Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressure on the next kick might be the key to break this one down. If Hawks are allowed to mark and opposition just tries to corrall them, it'll play right into their hands. Pressure should be through the roof on the immediate next target. Even if they manage to hit it, maintain the same level of pressure on every next kick and the chain will break eventually. Needs a lot of discipline across the board, if one slacks off then they'll keep playing through that free player.

We'll struggle as there is lot of ill-disciplined players around the middle and forward of center for us. They tend to cheat by sneaking forward and those attempts to cheat will be exploited by Hawks style of play. We are not meticulous across the ground yet and so far have been staying afloat with the talent in our list.
Yeah their skills are exceptional, which they need to be to be able to hit a lot of these kicks.

I think if I were to have a go at this, it would be

(1) clog up the corridor. We know they'll go via the cape: let them. It's still the longest way home.

(2) maximum pressure on the ball carrier while it's in chaos. The best way (possibly the only way) of breaking up this transition is to do so at the source.

(3) then as soon as it breaks out one way, those 2-3 defenders marking those players on the extremities of the field have to do everything they can to slow them down. Even if they're marking the ball, see if you can clumsily lunge over the top, giving away a free kick "in the marking contest". Hopefully this slows them down enough to give us a few seconds for...

(4) Everyone else has to bolt back inside 50. Just make it really hard for them to find that final target. Double team (one in front, one behind) the likely marking targets where possible. I'd prefer a zone but they might be able to kick through that too, even inside forward 50. We'd probably need to be more accountable than that. It's a bit of a basketball defence here. You're essentially conceding the middle third of the field, hoping to force a turnover when they get into shooting range.

(5) If you're going to concede a mark and a shot at goal, do so as close to the boundary as possible.

That's my rough back of an envelope thoughts. But maybe some other coach will come up with something better. In the meantime, I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the show 🙂

Yeah their skills are exceptional, which they need to be to be able to hit a lot of these kicks.

I think if I were to have a go at this, it would be

(1) clog up the corridor. We know they'll go via the cape: let them. It's still the longest way home.

(2) maximum pressure on the ball carrier while it's in chaos. The best way (possibly the only way) of breaking up this transition is to do so at the source.

(3) then as soon as it breaks out one way, those 2-3 defenders marking those players on the extremities of the field have to do everything they can to slow them down. Even if they're marking the ball, see if you can clumsily lunge over the top, giving away a free kick "in the marking contest". Hopefully this slows them down enough to give us a few seconds for...

(4) Everyone else has to bolt back inside 50. Just make it really hard for them to find that final target. Double team (one in front, one behind) the likely marking targets where possible. I'd prefer a zone but they might be able to kick through that too, even inside forward 50. We'd probably need to be more accountable than that. It's a bit of a basketball defence here. You're essentially conceding the middle third of the field, hoping to force a turnover when they get into shooting range.

(5) If you're going to concede a mark and a shot at goal, do so as close to the boundary as possible.

That's my rough back of an envelope thoughts. But maybe some other coach will come up with something better. In the meantime, I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the show 🙂

They should also do the reverse of what Hawks are doing to others.

As an example : If Gunston wants to be the negating forward on Andrews - ok, let's see what you can do Gunners, we are going to use Andrews as the rebounding half back. If Andrews dash off to wing every time there is a kick out and become the tall mismatch to kick to, Gunston is forced to follow him up the ground. it'll start disrupting their structure a bit.

We are expected to keep Andrews at the back to control the flow so let's do the complete opposite and let him lead up to the wing or corridor and be a tall marking option amongst much shorter midfield opponents. Let's do the unexpected.

As an example : If Gunston wants to be the negating forward on Andrews - ok, let's see what you can do Gunners, we are going to use Andrews as the rebounding half back. If Andrews dash off to wing every time there is a kick out and become the tall mismatch to kick to, Gunston is forced to follow him up the ground. it'll start disrupting their structure a bit.

We are expected to keep Andrews at the back to control the flow so let's do the complete opposite and let him lead up to the wing or corridor and be a tall marking option amongst much shorter midfield opponents. Let's do the unexpected.
Harris has done that a few times over the last month or so(more than before?), but as you suggest not every time.

Not sure if it's something he has been doing for a while or I have just started noticing it.

Andrews quite often does present as a marking target up on the wing. It's a smart tactic to tell the truth; if we are going to be exposed by a fast turnover, Andrews with his relative lack of pace is going to be exposed. Better to have quicker players scrambling in our defensive 50. Sure they might be shorter, but on a fast break closing speed is more important than height.

To you first point, this is the great dilemma of the role of the defensive forward. For 120 years of footy (I assume) the forward has dictated positioning, allowing the defenders to dictate the matchups. Now we are seeing forwards start to dictate matchups, which means they have less say (not no say, less say) into positioning.

