Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It was mentioned a bit higher up but is a hundred point loss the equivalent to Al getting fifty put on you in the nrl? Basically you can’t win it if that happens during the year?
That's how I read it. The 50 point thing is far more spoken about in the NRL isn't it.

I think I read somewhere last night that the biggest ever loss by an eventual premier is 92 points by Port to North in 2004. That loss came in Round 8, so a fair way from finals.

That's how I read it. The 50 point thing is far more spoken about in the NRL isn't it.

I think I read somewhere last night that the biggest ever loss by an eventual premier is 92 points by Port to North in 2004. That loss came in Round 8, so a fair way from finals.

So that interesting because we put Lort out for the year and they just out Sydney out. To quote George Lucas: it’s like poetry it rhymes.

That's the 3rd biggest loss by an eventual premier. Carlton got beaten by 100 in 1945, Essendon got beaten by 95 points in 1949, then Port on 92

No team who loses like the Swans did last night this close to finals is going to recover to win the flag IMO.

Swans out in straight sets... although they could mathematically still miss top 4 which would be astounding after their start to the season.

No team who loses like the Swans did last night this close to finals is going to recover to win the flag IMO.

Swans out in straight sets... although they could mathematically still miss top 4 which would be astounding after their start to the season.
Well it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

That's the 3rd biggest loss by an eventual premier. Carlton got beaten by 100 in 1945, Essendon got beaten by 95 points in 1949, then Port on 92
It might be even more enlightening to know what time of the season those losses came, and what is the biggest loss by a premiership team in the last 4-5 weeks before finals.

It might be even more enlightening to know what time of the season those losses came, and what is the biggest loss by a premiership team in the last 4-5 weeks before finals.
Those 3 losses occured in Rd. 3 [Blues), Rd. 11 (Dons), and Rd. 8 (Port).

Biggest losses in the last 4-5 weeks by the eventual premier would be:
1. Hawks losing by 87 to Dons in Round 18 (1986)
2. Pies losing by 83 points to Hawks in Round 20 (1990)
3. Blues losing by 77 to Pies in Round 19 (1970)

So pies are the only team in the AFL era to do it but they didn't lose by over 100.

Honestly who knows, I won't be making any guarantees with how dramatically teams forms have changed within the last few weeks. It's almost entirely turned on it's head across the whole comp within the last month and a lot can change in a few weeks. Sydney still have time, they have 3 games to rediscover themselves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in 1983 Fitzroy beat North by 130.North were on top at the time and finished top. Unfortunately both Fitzroy and North went out in straight sets.

Lackluster game Hawks v Giants. Not just because of the jumper clash. Giants bringing the Hawks back to the pack but can’t score. I think the hawks will kick away in the second half.
Massive possibility that Giants could miss finals if they don't win today, upcoming matches for them:

R22: Lions (A) GABBA
R23: Dockers (H) Sydney Showgrounds
R24: Bulldogs (A) Ballarat

Even though the Hawks beat us this year as well, would rather face them in finals than the Giants.

Honestly. Gunston 4 goals for the Hawks.
And those tossers the Giants could have pretty well shut the door on Collingwood, but what do they do, but leave it ajar

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back