Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge was a worthy winner for mine. Whilst Ablett played a great match i do't feel he was deserving of the medal yesterday. Hodge held the backline together yesterday a top effort considering how early Croad went down with injury.

It's not about the stats for Hodge, though he had plenty of them.
The fact is he had less than Ablett, yet still managed to end up with more Champion Data points for the game. Quality>quantity.

As for the last 5 minutes and the 'kick to kick' . . . the Norm Smith is usually decided at the beginning of the fourth quarter. It's a flaw in the system, but it allows them to present it right after the game.

Dunno about Ablett winning it, but i dont think Hodge should have. He was good, but 4 or 5 of those kicks were in the last 5 mins playing kick to kick. I actually think Xavier ellis was very good and would have been worthy
Wasn't just about stats with hodge mate it was the overall impact he had on the game. Double figures in contested possessions, nearly double figures in 1%ers, Controlled the backline like no other and was a deserving winner.

I had Mark Williams, I thought especially in the first half, when Hawthorn needed a bit of magic, he was the one who kept providing it.

Followed by Hodge.

As for Ablett, what he did was good, when he did it, but was in and out of the game too much and allowed Hawthorn to dictate to the Geelong midfield, by pushing them out of the corridor. Ablett should have dictated to hawthorn and kept them in the corridor. And he was never going to win it given the margin in the end.

the simple fact is that Gary Ablett, like his father in a losing GF against Hawthorn 20 seasons earlier was clearly best on ground QUOTE]

Junior was very good in this years GF but you cannot seriously compare this game to his dad`s stunning performance in the `89 GF :confused:.

I must say though, I can`t get enough of watching junior Ablett howl like a baby, as Billy Brownless would say "what a sooky la la". Twice in a week, now thats pure gold:thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge was great today, not taking away from that, the simple fact is that Gary Ablett, like his father in a losing GF against Hawthorn 20 seasons earlier was clearly best on ground.

Kicks: 12
Handballs: 22
Efficiency: 85%
Goals: 2
Clearances: 8:eek:
Tackles: 5

Hodge was basically playing his spare man in defence role again (which he does extremely well), while Ablett carried his team for most of the game.
IMHO Abletts performance today was Judd and Bucklley like (2002,2005)

I reckon That you should apply for a 7 commentary team member, they have NFI as well!

Easily got it right. Ablett was good no doubt but Hodge was so good throughout and set us up and got the hardball and had several spoils. BOG well done Hodge.

Well I thought it was wrong.
Although it's hard to give a Norm Smith to a player on a losing team (by a fairly comfortable margin), Hodge definitely wasn't the best player on the ground.
He only had 14 touches to three-quarter time.
12 in the final quarter when the stage of the game wasn't as vital.
Of course, he did play well for the winning side, he just wasn't BOG.

Although it's hard to give a Norm Smith to a player on a losing team (by a fairly comfortable margin), Hodge definitely wasn't the best player on the ground.

According to who...you?

He was BOG, as decided by people who have more of a clue than you do. Now go and sit over with Caroline Wilson as you clearly have NFI.

According to who...you?

He was BOG, as decided by people who have more of a clue than you do. Now go and sit over with Caroline Wilson as you clearly have NFI.

Tch, tch. Snarky.
All I'm saying is that getting 12 touches in the final quarter leaves was a recent impression in the judge's minds.
He didn't have as big an impact when the hawks were getting their lead, just in the shoring up of chipping around.

You need to forget the stats for a minute.

Countless times Hodge got to a contest and chopped out Lonergan or Mooney.

He also blanketed out Stokes, a player Geelong desperately needed to wreak havoc.

He was also able to play the way he wanted even when that close checking neanderthal frontrunner in Rooke was put on him.

He crunched Ablett in a couple of tackles which noone else was able to do.

He'd block an opponent out of the contest for a teammate then run off for a handball recieve and setup, eg vs Ottens & Rooke - people tend to miss the double plays, these aren't recorded.

He ran off his man to accept the Ossie handball from 50m to put us back in the lead at a crucial stage.

12 touches in the last quarter was massive considering the Cats were always going to come hard at us - composure down back was they key and he oozed it, this permeated to the other defenders.

Some of his kicks out of defence were pinpoint 40m passes to a running player enabling them to play on, carry and drive us further.

Ablett was brilliant in an evasive sense but wasn't as damaging - plenty of handballs and 20m chip kicks across half back/wing to stagnant players looks good on the stats sheet but it never eventuated into much.

Not that it means a hell of a lot but the The Age & H/Sun journos collectively agreed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back