Universal Love North Melbourne: The Secret Ingredient

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
There is often dispute about the origins of Hawthorn's success over the last decade. With the 0-4 start and some tragic losses, many pundits started suggesting that the thing that built Hawthorn's success (attacking high talent early draft selections), had been systematically disregarded in recent times. This resulted in the chiming back from some Hawthorn supporters that the club's fortunes in the three-peat were so strongly built upon aggressive trading, that applying a draft pick solution was inadequate. Of course, the genius of the coaching has also contributed, with some even suggesting that all the high level coaching IP that has spread to other clubs might have diluted Hawthorn's advantage in this area. I would suggest that one key element has been overlooked in this analysis; North Melbourne.

I think it is very easily arguable that Hawthorn's success would not at all be possible without their trading history specifically as it relates to North Melbourne. Far from just a fruitful relationship, this trading history has proven SO fruitful that I think it would be logical to arrange any and all trades that can be arranged with North Melbourne in any given off-season. Most Hawthorn supporters are familiar with the most prominent examples of this, Thompson, Gibson and Hay, but there is a new super-trade right under our noses. With one thoroughly lacklustre exception, every trade with North Melbourne since the turn of the century has proven to be pivotal either to past success or future prospects of success. Let's take a look at the history, shall we?

2004 - The Origin

Hawthorn gain: Pick 10, pick 26
North Melbourne gain: Nathan Thompson

Pick 10 was packaged up with pick 37 to deliver pick 7 and Bo Nixon. Pick 7 turned out to be four time premiership player, All Australian reresentative and 2014 Best and Fairest winner Jordan Lewis. Pick 26 ended up being Matthew Little who played one game for the Hawks.

2005 - An Unlikely Friendship Emerges

Hawthorn gain: Pick 18
North Melbourne gain: Jonathon Hay

In one of the less lopsided trades of the series, Hawthorn landed pick 18, which was then used on 2013 premiership ruckman Max Bailey. Cruelled by injuries for much of his career, Bailey played 19 games that season including the winning Grand Final in what Sam Mitchell said was "the greatest story of the 2013 premiership."

2009 - "When you think about it, Hawthorn really gave up Shaun Atley"

Hawthorn gain: Josh Gibson, pick 69
North Melbourne gain: Pick 25, pick 41

In my personal favourite of the bunch, Hawthorn acquired 3 time premiership player, 2 time Best and Fairest winner (both premiership years) and All Australian defender Josh Gibson. To top it off, North Melbourne selected Aaron Black and Ayden Kennedy. Black is now at Geelong after his potential never materialised at North Melbourne wile Ayden Kennedy may as well never have existed as far as the greater footballing landscape is concerned. To top it all off? With pick 69, Hawthorn selected 2 time premiership player Taylor Duryea. Not only did Hawthorn secure one of the most important players of their three-peat but the steak knives thrown in by North Melbourne have ended up as better value than the picks of any worth.

2010 - A Tall, Unathletic, Balding man.

Hawthorn gain: David Hale, pick 52
North Melbourne gain: End of first round compensation pick, pick 71

A first round selection for a seemingly unspectacular forward/ruck? That's right, Hawthorn acquired 3 time premiership ruckman David Hale. But North Melbourne received a first round pick, right? Right. Gold Coast's introduction meant that was pushed back a bit and became Kieran Harper who was delisted at the end of 2015 after 40 games. Pick 71 was used on Ben Mabon. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. Hawthorn traded pick 52 to Melbourne for pick 66 and Kyle Cheney. While never a premiership player, Cheney was solid depth during the three-peat years, often playing on players he had no right to play on. Pick 66 was used on three-time premiership small forward Paul Puopolo. So again, the steak knives thrown in by North Melbourne became worth more than their actual picks, in addition to providing a key component for Hawthorn's recent success.

2011 - Who? Oooooohhh That Guy

Hawthorn gain: Pick 58
North Melbourne gain: Will Sierrakowski

In the most irrelevant chapter of this series, Sierrakowski was traded for a pick that essentially was traded for Jarryd Bouman. That's right. Remember him? The defender that played for Box Hill before coming to Hawthorn and playing two games? Me neither.

2015 - A New Chapter

Hawthorn gain: Pick 15, pick 55
North Melbourne gain: Jed Anderson, pick 38, pick 40

So what's the point of this series? Don't we already know about how good we've had it with North Melbourne? Almost. There is one pivotal deal that looks like it could shape Hawthorn for the next decade. Lots of Hawthorn supporters were sad to see Jed go. I was sad to see Jed go. Unfortunately for him, his career has so far failed to take off at North Melbourne. This is a year where pick merry-go-round becomes hard to decipher. North on-traded the picks going some (seemingly very small) way to getting Ryan Clarke and Ben McKay. What did Hawthorn gain exactly? Here's the kicker, Hawthorn landed Ryan Burton and Blake Hardwick using these picks. Two young members of a backline that today looked composed and highly promising. I think it is not an overstatement to say that Ryan Burton is the most impressive player in the league for his level of experience.

