Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Ablett did get pinged a couple of times yesterday. Could be wrong though. Hodge fully deserved his NS though. Absolutely killed Stokes in what was a piss poor match-up.

Spot on. Shows how gracious some Hawks fans are in victory. Hope we don't have to put up with crap like that for the next 12 months. :thumbsdown:

mirror mirror on the wall......................

Hodge was BOG.

Raw stats don't tell the whole story of why, but if you watched the game, saw how much pressure the undermanned Hawthorn backline were under for sustained periods you would understand.

How Hodge marshaled his team, the desperation, inspiration he showed was outstanding. When Geelong looked like taking over and running away with a lead, Hodge was there.

Amazing game by him with a great start by Clinton Young and great efforts by Stuart Dew, Cyril Rioli and Gary Ablett Jnr. Honourable mention to Xavier Ellis too.

Hodge was without doubt a deserving Norm Smith Medalist. :thumbsu:

Hodge was clearly the best man on the ground.

A sensational Grand Final performance.

I agree, Hodge deserved it for sure.
Example: He got a hold of campble brown, and told him to shut the f*** up in the dying 5 mins of the game!
Thats persistance!

McClaren was great up until half time fot the cats.

:thumbsu:

r19199_47339.jpg

medal2809.jpg

My interpretation of the Norm Smith Medal is that it should always go to the best home team player, even if an opposition player was slightly better on the day. I think the only case that the Norm Smith should go to an opposition player is that they have an outstanding game far from anyone else.

Hodge clearly deserved it. Ellis was fantastic but the two turnovers in the 3rd quater could have hurt big time and probably dropped him a rung or two. Ablett was very good, but Hodge led an undersized defence that lost it's biggest body early, and continually threw himself back into packs and oncoming forwards. Those who claim he plays as nothing more than a kick chasing loose man clearly need to WATCH the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might just be the wrong thread for it, but I'll say it anyway.

The above post shows why we won yesterday, our bottom few players stood up (Ellis, our 22nd picked was near BOG). Their bottom few players were annonymous.

Hodge by plenty. It started when he lifted his arms up at the first bounce and offered his ribs to his opponent.

That means 1 of 2 things, he's fit and fine or he's ****ing crazy!!!! Either way it set the precendent.

He was brilliant. I think it says more about how bloody good Ablett is that whilst i thought he played very well and got plenty of it, i never considered him for Norm.

Not that I'm one for mouthing off. But that sentence right there is the biggest contradiction in BF history.

We won the game. That is the REASON to gloat.

If I was HFC supporter on BF atm...I wouldnt hold back with the gloating.

After all the sh-t u hawk fans have copped over the last few years on this site,I don't blame any of you for getting carried away and having a gloat fest.

Just don't expect everyone else to share the joy.

We all still hate Hawthorn, but at the same time we can't help but being impressed with your victory.

One for the history books.....:(

Ablett may have had 34 touches, but, I can't recall too many that had an impact on the game to be truthful. Same with Corey. The high possession game Geelong plays means that the possessions some of the players get inflate their apparent influence.

My top 5 for each club:

Hawthorn: Ellis, Sewell, Crawford, Rioli, Dew (Hodge was a real surprise)
Geelong: Scarlett, Ablett, Corey, Ottens, Blake

Hush, my child, your football knowledge is non existent.

if you read the reply moron, i was responding to a post that said he played on stokes, so yes he did play as a loose man all day as stokes was a joke and non- existent. So go back to your school holidays little child, I think your mummy is calling.

Ablett may have had 34 touches, but, I can't recall too many that had an impact on the game to be truthful. Same with Corey. The high possession game Geelong plays means that the possessions some of the players get inflate their apparent influence.

My top 5 for each club:

Hawthorn: Ellis, Sewell, Crawford, Rioli, Dew (Hodge was a real surprise)
Geelong: Scarlett, Ablett, Corey, Ottens, Blake

Tell me you are not serious, your argument all of a sudden lost any credibility it might have had....:thumbsdown:

Ablett was excellent, but yep, losing by near 5 goals he's never going to get it. I honestly couldnt give a rats tossbag. Bet Gary doesnt either, the premiership medal is all that matters

Wrong

Best man was clearly Hodge. Masrshalled the defence and continually rallied them and commanded them while Geelong fed the ball in.

Was inspirational.

Bloody stats. Hodge represents the reasons why Hawthorn won. Courage, effort, persistence, leadership and determination. I value all of that more than the number of kicks, handballs, marks etc. The fact is Hodge is a born leader, demands respect and is a superstar of the competition. They got it right.

Hodge had a massive influence on the game that went went beyond simple statistics.

Fully deserved his Norm Smith

Had Clint Young not been injured it night have been different

Agree with all of the above. Hodge was inspirational. Took some heavy hits early on as they tested out his ribs and did not flinch, then went on to marshall that backline (especially when they lost Croad) and bloody hell - Geelong could not get anything through.

He stared the whole bloody Geelong team in the eye and did not blink.

Totally deserving winner. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back