Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell and Hodge:

The picture gets clearer with every piece

Clarkson being the patriarch who always knows best. Overstepping because he ultimately cares more about winning footy than people’s feelings.

Being seen by confident white kids as somewhere between firm and overbearing.. but when “helping” indigenous kids totally lacking the cultural sensitivity (and probably the care) to understand how his actions would land with them and their loved ones.

The picture gets clearer with every piece

Clarkson being the patriarch who always knows best. Overstepping because he ultimately cares more about winning footy than people’s feelings.

Being seen by confident white kids as somewhere between firm and overbearing.. but when “helping” indigenous kids totally lacking the cultural sensitivity (and probably the care) to understand how his actions would land with them and their loved ones.
Also explains the categorical denials.

100%!!

He thought he was doing the right thing. He’s fundamentally a bit of a psychopath. Empathy only ever judiciously extended as a strategy.. and only when it would help the club win.
It's interesting, in that workplace psychopathy is supposed to lead to poor culture, absenteeism, high staff turnover, low productivity, bullying etc etc.

It seems like the AFL, probably because it's difficult to choose your employer and the club you're drafted by can pretty much hold your career to ransom at the start, it also tends to thrive off infantilising employees in ways that would otherwise be detrimental in a normal workplace.

At least until the cover is blown off the entire thing.

So they want us to excuse the racism by making him out to be a psycho. Ok.

I wonder if any white players are going to come out saying they were told to have an abortion.

Its getting worse by the day, any wonder the indigenous players and families don't want anything to do with the AFL investigation, its just going to be all about defending the white dudes.

So they want us to excuse the racism by making him out to be a psycho. Ok.

I wonder if any white players are going to come out saying they were told to have an abortion.

Its getting worse by the day, any wonder the indigenous players and families don't want anything to do with the AFL investigation, its just going to be all about defending the white dudes.
I don't think Sam Mitchell was abducted and lost his phone for 4 months while his wife was told to move away from her family and support network either.

I actually think Mitchell and Hodge have, perhaps by accident, given more credence to the allegations rather than deflecting them, by demonstrating a pattern of similarly paternalistic and abusive behaviour (regardless of whether Hodge interpreted it as helpful and coming from a place of love).

And it's good to remember that abusers don't abuse everyone they come into contact with. It's often those who are marginalised and powerless who become targets.

If your captain is saying that he, with all his privilege, also experienced some of this stuff on a lower level, then it's reasonable that others would have experienced it too, but without the institutional, cultural armour that Mitchell or Hodge had.

Why isn't there anything about the Equal Opportunity Act or racism or cultural safety on the WorkSafe website?

I found these elsewhere:

It's under the Aboriginal Health section of the Health Department website. The Human Rights website is much better, it cites the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, describing six principles and obligations on employers as a positive duty towards preventing discrimination (as opposed to addressing it after the fact), depending on the size of the business, including a specific section about sporting clubs.

But nothing on the WorkSafe website itself?

I find it telling that none of the then assistant coaches (apart from Fagan) have come out in defense of Clarkson. A lot of big names worked as assistants in that time including Beveridge, Cameron, Ratten and Yze. I can't blame them for not wanting to get involved but it's still interesting that none are defending Clarkson.

I find it telling that none of the then assistant coaches (apart from Fagan) have come out in defense of Clarkson. A lot of big names worked as assistants in that time including Beveridge, Cameron, Ratten and Yze. I can't blame them for not wanting to get involved but it's still interesting that none are defending Clarkson.
Here comes Hardwick ... Basically trying the "he hasn't told his side of the story", someone needs to tell Dimma that Clarko can explain himself in full and in detail at any time. He's not doing that because he's only going to incriminate himself further

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...the opposite as well. None coming out give the allegations any veracity, in which case we could blame them fornot wanting to get involved. It's a double-edged sword. They may not have seen anything at all.

Harwick doesn't get it either.. Says “What we do have to do is work our way through it, come to the other side and hopefully, for the benefit of everyone, we grow and we learn together.”