So what is the final tally? What has been the sum of Hawthorn-North Melbourne dealings since the Thompson trade?

Hawthorn gain: Jordan Lewis, Josh Gibson, Ryan Burton, Paul Puopolo, David Hale, Taylor Duryea, Max Bailey, Blake Hardwick, Kyle Cheney, Matthew Little, Jarryd Bouman

North Melbourne gain: Nathan Thompson, Jonathan Hay, Aaron Black, Ayden Kennedy, Kieran Harper, Ben Mabon, Will Sierrakowski, Jed Anderson and an approximate Ryan Clarke

So Hawthorn's trading history with North Melbourne has delivered: 16 premiership medals, all 3 Peter Crimmins Medals during the three-peat, two All-Australian players and the most promising young player at Hawthorn since Cyril.

Did this thread cover any exciting new ground? Not really. But I thought I'd capitalise on the good (to understate it) mood of the board and the deserved hype train of Ryan Burton to show that even when you're not thinking about it, even when it doesn't appear that anything special is happening, North Melbourne are always there in the winds, whispering success into the ears of the Hawthorn Football Club.

There is often dispute about the origins of Hawthorn's success over the last decade. With the 0-4 start and some tragic losses, many pundits started suggesting that the thing that built Hawthorn's success (attacking high talent early draft selections), had been systematically disregarded in recent times. This resulted in the chiming back from some Hawthorn supporters that the club's fortunes in the three-peat were so strongly built upon aggressive trading, that applying a draft pick solution was inadequate. Of course, the genius of the coaching has also contributed, with some even suggesting that all the high level coaching IP that has spread to other clubs might have diluted Hawthorn's advantage in this area. I would suggest that one key element has been overlooked in this analysis; North Melbourne.

I think it is very easily arguable that Hawthorn's success would not at all be possible without their trading history specifically as it relates to North Melbourne. Far from just a fruitful relationship, this trading history has proven SO fruitful that I think it would be logical to arrange any and all trades that can be arranged with North Melbourne in any given off-season. Most Hawthorn supporters are familiar with the most prominent examples of this, Thompson, Gibson and Hay, but there is a new super-trade right under our noses. With one thoroughly lacklustre exception, every trade with North Melbourne since the turn of the century has proven to be pivotal either to past success or future prospects of success. Let's take a look at the history, shall we?

2004 - The Origin

Pick 10 was packaged up with pick 37 to deliver pick 7 and Bo Nixon. Pick 7 turned out to be four time premiership player, All Australian reresentative and 2014 Best and Fairest winner Jordan Lewis. Pick 26 ended up being Matthew Little who played one game for the Hawks.

In one of the less lopsided trades of the series, Hawthorn landed pick 18, which was then used on 2013 premiership ruckman Max Bailey. Cruelled by injuries for much of his career, Bailey played 19 games that season including the winning Grand Final in what Sam Mitchell said was "the greatest story of the 2013 premiership."

In my personal favourite of the bunch, Hawthorn acquired 3 time premiership player, 2 time Best and Fairest winner (both premiership years) and All Australian defender Josh Gibson. To top it off, North Melbourne selected Aaron Black and Ayden Kennedy. Black is now at Geelong after his potential never materialised at North Melbourne wile Ayden Kennedy may as well never have existed as far as the greater footballing landscape is concerned. To top it all off? With pick 69, Hawthorn selected 2 time premiership player Taylor Duryea. Not only did Hawthorn secure one of the most important players of their three-peat but the steak knives thrown in by North Melbourne have ended up as better value than the picks of any worth.

A first round selection for a seemingly unspectacular forward/ruck? That's right, Hawthorn acquired 3 time premiership ruckman David Hale. But North Melbourne received a first round pick, right? Right. Gold Coast's introduction meant that was pushed back a bit and became Kieran Harper who was delisted at the end of 2015 after 40 games. Pick 71 was used on Ben Mabon. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. Hawthorn traded pick 52 to Melbourne for pick 66 and Kyle Cheney. While never a premiership player, Cheney was solid depth during the three-peat years, often playing on players he had no right to play on. Pick 66 was used on three-time premiership small forward Paul Puopolo. So again, the steak knives thrown in by North Melbourne became worth more than their actual picks, in addition to providing a key component for Hawthorn's recent success.