This comes back to the Giants game. This is how you get a situation where you have a 2 on 2 ring a ring a Rosie in the goal square. As a forward group you don't really want 2 of your key forwards occupying the same space.

But the Giants are happy to roll with that because (a) they REALLY want to get their desired matchups and (b) they have a small forward group better equipped than most to take advantage of the space further afield created by having those 2 key forwards congregate together, T Greene chief among them.

I think we're really gonna need Jack Payne. A FIT Jack Payne.

Andrews quite often does present as a marking target up on the wing. It's a smart tactic to tell the truth; if we are going to be exposed by a fast turnover, Andrews with his relative lack of pace is going to be exposed. Better to have quicker players scrambling in our defensive 50. Sure they might be shorter, but on a fast break closing speed is more important than height.

To you first point, this is the great dilemma of the role of the defensive forward. For 120 years of footy (I assume) the forward has dictated positioning, allowing the defenders to dictate the matchups. Now we are seeing forwards start to dictate matchups, which means they have less say (not no say, less say) into positioning.

This comes back to the Giants game. This is how you get a situation where you have a 2 on 2 ring a ring a Rosie in the goal square. As a forward group you don't really want 2 of your key forwards occupying the same space.

But the Giants are happy to roll with that because (a) they REALLY want to get their desired matchups and (b) they have a small forward group better equipped than most to take advantage of the space further afield created by having those 2 key forwards congregate together, T Greene chief among them.

I think we're really gonna need Jack Payne. A FIT Jack Payne.
We should all send good vibes the way of Jack Payne's feet. 🙏:praying:

lol; no doubt some sensitive folks will find this in poor taste but hasn’t taken long for the memes

The sad thing is there are corrupt politicians and business men and women who have defrauded the public and r*ped and pillaged land that belonged to Indigenous people but don’t even have to face a day in court let alone have to face justice.

Yet this bloke will have the book thrown at him and people will laugh.

Andrews should take a leaf out of Leppas book.I remember watching him on Wayne Carey.Everytime the ball looked like going forward Leppa took off.I reckon he had more shots at goal than Carey.

The sad thing is there are corrupt politicians and business men and women who have defrauded the public and r*ped and pillaged land that belonged to Indigenous people but don’t even have to face a day in court let alone have to face justice.

Yet this bloke will have the book thrown at him and people will laugh.
Not condoning actions of these business men and women you refer, but are you saying its ok to commit burglary and criminal damage which Pickett is charged or youths should be left to commit whatever crime they like irrespective of race? Should Sam Fisher have just been allowed to peddle his meth withour reprise? Why make this about race or are you saying but for Captain Cook, Australia would to this day remain unhabitable from the rest of the world therefore allowing indigenous people to do as they please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst Friday night game of the year. Unbelievable that the VFL delay announcing this rounds times just to come up with this as the prime time game...

Even 5 weeks ago when both teams were alive for finals this wouldn't have been in the top 4 match ups worthy of a Friday night game.

Just a blatant/overt Victoria centric decision.

Worst Friday night game of the year. Unbelievable that the VFL delay announcing this rounds times just to come up with this as the prime time game...

Even 5 weeks ago when both teams were alive for finals this wouldn't have been in the top 4 match ups worthy of a Friday night game.

Just a blatant/overt Victoria centric decision.
Dwayne Russell on SEN today basically said he’ll be barracking for Victorian teams in the finals because he wants to see at least 1 Vic team in the PF’s. I get that his audience is Victorian (where i am), but i would love to see a finals series without any of the big-4 Melbourne teams.

Dwayne Russell on SEN today basically said he’ll be barracking for Victorian teams in the finals because he wants to see at least 1 Vic team in the PF’s. I get that his audience is Victorian (where i am), but i would love to see a finals series without any of the big-4 Melbourne teams.
Way overdue for a all interstate Grand Final.

Commentary Team: "Nick Daicos is the greatest player to have ever lived".
Insert an episode from the Twilight Zone here ... a pampered darling of the 2020's by the name Nick finds himself on a suburban VFL ground playing for the Pies in the 1980's. Buised, battered and shellshocked from the treatment he received and to which he was mentally, constitutionally, and socially utterly un-prepared for he finally finds himself back on the field in 2024. A commentator comes to him, microphone in hand, and says 'So how does it feel to be the greatest player who ever lived?' and [insert choose your own adventure options here]

A] is shocked when Nick collapses to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably

B] is shocked when he just stands there with a 1000 yard stare until someone puts a sherrin into his hands to bring him back into focus and he takes one look at it, drops it and screams 'noooo it hurts'

C] is shocked when a look of mature determination comes over his countenance and he replies 'I am not even worthy to tie the boot laces of the legends who trod this grass before me'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back