Why do we need to learn how to treat other people as equals and with respect. It should just be a given. The time for "sorry I won't do it again should be long gone"

Here comes Hardwick ... Basically trying the "he hasn't told his side of the story", someone needs to tell Dimma that Clarko can explain himself in full and in detail at any time. He's not doing that because he's only going to incriminate himself further

It's weird that the best defence these privileged white guys have for Clarkson is that he hasn't had the opportunity to defend himself (even though he has... a couple of times), he is a great guy (but I guess the victims weren't), and is in a really bad place (and the victims aren't, I guess?).

It's weird that the best defence these privileged white guys have for Clarkson is that he hasn't had the opportunity to defend himself (even though he has... a couple of times), he is a great guy (but I guess the victims weren't), and is in a really bad place (and the victims aren't, I guess?).
To be fair that's usually a pretty effective defense if you're a rich white dude

The thought crossed my mind this afternoon that Caro's claim that Mitchell was treated in a similar way somehow perversely pivoted the perspective of Clarko to be one where the seriousness of the allegation is diminished because here's evidence that Clarko treated everyone like that.

It was too weird. I turned my thoughts to other things.

Norf board on Clarkson has entered a new dimension of delusion.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

I don't think Sam Mitchell was abducted and lost his phone for 4 months while his wife was told to move away from her family and support network either.

I actually think Mitchell and Hodge have, perhaps by accident, given more credence to the allegations rather than deflecting them, by demonstrating a pattern of similarly paternalistic and abusive behaviour (regardless of whether Hodge interpreted it as helpful and coming from a place of love).

And it's good to remember that abusers don't abuse everyone they come into contact with. It's often those who are marginalised and powerless who become targets.

If your captain is saying that he, with all his privilege, also experienced some of this stuff on a lower level, then it's reasonable that others would have experienced it too, but without the institutional, cultural armour that Mitchell or Hodge had.
I agree with all this so much. Hodge and Mitchell's stories just make everything that has been alleged that bit more plausible.

The allegations are exactly the same behaviour, just applied to kids who have much less ability to stand up for themselves (particularly because they are early career / fringe), and whose lives, histories and families Clarkson understands less, and judges to be even more of of a threat to the Hawthorne Way.

I'm very confident Clarko is 100% cooked now. No more coach of the century. No more coaching. He won't dig his way out of this. The best he can hope for is divided opinion.. but who would employ him (sure.. lol Norf.. but for how long) and who would play for him? You can't have indigenous players on your list and employ Clarkson again.

I actually feel a lot of rage towards the arrogant, prick. Always hated him for the smug Hird judgements, the king of the world vibe - all while committing bastardry towards under 9's umpiring officials, and dishing up disgusting king hit sucker punches in the Battle of Britain. And now we see the incredible pain he has caused these young men and families.

Dug up this from 2009 which is interesting and on point: Clarkson an 'angry, small man', says Oval victim

The thought crossed my mind this afternoon that Caro's claim that Mitchell was treated in a similar way somehow perversely pivoted the perspective of Clarko to be one where the seriousness of the allegation is diminished because here's evidence that Clarko treated everyone like that.

You could read it like that, but I actually think she was making further allegations and the continual mention of “this person was asked for comment and declined” throughout was interesting. It was definitely checked by lawyers.

I also like that the end of the article quoted part of Clarkson’s statement, but it was the part where he was saying he felt he wouldn’t get a fair hearing because of the stuff being in the media.

Normally a he said/she said type situation is that people (/media) try to discredit the victim, humanise the perpetrator and use a lot of euphemisms in the process. It already started with the Indigenous players from the ABC article, people saying they’re disgruntled former employees or they misunderstood or whatever.

Who is going to discredit Sam Mitchell? His name is on it, he isn’t Indigenous or female or any other minority, he’s not an ex-employee, and most of it looked like it came out of his book, which is published and hasn’t been contested to date. You’d think if it was wrong there would’ve been subject to defamation proceedings before now.

If you can establish the credibility of one victim, you establish a baseline that makes the others more likely to be credible too.

And here I thought the story was about racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back