Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't work with highly motivated people who already play through significant discomfort. Remember Michael Barlow standing up after breaking his leg? They either pretend it's not as bad because they've walked off knocks before or they pretend it doesn't hurt enough so they can get back out there.

The players lie, you can't trust their reactions or what they say. Players want to play.

Or the adrenaline masks the pain/discomfort. Lots of factors at play which could lead to a player thinking they’re okay to continue.

Turn it up its a open shut case of why you don't play on with a rib injury with obvious potential to include a fracture. It's the doctors job to overrule the code when required.
I agree but Nigel Lappin played with fracture ribs in the grandfinal and ended up puncturing a lung during the game. Everybody knew including the doctors. the do no harm code seems to be thrown out of the window in sports medicine. Look at cycling for instance.

What's the go with Jefferson from Melbourne, their forward line has been crap for years but they refuse to play their 1st round kpf

Anyone watch vfl here?

Last edited:
What's the go with Jefferson from Melbourne, their forward line has been crap for 1 years but they refuse to play their 1st round kpf

Anyone watch vfl here?
Haven't watched any but his stats say 33 marks and 18 goals 13 behinds in 10 games. Not exactly kicking the door down but hard to know without watching. Could just be a slow burn.

Haven't watched any but his stats say 33 marks and 18 goals 13 behinds in 10 games. Not exactly kicking the door down but hard to know without watching. Could just be a slow burn.

Harrison Petty had three games in a row of something like less than 8 possessions.

They could wheel Petracca out 4 minutes post surgery and he’d do more than that.

Jefferson must be an enormous spud

That is mind blowing that they even contemplated putting him back on the field. Regardless if they knew - or didn’t know - the extent of the damage, he was clearly in severe pain and distress. No doubt he would have said he’s right to go, but the club medicos should have over ruled. Gobsmacking.
Players will always want to go back on.

But the doctor should not have let him go on as he was in obvious distress.

Broken ribs are one thing but a lacerated spleen is life threatening.

If he had surgery on it the recovery time is month's.

Petracca has said he told them he wanted to go back on but sometimes you have to save them from themselves.

Splenic Rupture

"If this capsule tears or splits, it's called a splenic rupture. If your spleen ruptures, it's the most likely of all of your abdominal organs to cause life-threatening internal bleeding. A ruptured spleen is a medical emergency that requires swift diagnosis and intervention, and sometimes surgery."

Ive been to the majority of Freo games at the G since and not one has come close to the conditions on GF day 2013. The first quarter especially the wind was intense and sitting behind fyfes kicks at the other end of the ground didnt give him much chance of kicking them at the time.
Dockery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turn it up its an open shut case of why you don't play on with a rib injury with obvious potential to include a fracture. It's the doctors job to overrule the code when required.
Melbourne kept playing Steven May a few weeks ago when he clearly had broken ribs

Seemed pretty unprofessional to me

Harrison Petty had three games in a row of something like less than 8 possessions.

They could wheel Petracca out 4 minutes post surgery and he’d do more than that.

Jefferson must be an enormous spud

He’s a second year KPF…

Someone like Harry McKay barely played at that stage either.

Not every good KPF is Jye Amiss in their second year.

Let’s just wait and see on Jefferson.

He’s a second year KPF…

Someone like Harry McKay barely played at that stage either.

Not every good KPF is Jye Amiss in their second year.

Let’s just wait and see on Jefferson.
Harry had stress fractures early in his career

The reason I ask about Jefferson is he hasn't had any injury issues while Dees are screaming out for forwards

I think everyone saying ‘the doctors should have over-ruled’ either haven’t played sport or don’t have a competitive bone in their body. Taylor is right, the players will lie and/or just try to run the injury out.
I certainly haven’t played any professional sport, but I’ve played out games of football and basketball with Syndesmosis/Broken wrist/Broken nose/and several different times I’ve had cracked ribs.
Some of it was ‘ah I’ve done this before she’ll be right’ only to find out it was worse than I thought, some of it was ‘I’ll run this off it’s just a stinger’ and wake up sore as all hell the next day, some of it was I knew I was better than the bloke on the bench and I hate losing, as in despise it, and there was no way I was coming off to tend to an injury that I felt I could manage and still pull my weight. Then wake up and go for an xRay the next morning.
The things you do when you’re a highly competitive young man playing sport 🤷‍♂️ this stuff happens every weekend and every night in every league of every sport around the country, and the AFL is certainly more high stakes than the country leagues I’ve been a part of.
I have absolutely zero doubt that a player like Petracca would have said ‘yeah nah doesn’t feel too bad Doc I’ll be right to run it off’
Later on when it became apparent that he couldn’t run it off they pull him and sent him to hospital.
Just my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ive been to the majority of Freo games at the G since and not one has come close to the conditions on GF day 2013. The first quarter especially the wind was intense and sitting behind fyfes kicks at the other end of the ground didnt give him much chance of kicking them at the time.

Yeah. Something not often brought up. I was behind one of the kicks that went out of bounds and it actually started on line with the goals and was blown sideways.

There were multiple reasons why we didn't play well in the GF and the ground conditions were a factor. I was there and the wind was strong and swirling around. It was raining overnight and the morning before the game. I think a quarter of the team had played either 0,1 or 2 games at the MCG in their life. I remember seing a replay (on the big screen?) of Tendai's foot slipping about 20cm when he kicked our first goal.
There were patches of rain on the day too - I got damp from light showers blowing into the stands. Crappy conditions. Better conditions and it would’ve been a much happier story IMO

Can't vouch for it's authenticity but did grab this off the Melbourne board...

View attachment 2016898
Reading between the lines as someone who manages these sort of injuries, I’d bet Petracca had a less invasive procedure to stop bleeding, angioembolisation, basically squirting something in that makes the blood vessel clot from inside the vessel using imaging. Someone who’s had the procedure described in that post, an emergency laparotomy, isn’t in hospital for observation as the club said, they’re in intensive care and the question is if they play again, not if they return that same season.

Still unusual though; in the majority of cases I’ve seen (in major trauma centres), these injuries are observed without intervention, so either it was pretty substantial or embolisation allows an earlier return to play. Hope Petracca recovers well!

And then Michael Walters rocks up in the 3rd quarter and he rides the wind like he owns it.

Both of his kicks for goal were perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back