North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
they actually have an elite list, just young.

soft cap help makes more sense but can they afford it?

We had no problems generating and spending up to the previous soft cap but we don't really get helped by the schedule when we are a bottom four club with a lot of Sunday home games. I have no doubt that if we can spend some extra we would budget to raise that extra revenue and make it, we have strong corporate partners for a club our size.

noone ever deserves a pp

but as seen many clubs have been given start of round 1 pp north have never had one

now if another club also wanted to bottom out and spent 3-5 years on the bottom like we have then tbh id have no issue with them getting a PP especially if they have never received one.

North haven't spent 3-5 years on the bottom. Despite their deliberate self destruction.

id have no issue with them getting a PP especially if they have never received one.

Good for you?

What was the deal the AFL put in place for the Gold Coast to help out with their list/drafting?
Can see that happening for North over the next couple of years

Was it access to state leaguers, an extra few rookie spots and a couple of extra mid/late first and second round picks?

Always been against it, but I’m starting to think they need it.
If Melb Carlton Hawthorn Dogs etc all got one, north needs one. They’re in a worse spot than all but Melb of those.

I reckon give them pick 11 in the next 2 drafts. Teams missing finals have their picks 1-10 un touched. Teams making finals pushed up 1 spot.

I think giving them pick 2 would be unfair for the other teams building.

Their President, Sonja Hood, came out yesterday and told the entire world that their list is full of talented players..

If you have a list full of talented players, and youre gonna get the number 1 draft pick already thus adding yet another highly talented player, then why do you need a PP?..

This competition is a complete farce already.. shit like this just makes it worse.

A lot of people here are over-cooking their proposed solutions.

NMFC will get a priority pick. It will be at the end of the 1st round. It will happen and be forgotten just as quickly.

What was the deal the AFL put in place for the Gold Coast to help out with their list/drafting?
Can see that happening for North over the next couple of years

Was it access to state leaguers, an extra few rookie spots and a couple of extra mid/late first and second round picks?
No club will ever get a package like this again:

The first pick of the first round of the 2019 National Draft (pick #1).
The first pick of the second round of the 2019 National Draft (pick #22, since traded to Carlton, then on-traded to Port Adelaide and then Brisbane Lions).
A mid-first round pick in the 2020 AFL draft (pick #11, since traded to Geelong at the 2019 National Draft, then on-traded to GWS).
The first pick of the second round of the 2021 AFL draft (pick #19, since traded to Fremantle).
Darwin was added to its Academy zone
The ability to be able to pre-list Academy players.
An expanded Category A rookie list of up to ten players, with the club having a maximum roster of 53 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people here are over-cooking their proposed solutions.

NMFC will get a priority pick. It will be at the end of the 1st round. It will happen and be forgotten just as quickly.

Pretty much. It's what Brisbane got in 2016, and apparently the other clubs were reportedly OK with it. People don't remember that we traded it as a part of a package for a future first round pick that we traded for Cameron the year after.

The AFL basically took over Melbourne. Installed a CEO, chairman, paid Paul Roos to coach, gave them pick 2 as FA compensation for James Frawley, which was the priority pick when we don't want to call it a priority pick.

And the trolling in the last line is gutless and pathetic.
Absolute revisionist history.

• The AFL asked Peter Jackson to come in as interim CEO (think initial term was 6 months?). He agreed and ended up staying for 5 or so years on his own accord. So you have this one partially correct.
  • Peter Jackson convinced Paul Roos to become senior coach, not the AFL. The AFL had zero influence in him accepting the job. We also received no funds from the AFL to pay his contract (outside normal equalisation measures).
  • The Frawley compo qualified as band 1 per the criteria at the time. It's black and white. If we were good, that could've been pick 19 - it just so happened that we were terrible, had just finished second last and it was pick 3. Losing your only AA quality player after three years of trash performance is not ideal.
  • We applied for a priority pick at the end of 2013 after winning 2 games vs non-expansion teams in 2 full seasons and were rejected.

I support North getting a priority pick of some sort (maybe end of first round), but try not to proclaim conjecture as facts.

The AFL basically took over Melbourne.
"Circling back" to this one... I've thought about it overnight and have decided that this really is the appropriate course of action.

I'd LOVE to see the AFL take over North Melbourne!

Always been against it, but I’m starting to think they need it.
If Melb Carlton Hawthorn Dogs etc all got one, north needs one. They’re in a worse spot than all but Melb of those.

I reckon give them pick 11 in the next 2 drafts. Teams missing finals have their picks 1-10 un touched. Teams making finals pushed up 1 spot.

I think giving them pick 2 would be unfair for the other teams building.
The Melb/Carlton/Hawthorn ones are from 15 years ago, when the AFL was much more keen on handing out priority picks.

Carlton recently spent more time down the bottom of the ladder that North have, I don't agree that North are in a worse spot

The Melb/Carlton/Hawthorn ones are from 15 years ago, when the AFL was much more keen on handing out priority picks.

Carlton recently spent more time down the bottom of the ladder that North have, I don't agree that North are in a worse spot
You never had 8 wins across 3 seasons like us

In 2016 you had 6 wins, 6 wins in 2017 and 2 in 2018 that’s 14 across 3 seasons

Plus you had already received priority picks for walker, Murphy etc so I doubt the afl were too keen to give you more

North never having one will play a part

We could win all remainder 6 games and still be equal worse with blues over that time

No club will ever get a package like this again:

The first pick of the first round of the 2019 National Draft (pick #1).
The first pick of the second round of the 2019 National Draft (pick #22, since traded to Carlton, then on-traded to Port Adelaide and then Brisbane Lions).
A mid-first round pick in the 2020 AFL draft (pick #11, since traded to Geelong at the 2019 National Draft, then on-traded to GWS).
The first pick of the second round of the 2021 AFL draft (pick #19, since traded to Fremantle).
Darwin was added to its Academy zone
The ability to be able to pre-list Academy players.
An expanded Category A rookie list of up to ten players, with the club having a maximum roster of 53 players.
free hits on Jeffrey and Davies too. Both look jets.
It was effectively a reset for them as a start up. Very different imo, given they were also fighting geography. The talent GCS lost to other clubs could make a premiership side.

free hits on Jeffrey and Davies too. Both look jets.
It was effectively a reset for them as a start up. Very different imo, given they were also fighting geography. The talent GCS lost to other clubs could make a premiership side.
I agree and we aren’t asking for 3 first round pp plus extra rookie list spots

We really just want 1 start of first round pp which will be our first ever pp

Now if the afl are willing to throw in extra soft cap space great we can attract more coaches too

Their own president said that their list is full of talent, so they're essentially saying we don't need one, we have enough good talent. They better not apply for one or it'll look bloody silly.

Their own president said that their list is full of talent, so they're essentially saying we don't need one, we have enough good talent. They better not apply for one or it'll look bloody silly.
They already said they are applying for priority picks in that same presser

The rest is fluff to sell hope

They already said they are applying for priority picks in that same presser

The rest is fluff to sell hope
But how can you say with great conviction that you have enough talent but in the same breath say you're applying for a priority pick? Where's the professionalism in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back