Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been trying not to think of the other prelim. Swans must win. Simply must, the alternative is sickening.

They played a great game last week and appear to be ready. I’m ok with another Swans v Cats grand final if it comes to that! Time to cast those mental demons aside (the Swans).
No Geelong thank you - don’t really mind any of the other 3 winning the whole thing, although my tip is Brisbane providing they don’t get the yips like they often do - even tonight they were 4.12 at one stage! I just have this feeling that it’s their year.

Straight-sets exits

(Teams to lose a qualifying and semi-final in the same season since 2000)

2001: Port Adelaide (3rd)
2007: West Coast (3rd)
2014: Fremantle (4th)
2014: Geelong (3rd)
2015: Sydney (4th)
2016: Hawthorn (3rd)
2018: Hawthorn (4th)
2019: Brisbane (2nd)
2021: Brisbane (4th)
2022: Melbourne (2nd)
2023: Port Adelaide (3rd)
2023: Melbourne (4th)
2024: GWS (4th)

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Try and spot when the pre finals bye was added.

Straight sets is straight sets imo

Doesn't matter if you get flogged or lose 2 close ones.

2 chances to get to a Prelim blown.

It sucks but that's it.

At least a few teams are doing it now which is good.

Don't have the full list but I'd say majority now have?

Maybe not Adelaide (can't remember them doing it.. or obviously GC... or Freo?)

The top 4 haven't all made the preliminary finals since 2020. Seems to be happening a lot now.

Wonder what hat percentage of game time GWS have been in front the last two weeks. Must be 95%? Only to lose at the death both times.

There's choking, then there's choking.

V Sydney

IMG_5718.jpeg

V Brisbane

IMG_5717.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought Brisbane midfield is more suited to Geelong than gws, who are bigger and dominated for large part.
Yeah I think Geelong will be happy with the result. I'm pretty sure GWS have beat Geelong 2 or 3 times at Alphabet stadium in recent years so they would've been confident playing them at the MCG.

At least when we went out in straight sets it was the year after a flag.

And we did it with a BANG...

3pts to Port with Cuzz imploding, no Fletcher/Kerr and Juddy on one leg

Week 2 Extra Time loss to Collingwood with no Cuzz/Kerr/Judd/Waters and Hanson out early in the game + a Dane Swann masterclass.
(We did give up a 20 something point lead in the 3rd however)

Side note, I don't think we would have gotten up over Geelong that year (we didn't beat them during the regular season), they were insane, 3 games ahead at the top of the ladder with a huge percentage. Two +100pt wins in finals, the humiliation of port in the GF.

Last edited:
I’d love to experience my team choke in a prelim in next 5 years.
Mmm interesting, I don't think we have ever lost a PF?? Seems like we either finish top 4 and storm through to a home PF ('06 we went the long way).
Or we blow out in the semis.

I feel like loosing a close PF would be pretty rough. At least loosing the GF, you can say that we weren't good enough/not our day/got our pants pulled down/biorhythms were off etc.
Loosing the PF, especially a close one, what would have could have happened are all hypotheticals and you would never know.

But yes, chocking in a PF would mean we are back to a winning team, so that would be a plus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back