Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think everyone saying ‘the doctors should have over-ruled’ either haven’t played sport or don’t have a competitive bone in their body.Taylor is right, the players will lie and/or just try to run the injury out.
I certainly haven’t played any professional sport, but I’ve played out games of football and basketball with Syndesmosis/Broken wrist/Broken nose/and several different times I’ve had cracked ribs.
Some of it was ‘ah I’ve done this before she’ll be right’ only to find out it was worse than I thought, some of it was ‘I’ll run this off it’s just a stinger’ and wake up sore as all hell the next day, some of it was I knew I was better than the bloke on the bench and I hate losing, as in despise it, and there was no way I was coming off to tend to an injury that I felt I could manage and still pull my weight. Then wake up and go for an xRay the next morning.
I find this assertion offensive, are you calling someone who doesn't agree with you a coward?! Seriously get ****ed. I have played very competitive sport thank you very much. I've played on with injuries, sometimes I played the next week injured. Sometimes I didn't finish the game or play the next week because it was the right thing to do. It was very obviously not the right thing for Trac to play on no matter what he though. The team doc was weak.

Players will always want to go back on.

But the doctor should not have let him go on as he was in obvious distress.

Broken ribs are one thing but a lacerated spleen is life threatening.

If he had surgery on it the recovery time is month's.

Petracca has said he told them he wanted to go back on but sometimes you have to save them from themselves.

Splenic Rupture

"If this capsule tears or splits, it's called a splenic rupture. If your spleen ruptures, it's the most likely of all of your abdominal organs to cause life-threatening internal bleeding. A ruptured spleen is a medical emergency that requires swift diagnosis and intervention, and sometimes surgery."
Didn’t Jye Amiss suffer the same injury in a wafl match the year after we drafted him ?
He sat out the remainder of the season ?

I find this assertion offensive, are you calling someone who doesn't agree with you a coward?! Seriously get ****ed. I have played very competitive sport thank you very much. I've played on with injuries, sometimes I played the next week injured. Sometimes I didn't finish the game or play the next week because it was the right thing to do. It was very obviously not the right thing for Trac to play on no matter what he though. The team doc was weak.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying it's not as clear cut as it's all the doctor's fault for letting back on the ground. People lie.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying it's not as clear cut as it's all the doctor's fault for letting back on the ground. People lie.
Yes players are competitive beasts who lie to stay on the field but any medico who saw that injury happen then saw Petracca in absolute agony afterwards could not possibly believe him when he said he was right to go. What's the point of having a doctor there if he relies more on what the player says than his own training and knowledge?

Yes players are competitive beasts who lie to stay on the field but any medico who saw that injury happen then saw Petracca in absolute agony afterwards could not possibly believe him when he said he was right to go. What's the point of having a doctor there if he relies more on what the player says than his own training and knowledge?

Just to put it out there, the best doctors might be attached to soccer clubs, and that same principle applied there would have the whole front row off the field after half the tackles laid on them.

Stuff like this is why I don't work on match days with football clubs anymore personally.

I don't think people realise the lack of respect people in sport show during a game to support staff.

After a game or when the shit hits the fan they'll follow every instruction and typically be incredibly respectful.

I'd be pretty certain both the coaching staff and Petracca just straight up bypassed the medical teams recommendations.

I find this assertion offensive, are you calling someone who doesn't agree with you a coward?! Seriously get ****ed. I have played very competitive sport thank you very much. I've played on with injuries, sometimes I played the next week injured. Sometimes I didn't finish the game or play the next week because it was the right thing to do. It was very obviously not the right thing for Trac to play on no matter what he thought. The team doc was weak.
In my experience lower levels of footy take these sorts of injuries way more seriously than AFL clubs.

This is also the game where someone loses their spot in the side for not running back into the oncoming traffic to contest the mark, or protects themselves when contesting a ground ball while someone else runs through them.

They are trained to get up and go again. They expect it of themselves.
exactly - look what's happened to Karl Worner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the game and seeing Petracca being helped from the ground. one has to wonder just how they could possibly have allowed him to go back into the field of play.He could hardly move his left side he was in so much pain.
I guess the question is, who has the last say in if he is well enough to go back on.
Let us just hope he suffered no permenant injury from the incident.

Watching the game and seeing Petracca being helped from the ground. one has to wonder just how they could possibly have allowed him to go back into the field of play.He could hardly move his left side he was in so much pain.
I guess the question is, who has the last say in if he is well enough to go back on.
Let us just hope he suffered no permenant injury from the incident.

The doctor. If the doctor says a player isn't right then no matter what the player and/or coach thinks, the player does not go back on the ground.

Worner lost his spot due to injury, not due to shirking contests
of course, but it's hard to get back into the side once you come back from an injury - they have to find a slot for you, so some players just keep playing with a niggle ore more so they don't end up out of the loop

The idea that the player has any input as to whether they’re fine to go back out is preposterous. It has to be taken out of their hands. Can’t believe the AFL green lighted the Trac scenario

Feel so sorry for him. Was going quite well trying to establish himself. Went hard, fully committed to winning the ball. Through no one's fault he has been out ever since. Sometimes footy isn't fair 😕
I am sure JLo would love to squeeze him back in - it's horrible that you have to wait for an injury to someone else, but that's how well the structure is going at the moment

Petracca's played plenty of games with jabs I reckon and they took it a bit too far.

Goodwin being a sociopath adds to it.

I don't think the Eagles benefit from losing the youngest and only AFL level key defender on their squad after McGovern. Having a gun midfield will help a workman, inexperienced/developing tall defender group from 2026 onwards - but it will still mean they lose way more contests that hurt on the scoreboard than they can overcome.

I don't think the Eagles benefit from losing the youngest and only AFL level key defender on their squad after McGovern. Having a gun midfield will help a workman, inexperienced/developing tall defender group from 2026 onwards - but it will still mean they lose way more contests that hurt on the scoreboard than they can overcome.
But busslinger & DGB though…

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back