. The odds of getting generational type talent as a father son is like winning the lotto which means its a monumental unfair advantage. We havent played finals in 7 years, we have only had the first pick once and didnt get the best player in the competition and yet Brisbane has played finals every year but 2018 and have walked away with three highly rated father sons, two of which are number one picks and they just won the premiership.

There is just no need for either the academy systems or the father son.

While I agree with a lot of what he is saying, reality is St Kilda are a club who had countless opportunities to win a premiership over the last 30 years, but failed as a result of bad luck / lack of a killer instinct / ultra defensive coaching (hi Ross). They have also made some awful off field decisions, most notably the move to Seaford, and get more financial assistance than any other Victorian club. If we are brutally honest, they shouldn’t exist in a national comp.
Classic case of right place, right time. If you were building a competition from scratch they would not even be considered, but they managed to survive long enough to be gifted a place in the national comp. Their existence in the AFL (along with Footscray and North Melbourne) is the ultimate insult to the 18 SANFL and WAFL clubs who have had their prominence in the game reduced to playing in glorified reserves leagues (or merged away in the case of Torrens and Woodville).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Father Son / Academy selections / cola's are counter intuitive to the equalization system we are trying to achieve.

The fact we have 10 teams in one city also doesn't lend itself to a fair system, not to mention the money isn't good enough in the AFL so we are the only real professional league that has homesickness.

Not sure what the answer is.

I actually agree with the St Kilda Chairman. People love the father / son rule for its romanticism but when you get the actual stats its a horrendous read. The odds of getting generational type talent as a father son is like winning the lotto which means its a monumental unfair advantage. We havent played finals in 7 years, we have only had the first pick once and didnt get the best player in the competition and yet Brisbane has played finals every year but 2018 and have walked away with three highly rated father sons, two of which are number one picks and they just won the premiership.

There is just no need for either the academy systems or the father son.
Would you be complaining if the Jarman or Edwards kids had turned to be decent players?
Unfortunately they didn't for us, but at least Welsh is on the way.
If F/S was abolished, then I bet a fair number of the kids drafted would still seek to be traded to their father's club at the first opportunity and it would lead to F/S being re-established.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back