Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So is it just me, or does this feel like the longest wait for a game of football ever? Bring on the wildcard round… Sure it’s a money grab from the AFL and teams finishing in the bottom half of the ladder don’t deserve to play finals, but if it eliminates the pre-finals bye weekend i’m all for it!
When we go to a 20 team comp, we should have a 20 game regular season. Play every team once (19 games) plus your rival (Gold Coast in our case) a 2nd time. Have a 21st game in gather round if you want, whatever. Less meaningless home and away matches at the end of the season hopefully.

Then you have a 12 team, 20 match, 6 week finals system. I started doing this as a bit of a laugh but then I thought bugger it, I'll post it so others can scorn or ridicule it also.

I decided double chances weren't good enough any more so it features triple chances as well!

Yes, it's been a long couple of weeks hey 🥱💤

Week 1
Tier 1 (triple chances)
A: 1st v 4th
B: 2nd v 3rd

Tier 2 (double chances)
C: 5th v 8th
D: 6th v 7th

Tier 3 (losers eliminated)
E: 9th v 12th
F: 10th v 11th

Week 2
The Immunity Immolator
I don't even know what Immolator means but it sounded fancy and I wanted another word that started with i.

Anyway this is

G: Winner A v Winner B

Essentially this is the battle for top seed midway through the finals series. It doesn't really change anything, but I'd make it so the winner gets home ground advantage right the way through the rest of the finals. So even if they lost their Qualifying Final, if they win through to a Prelim they still get to host it.

You don't necessarily need this match. You can give both teams a week off here. But I thought it would be fun for sh!ts and giggles, and would give the AFL another big finals match to fill the coffers.

Qualifying Semi Finals (double chances)
H: Loser A v Winner C
I: Loser B v Winner D

Elimination Semi Finals (losers eliminated)
J: Loser C v Winner E
K: Loser D v Winner F

Week 3
This is where it becomes a bit more like our current finals system.

Qualifying Finals (double chances + week off)
L: Winner G v Winner I
M: Loser G v Winner H

Elimination Finals (losers eliminated)
N: Loser H v Winner K
O: Loser I v Winner J

Week 4 - Semi Finals (losers eliminated)
P: Loser L v Winner N
Q: Loser M v Winner O

Week 5 - Preliminary Finals (losers eliminated)
R: Winner L v Winner Q
S: Winner M v Winner P

Week 6 - Grand Final
T: Winner R v Winner S

All up, the result is a 200 or 210 match regular season (right now we're at 207), plus a 20 match finals series (9 currently), which despite the reduction in actual rounds is a considerable increase in the number of matches, and hopefully the proportion of meaningful matches, while also reducing the likelihood of teams tanking for draft picks at the end of the season.

Importantly the season overall would be the same length as it is currently.

I don't know, just a brain fart really. If it prompts other, better ideas, be my guest.

When we go to a 20 team comp, we should have a 20 game regular season. Play every team once (19 games) plus your rival (Gold Coast in our case) a 2nd time. Have a 21st game in gather round if you want, whatever. Less meaningless home and away matches at the end of the season hopefully.

Then you have a 12 team, 20 match, 6 week finals system. I started doing this as a bit of a laugh but then I thought bugger it, I'll post it so others can scorn or ridicule it also.

I decided double chances weren't good enough any more so it features triple chances as well!

Yes, it's been a long couple of weeks hey 🥱💤

Week 1
Tier 1 (triple chances)
A: 1st v 4th
B: 2nd v 3rd

Tier 2 (double chances)
C: 5th v 8th
D: 6th v 7th

Tier 3 (losers eliminated)
E: 9th v 12th
F: 10th v 11th

Week 2
The Immunity Immolator
I don't even know what Immolator means but it sounded fancy and I wanted another word that started with i.

Anyway this is

G: Winner A v Winner B

Essentially this is the battle for top seed midway through the finals series. It doesn't really change anything, but I'd make it so the winner gets home ground advantage right the way through the rest of the finals. So even if they lost their Qualifying Final, if they win through to a Prelim they still get to host it.

You don't necessarily need this match. You can give both teams a week off here. But I thought it would be fun for sh!ts and giggles, and would give the AFL another big finals match to fill the coffers.

Qualifying Semi Finals (double chances)
H: Loser A v Winner C
I: Loser B v Winner D

Elimination Semi Finals (losers eliminated)
J: Loser C v Winner E
K: Loser D v Winner F

Week 3
This is where it becomes a bit more like our current finals system.

Qualifying Finals (double chances + week off)
L: Winner G v Winner I
M: Loser G v Winner H

Elimination Finals (losers eliminated)
N: Loser H v Winner K
O: Loser I v Winner J

Week 4 - Semi Finals (losers eliminated)
P: Loser L v Winner N
Q: Loser M v Winner O

Week 5 - Preliminary Finals (losers eliminated)
R: Winner L v Winner Q
S: Winner M v Winner P

Week 6 - Grand Final
T: Winner R v Winner S

All up, the result is a 200 or 210 match regular season (right now we're at 207), plus a 20 match finals series (9 currently), which despite the reduction in actual rounds is a considerable increase in the number of matches, and hopefully the proportion of meaningful matches, while also reducing the likelihood of teams tanking for draft picks at the end of the season.

Importantly the season overall would be the same length as it is currently.

I don't know, just a brain fart really. If it prompts other, better ideas, be my guest.

A long six weeks for Essendon supporters.

Of the 3 darlings of the Vic media 2 are now thankfully finished for the year. Hopefully Cripps is the third one tonight.
I got so sick of hearing about ‘the great man’ Bontempelli last night I had to turn off the audio.
And when he thoroughly underperformed the excuses came thick and fast, he must be unwell blah blah. If Neale has a bad game he gets blasted by the media but these guys are treated so differently it is mind blowing.

Hawks playing good footy.
I still thing Port will be hard to beat next week. In the minority on this one.
They bounced back after we thrashed them and can see a big improvement coming.
Beat the Hawks earlier in the year so they know they have a big chance.
Hawks go in favorites though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey is a Nick Maxwell level bad all australian

This may come back to bite me but I reckon the Swans 3 key forwards are not far off being spuds
McDonald still has time but Amartey is best beating up on mismatches and McLean is a ruckman hidden up front.

Prefer to play the Swans if we beat Carlton. GWS' pressure is another level and we are mentally not strong enough to combat it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back