Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks so much. So yes, the very first clause in that rule, 20.2(a). That is hardly ever interpreted correctly when the ball carrier is in their defensive 50. Seems pretty plain and clear to me.
Grasshopper17 nothing about the AFL or rules of the game are "clear". Lots of grey everywhere.

The way i interpret the rule part that you are interested in 20.2(a) "a direct line from The Mark to the center of their Goal Line"
I interpret the 3 parts of that rule to depend on where the ball is located on or off the playing surface, or where a free is awarded.

The first part
20.2 DISPOSAL FROM BEHIND THE MARK
This rule has three sections a, b, c.
I believe the reason it is in three parts depends on where the ball is located on the ground.
I also believe (a) may have been the original "kicking for goal" rule but that is an assumption on my part
The rule certainly does not state this. But makes sense to me when you take into consideration all the parts of rule 20
from 20.1 through to 20.5.

For a while now they have had a separate Kicking for Goal rule 20.5 since two changes were made.
An after the siren kick and marking on the goal square line where the player gets to kick directly in front & not placed on an angle. The wording of this rule 20.5 is very close to the wording of 20.2 (a)

(a) i would say this is within goal scoring range but may not necessarily end up a shot on goal by the player.
The key thing here is "directed by the umpire"
If the umpire thinks the player may be having a shot on goal he will direct and line the player up accordingly to the center of the goal. The umpire does the same in the Kicking for Goal rule 20.5

(b) I take this as any area outside (a) so around and outside the forward 50-meter mark but not within the defensive 9-meter protected area 20.4 diagram. Basically, the majority of the playing surface

(c) "from beyond the Goal Line, Behind Line or Boundary Line, in which case Law 20.3 or 20.4 shall apply.
So, anything from these areas of the ground you have to apply rule 20.3 disposal from out of bounds and 20.4 disposal by a defending player- within nine meters. That being the blue (c) area on my image below.

For me it also makes sense after watching the game over the years.

My slack image below is the way i interpret 20.2 a, b, c.
1723543024431.png

Who are the others?
Petty for starts. But now they'll have to give him away.

3 or 4 others.

I'm not the suppository of trade gossip.

I just spread it.

They'll do whatever it takes to keep Trac happy, expecting a statement from him over the next few weeks that he's totally committed. But he's not too happy right now.

We did pre empt this. NB is contracted I believe , but he's done with the Dees.

Petty for starts. But now they'll have to give him away.

3 or 4 others.

I'm not the suppository of trade gossip.

I just spread it.

They'll do whatever it takes to keep Trac happy, expecting a statement from him over the next few weeks that he's totally committed. But he's not too happy right now.

We did pre empt this. NB is contracted I believe , but he's done with the Dees.

This is great news, it really is.

Happy Celebration GIF by SuccessionHBO

Not really following what's happening league wide at the moment. Has N-B put in a trade request before the season has finished?
Reportedly, yes.

His request is not related to any concerns about the club’s direction but based on the new father’s desire to be closer to family.
This masthead confirmed with two industry sources, who wanted to remain anonymous, that the 28-year-old, who has two years remaining on his contract, had made the request several weeks ago.

Reportedly, yes.
The Dees are in a bit of a spot with NB. They refused to let Petty go even though he was desperate to do so and they were offered the world . What will they want for NB ? And how do they explain it away to the fans if they take a lot less . And what happens with Petty whose heart is in SA ?

Interesting times for the Dees.

So which SA club is interested, factoring the Lukosius to Adelaide rumours.
Crows know of his interest, but, Port is more interested in draft picks + free agents. Crows would have more players in the role NB plays whether Port could get it done if Houston goes to Melbourne. Mixed bag really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dees are in a bit of a spot with NB. They refused to let Petty go even though he was desperate to do so and they were offered the world . What will they want for NB ? And how do they explain it away to the fans if they take a lot less . And what happens with Petty whose heart is in SA ?

Interesting times for the Dees.
At least they’ve got Schache.

One thing I was interested in.

Is Tomlinson any good ?

He's big and plays in the backline . Been squeezed out at the Dees, so he probably struggles.
No he's not.

His best position is as a tall wing but he doesn't have great disposal. I always thought he'd be a decent KPD at the Giants but he doesn't have the closing speed or awareness to fulfill the role to a decent level in the end.

I wonder how much of this rumoured demons exodus is just people trying to get away from Oliver or if his behaviour this year was just the final straw

From a distance and a neutral disengaged perspective, I don't think Melbourne have a one player rotten apple issue. If that was the case just throw the rotten apple and problem fixed. It appears ingrained cultural problem from the top down and I mean from Board,CEO down. Think our situation (very likely worse) before Board change and Swannie arrived.

God I hope we never go back there ever again.

I'm not sure if ANB is injured or not, but do Melbourne freeze him out of the side and the club now that he wants out?

I know if this happened publicly even with two rounds to go and our season was over, I wouldn't want to be giving games to a player who no longer wants to be there over say a kid who you could get some games into or look at others you're still deciding on. On top of that, Melbourne should command a decent pick for ANB given he's in career best form, so why risk an injury such an ACL which would diminish that value.

I'm not sure if ANB is injured or not, but do Melbourne freeze him out of the side and the club now that he wants out?
He isn't injured at the moment. He also wants to go back to SA so badly that he'd ask for a trade with several games to go in the season. You'd probably get a better trade from a player constantly in your best 22 than a fringe player who isn't going to be playing games for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back