Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought this was collingwood v port but it turns out I've died and gone to hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad thing is we tried...
Amazing thing is this style of footy was brought to the AFL (?overstatement) by none other than...Freo. Yep, inaugural coach Gerard Neesham championed a back-yourself-run-play on-don't worry about mistakes game plan. He won WAFL premierships with it but didn't have the class in the squad to pull it off in 1995-98. As my dad said at the time, 'At WAFL level you had time to recover from your mistakes but not at AFL'. Other coaches took note of what Neesham brought to the game - he had a water polo background and drew on a range of sports for his coaching insights.

Unfortunately cannot see anyone beating this team. Don't have a big name forward line but are on 83 already. Crazy what fast ball movement does.

With the guys we have in the backline Clark, Chapman, Young, Walker/Wilson we should absolutely be playing this way. Feels like our current gameplan is wasting the talent of our guys.

Amazing thing is this style of footy was brought to the AFL (?overstatement) by none other than...Freo. Yep, inaugural coach Gerard Neesham championed a back-yourself-run-play on-don't worry about mistakes game plan. He won WAFL premierships with it but didn't have the class in the squad to pull it off in 1995-98. As my dad said at the time, 'At WAFL level you had time to recover from your mistakes but not at AFL'. Other coaches took note of what Neesham brought to the game - he had a water polo background and drew on a range of sports for his coaching insights.

I agree in principle but there was still a sort of soccer, water polo way of moving the ball side to side, draw the defense and look for openings.
The way Collingwood are playing is just ignoring the opposition & going straight at goal, trusting the next player in line to be there.

I agree in principle but there was still a sort of soccer, water polo way of moving the ball side to side, draw the defense and look for openings.
The way Collingwood are playing is just ignoring the opposition & going straight at goal, trusting the next player in line to be there.
Good point, but there was still something overall attacking about it. I remember Dennis Cometti's comments, even though we lost he used to talk about 'fun to watch' 'exciting brand of football' etc.

Workrate

Gerard is a great guy and bought some worthwhile new ideas into the AFL but he was hardly some great 'visionary' either and overall was a failure as a coach at the highest level.

Good point, but there was still something overall attacking about it. I remember Dennis Cometti's comments, even though we lost he used to talk about 'fun to watch' 'exciting brand of football' etc.

No doubt he was ahead of his time. I think Clarksons Hawks probably played the ultimate refinement of his style
What we’re seeing from Collingwood is the next evolution of the game. Everyone else is playing catch-up.
Ross Lyon has copied it already.

Unfortunately cannot see anyone beating this team. Don't have a big name forward line but are on 83 already. Crazy what fast ball movement does.

With the guys we have in the backline Clark, Chapman, Young, Walker/Wilson we should absolutely be playing this way. Feels like our current gameplan is wasting the talent of our guys.

We should be playing this way. But to fully execute, we need to have powerful midfielders. Pendlebury, De Goey and Crisp are brutes. All we have is Brodie who plays on limited minutes.

It's not until Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll can assert themselves that we will be a flag contender. Could be many years away.

Pies are also quite old and battle hardened. They have 14 players over 27 in their best 22 (and 10 over 29). We are an incredibly young team in comparison and I have no idea why many people were thining prior to round 1 that we should be contending this year.

This game actually backs up JLos point about game style, you can't just copy a team and hope to beat them at what they're good at, like Port has tried today.
You need to find how to shut their system down.
It's only R2, we'll see if they can keep this up for a whole season while they're the focus of every other team trying to stop their method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back