In the most irrelevant chapter of this series, Sierrakowski was traded for a pick that essentially was traded for Jarryd Bouman. That's right. Remember him? The defender that played for Box Hill before coming to Hawthorn and playing two games? Me neither.

2015 - A New Chapter

So what's the point of this series? Don't we already know about how good we've had it with North Melbourne? Almost. There is one pivotal deal that looks like it could shape Hawthorn for the next decade. Lots of Hawthorn supporters were sad to see Jed go. I was sad to see Jed go. Unfortunately for him, his career has so far failed to take off at North Melbourne. This is a year where pick merry-go-round becomes hard to decipher. North on-traded the picks going some (seemingly very small) way to getting Ryan Clarke and Ben McKay. What did Hawthorn gain exactly? Here's the kicker, Hawthorn landed Ryan Burton and Blake Hardwick using these picks. Two young members of a backline that today looked composed and highly promising. I think it is not an overstatement to say that Ryan Burton is the most impressive player in the league for his level of experience.

So what is the final tally? What has been the sum of Hawthorn-North Melbourne dealings since the Thompson trade?

Hawthorn gain: Jordan Lewis, Josh Gibson, Ryan Burton, Paul Puopolo, David Hale, Taylor Duryea, Max Bailey, Blake Hardwick, Kyle Cheney, Matthew Little, Jarryd Bouman

North Melbourne gain: Nathan Thompson, Jonathan Hay, Aaron Black, Ayden Kennedy, Kieran Harper, Ben Mabon, Will Sierrakowski, Jed Anderson and an approximate Ryan Clarke

So Hawthorn's trading history with North Melbourne has delivered: 16 premiership medals, all 3 Peter Crimmins Medals during the three-peat, two All-Australian players and the most promising young player at Hawthorn since Cyril.

Did this thread cover any exciting new ground? Not really. But I thought I'd capitalise on the good (to understate it) mood of the board and the deserved hype train of Ryan Burton to show that even when you're not thinking about it, even when it doesn't appear that anything special is happening, North Melbourne are always there in the winds, whispering success into the ears of the Hawthorn Football Club.
ezgif.com-optimize.gif
Thread title should have warning;

NORTH SUPPORTERS DO NOT ENTER!

When I first saw a thread relating to North I was like.... o_O

Then I opened it up and read it and I was like...

7f5.gif

2004 - The Origin

2015 - A New Chapter

Mods - could there by some kind of admin mistake where this thread is accidentally stickied on the North board?

Last edited:
In the most irrelevant chapter of this series, Sierrakowski was traded for a pick that essentially was traded for Jarryd Bouman. That's right. Remember him? The defender that played for Box Hill before coming to Hawthorn and playing two games? Me neither..
IIRC Boumann got involved in a fight at a tramstop and suffered a season ending injury i.e hurt his hand.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...b/news-story/5a0cfa404fca1053e7849a3dbbc6322d
He had spend 3 years at the Bulldogs before getting delisted and turning up at Box Hill. Proved his worth at Box Hill hence his drafting.
Boumann spent 2013 at Doveton before getting recruited to Wangaratta Rovers in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those pretty bad, we need to trade more with North and Port.

Nathan Lonie for Pick(14) Grant Birchall (Seriously how drunk were they??)

Brent Renouf for Pick(33) Bradley Hill

The way I remember the Birchall trade was heavily involved with the Hay deal.

Port essentially gave up 14 (Birchall) for Motlop in a 3 way deal that saw Hay go to North and Hawthorn receive Picks 14 and 18 for Hay and Lonie.

I think it is not an overstatement to say that Ryan Burton is the most impressive player in the league for his level of experience.

Considering he's played just over 10 games of football at any level in the last 3 seasons.....not an overstatement at all.

Port essentially gave up 14 (Birchall) for Motlop in a 3 way deal that saw Hay go to North and Hawthorn receive Picks 14 and 18 for Hay and Lonie.

In truth, the reality might be that it would be more correct to consider 14 (i.e. Birchall) to be the product of the Hay trade rather than just 18. However the official trade was Hay for 18 and there was a fair bit of picks exchanging hands going on so drawing that connection isn't 100% clear. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone taking license and claiming Birch as well in all of this. Certainly makes for even more stark reading :D. Adding 4 more premiership medals and another All-Australian to that lot.

Looking at our list I think we could roll them again with Smith or Stratts + our second Rd for their first, that is almost definitely going to be a top 10 pick.
Helllloooo Jacob Hopper

#hopperisthetarget

I think in essence the 3 way netted the following:

Hawthorn - Pick 14 (Birchall) & Pick 18 (Bailey)
Port - Motlop and Lonie
North - Hay

I smiled the whole time typing that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love North Melbourne: The Secret Ingredient

Remove this Banner Ad

Back