Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
God whats going on.

A few questions...Are all players tested equally? How many times on average would a player expect to best tested per year? Are they routinely conducted or conducted at random?

Hmm. Tony Sheahan usually has good info.

A nervous wait.

Yes, I hope I didn't tempt fate by posting it in the "non-Lions" thread.

The main board thread is running rampant with rumours. Every flog having his opinion, most seeming to say its Carlton or St
Kilda players

I was also under the impression the B sample is taken at the same time......but why take so long after testing the A sample, to test the B? Another 2 weeks?

...dear god, I hope Leppa is absolutely pounding the message to our boys about taking drugs of ANY kind......no second chances, OUT!

Sample A goes off for testing. Positive result reported back. They don't even start the process for Sample B to be testing until this point. The labs are also testing from god knows how many other athletes - track and field, swimmers, NRL, A-League, netball, etc etc etc. I'd suggest their capacity is probably sufficiently booked up that (including shipping time and actual processing time) that's how long it's going to take.

For the B sample the player and their legal representative have the right to be present for its testing, as that can take a bit of time to organise (the lab is in Sydney as well) and they are allowed up to a month to get it done.

However the timing on the A sample is way too long from what I hear (although its come before the season starts so I guess its ok). People who do this work in Melbourne tell me turn around on these tests (which they get from all over the country as well) is 72 hours. Up to a week happens but is considered bad practice. I also found out that if the A is positive they test it again to confirm before they inform people of the result.

I think the reality that the AFL is not a clean sport is starting to sink in. Really disappointing.

Think a lot of people were naive to it myself included to an extent. But in the cut throat, performance driven environment...with 800 odd players (of which numerous are coming and going year by year)...no one could reasonably expect that this kind of stuff doesn't go on.

Think a lot of people were naive to it myself included to an extent. But in the cut throat, performance driven environment...with 800 odd players (of which numerous are coming and going year by year)...no one could reasonably expect that this kind of stuff doesn't go on.
It certainly is naive but I think it is more an ideal that we hold as sports fans. Unfortunately it appears that some may have been getting away with it for some time, to me anyway.

It certainly is naive but I think it is more an ideal that we hold as sports fans. Unfortunately it appears that some may have been getting away with it for some time, to me anyway.

I don't remember any players in modern times, before the Ess saga, being done for this kind of activity and suddenly within the past 2 years or so we've seen numerous players caught out.

Certainly is an issue for the AFL. It will be helped but not resolved if the AFL bring out practical new measures to prevent such instances occurring. But unfortunately its an issue they'll have to work on essentially all the time.

Tom Bells name is getting dragged through a lot of mud as one of the potential other players. Then the Saints are getting mentioned a lot. Sadly I won't be surprised if we arent immune from this.

Edit: maybe I shouldnt have said his name but it is being dragged out everywhere at the moment and not sure if its just for him having lived with the other guys before or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely firming to be a Blue and a Saint. Not going to name names on a public board though.

Pretty easy to figure it out there are what 2 players from QLD on both those lists respectively? Wild guess would be Bell and Hickey thats just off the top of my head though. Might actually substantiate the Rec drug rumours there all of similar ages.

Are these unnamed players being mentioned in connection with the two from Collingwood or in isolation? Lets hope we're far enough north to be immune.

In connection. Roomies.

I would find it incredible that 4 housemates were on the gear.
To be using illegal substances that could be career ending is not something you'd share like a joint or party pills.
I would be inclined to think one or 2 have been unwitting in consuming it.

I would find it incredible that 4 housemates were on the gear.
To be using illegal substances that could be career ending is not something you'd share like a joint or party pills.
I would be inclined to think one or 2 have been unwitting in consuming it.
I tend to think the recreational drug explanation is most likely. Mates share a few lines of coke. They don't know it contains the PED in question. All test positive.

I tend to think the recreational drug explanation is most likely. Mates share a few lines of coke. They don't know it contains the PED in question. All test positive.
I'm not at all surprised by this. A few young guys use something they've heard about from other players/people at the gym/whatever. They don't know what they're doing, they test positive. Maybe they were pushing it a bit too far. It might've just been bad luck, but most players using similar things would be getting away with it because they're smarter or have had better advice.
At some point, we're going to have to accept that we can't keep seeing the kind of freakish athleticism we've come to expect week in week out for an entire season and continue to believe that the human body is capable of that without some assistance.

Robbo mentioned today's rumour (the 2 additional players) on AFL 360 tonight - he said lots of journalists were chasing it up today, but at the end he seemed to suggest there was nothing in it.

Call in the AFL integrity Unit - Why does the very first game of the new season show a clear conflict of interest.

Jordan Banister is umpiring in a game involving one of his 2 old teams.

Upto 1/4 of the Carlton list played with him in his last year 2009. 7 of the 22 named in tomorrow night's game played with him in that year at least.

Perception?!?!?!?!?:eek::confused::mad:o_O:drunk:

I would think he is the first name ruled out of the list for this game, there are 8 other games on the weekend. Hmmmmmm.

Call in the AFL integrity Unit - Why does the very first game of the new season show a clear conflict of interest.

Upto 1/4 of the Carlton list played with him in his last year 2009. 7 of the 22 named in tomorrow night's game played with him in that year at least.

I would think he is the first name ruled out of the list for this game, there are 8 other games on the weekend. Hmmmmmm.
He's a great umpire- almost as good as Leigh Fisher.

I don't know where you got your info from, but Bannister is doing our game (along with Stephens / Jeffery) not the Blues game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back