Game Day North vs Deez (round 15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t like the media pumping us up for this game. The boys faded badly last week (most weeks tbh) and despite their form, Melbourne play very good football when on.
I can’t get my hopes too high off the back of 2 games. Not convinced that the lads have turned the corner yet, I want to trust them, but I need a bigger sample size.

Simpkin back helps if he’s in the middle because he can run out 4 quarters, also his leadership will be handy.

They need to be prepared for a Melbourne side that will plan on absolutely smashing the first quarter with everything.

I assume Melbourne will be attempting to break the spirit early, hoping to break the confidence that the team has been building. Whatever happens in that first q, they need to stay focussed and keep the belief.

Don’t like the media pumping us up for this game. The boys faded badly last week (most weeks tbh) and despite their form, Melbourne play very good football when on.
I can’t get my hopes too high off the back of 2 games. Not convinced that the lads have turned the corner yet, I want to trust them, but I need a bigger sample size.

Simpkin back helps if he’s in the middle because he can run out 4 quarters, also his leadership will be handy.
My expectations aren't too high either, moreso because I think the opposition will take us seriously rather than us not maintaining most our improvement, but it sure feels damn nice going into a game and thinking we're a chance.

I also think our goal kicking accuracy has inflated our status a bit. 11.8 against west coast is fine, but the 19.4 against Collingwood was elite conversion (just not in the final minutes!!). However the flipside is that we lost the scoring shot count by 6 in both games.

We have improved in the last couple of weeks. I’d like to see us concede less scoring shots on goal.

Below are how many shots we’ve given the opposition in each game across the season.

29 (vs Collingwood)

If we can concede less than 25 shots to Melbourne tonight we’ll give ourselves more of a chance to win the game. But currently this is the area that is holding us back.

They need to be prepared for a Melbourne side that will plan on absolutely smashing the first quarter with everything.

I assume Melbourne will be attempting to break the spirit early, hoping to break the confidence that the team has been building. Whatever happens in that first q, they need to stay focussed and keep the belief.
That’s what happened last year at this very same time & venue. Think they had 10goals by the time we got our first

He regularly takes contested marks down the line to releive their pressure. goldy did it in his prime. X is way down on this metric and it's why he doesn't get noticed much.
Neither take as many as we think. Gawn averages 4.6 marks a game, which includes 2 contested marks a game.

Goldy averages 0.8 contested marks a game - it was rarely a feature of his game, and a total of just under 3 marks/game. His tap work is miles ahead of Xerri though.

If he can just keep competing and force those long kicks to ground, it's a whole lot better than uncontested marks by the opposition backs which then setup goals.

Gawn and Goldy average about 0.5 goals/game - this year Xerri kicked 5 goals from 13 games. If he can keep this up it's handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. I can see a 'come down' even though we lost last week and the dees stomping us pretty handily.

The Richmond game is the one I'm more confident about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back