VFL Northern Bullants v Essendon - Saturday 3 August, 2:05pm, Genis Steel Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve only watched the third quarter, but best on ground is 100% the field umpire who is perfectly executing centre bounces in one of the worst mud pit centre squares you will ever see. 3 votes (or whatever the vfl equivalent is)
I followed VFLW here for a few games this year and was really impressed on how the centre wicket held up over games.

It looks torn up, but it's not muddy. It really only loses the top layer while remianing firm underneath, so not a slop.

The rest of the ground is also very well maintained. A good deck all round.

Probably should have won by 80+ tbh

Good for Tsatas and Hobbs to continue to get minutes in the legs in a real slog and good for Perkins in particular to get a bit of easy ball in and and confidence in the legs.

They didn’t all result in goals but I reckon Perkins had 6 or 7 passes that resulted in marks inside 50.

Shanahan looks a real find, very draftable I reckon.

I’ve only watched the third quarter, but best on ground is 100% the field umpire who is perfectly executing centre bounces in one of the worst mud pit centre squares you will ever see. 3 votes (or whatever the vfl equivalent is)
Haha was thinking the same thing - when I first saw him going to bounce in there thought surely not then it just went straight up, and then again and again..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Tsatis play?
Think he got 30+. A couple of guys on Blitz reckoned his kicking looked much better and with penetration - maybe the changes are starting to click. From the segments I saw he still has a high ball drop I would like to see reduced but every kick looked fine - no shanks or passes pinpointing the opposition. Another said he hadn't seen anyone who could read the ball so well from tap outs. At one point I saw him directing Goldie and the other mids.

Second week in a row he has been okay by foot.

Progress is great, getting a stack of ball will be helping.
He's the one guy I'm ok not seeing the senior team for the rest of the year unless they play him pure midfield (which they won't)

Had a look today.
Against ordinary opposition we were okay.
I do think there are some players who are going to struggle moving forward.
Jayden Davey is a one effort small forward who does not look like it for mine.
Sam Weideman is an honest plodder who is not good enough to be an afl listed player moving forward.’
Tex wanganeen shows some run but is fumbly and cannot stay in the game.
Luomon Lula looks a 1000 miles off it. Smart is a way better small forward and foley a way better small defender.
Hind was okay but if he cannot get a game in a slow senior team than he has probably had papers stamped.
Goody can ruck well but cannot be picked in front of Bryan moving forward. Was terrific with young players today.
Perkins lacks physicality and desperation but decision making better than most.
Tsatsas is a midfielder who can win inside but can spread with speed unlike other mids today. Kicking was okay.
Hobbs is an honest hard nut who lacks the zip of Caldwell and Durham. Parish is probably in his spot.
Setterfield is a bit bigger and honest but has he got the athleticism for afl footy.
Wright is very low on confidence and looked like he was trying too hard. Has some demons at the moment.
Visentini is improving. Ok if he can get a jump at it. Body work is poor.
Hayes is just an average tall. I do not see a lot in him and if hoard was a bit taller he would be a better option.

If ther are fair dinkum- Goldstein, weideman, j Davey, wanganeen, hind and luol could all be moved on quite comfortably for mine.

Shanahan showed that he can hit up at kicker and is a beautiful kick. Has a nice frame to build on but lacks explosiveness.
Oscar smart has as much talent as anyone out there.
Mid season recruit saad el-hawli was sitting with family rather than teammates. This was not a great look for mine.

Had a look today.
Sam Weideman is an honest plodder who is not good enough to be an afl listed player moving forward.’
Luomon Lula looks a 1000 miles off it. Smart is a way better small forward and foley a way better small defender.
Hind was okay but if he cannot get a game in a slow senior team than he has probably had papers stamped.
Goody can ruck well but cannot be picked in front of Bryan moving forward. Was terrific with young players today.
Tsatsas is a midfielder who can win inside but can spread with speed unlike other mids today. Kicking was okay.
Hobbs is an honest hard nut who lacks the zip of Caldwell and Durham. Parish is probably in his spot.
Setterfield is a bit bigger and honest but has he got the athleticism for afl footy.
Wright is very low on confidence and looked like he was trying too hard. Has some demons at the moment.
Hayes is just an average tall. I do not see a lot in him and if hoard was a bit taller he would be a better option.

If ther are fair dinkum- Goldstein, weideman, j Davey, wanganeen, hind and luol could all be moved on quite comfortably for mine.

Shanahan showed that he can hit up at kicker and is a beautiful kick. Has a nice frame to build on but lacks explosiveness.
Mid season recruit saad el-hawli was sitting with family rather than teammates. This was not a great look for mine.
Cheers mate. I like reading any analysis of a game I haven’t seen. This does, however, come across as a little scathing.

Davey and Wanganeen have barely played for a couple of years. Does that lend them some slack? Lual was always in the ‘project’ category for mine and needs a couple of preseasons before his papers are signed. From what I’ve seen of Hayes, I quite like. A slow burner for sure but I’ve seen him intercept and deliver with some precision against better sides than today.

Your assessment of the more experienced players concerns me more and reads as expected. Setterfield could still offer something in the clinches but perhaps he’s now seen by the coaches as being too limited in the athletic stuff as you mentioned.

Had a look today.

Appreciate the write-up, always good to hear from people who have watched first handed.

But bolded is very harsh for mine. Bloke is injured, has played 2 (1?) games for us, and is yet to be offered a contract for next year. And he’s at the game - just sitting with family? We all saw the video when we picked him and how close he is with his family. A non-issue for mine.

Some nice things from Tex …wouldn’t give up on him yet. Hind was good still don’t understand his omission but anyway. Agree with others in that Tsatas’ kicking wasn’t too bad but still some improvement for mine. Don’t think he won his own ball enough. There’s not too much to get excited about overall with the team considering they were playing bottom side. Most exciting moments last couple of years in VFL apart from Caddy were games by Hunter and SEH. Neither signed for next year at this stage.

Hobbs, Setterfield and Hind for Kelly, Shiel and Menzies feels like the easiest, low-hanging fruit way to instantly improve (and harden up) our team.

Thought Lual looked promising today. Obviously still very raw but won possessions in dangerous spaces only lacked a little class finishing. Looked like the old tom lynch from adelaide marking high half forward. Probably his most positive game for mine.

Love love loved Texs game. Probably had the 5 best kicks of the first half. Beautifully to the lead, weighted over the top. Silver service. Best game from a half back at any level weve had in a while. Pressure was very good as well.

Definitely Tsatas best kicking game Ive seen. Had him B.O.G. I want his vision studied by science, the way he was reading a bouncing balk in the mud pit was amazing.

Would love to see Nyko on an AFL list, half Lachie Jones, half Durham.

Hately has also been very effective up forward this year and might find his way back on an afl list. 16.8 for the year from 16 games.

Had a look today.

To be fair on Davey he was a lot better than yesterday over the last 4 weeks. Yesterday was like he started the year. Not enough effort or pressure. He is right in the gun for sure as 3 or 4 good games does not make a season.

Thought Lual looked promising today. Obviously still very raw but won possessions in dangerous spaces only lacked a little class finishing. Looked like the old tom lynch from adelaide marking high half forward. Probably his most positive game for mine.

Love love loved Texs game. Probably had the 5 best kicks of the first half. Beautifully to the lead, weighted over the top. Silver service. Best game from a half back at any level weve had in a while. Pressure was very good as well.

Definitely Tsatas best kicking game Ive seen. Had him B.O.G. I want his vision studied by science, the way he was reading a bouncing balk in the mud pit was amazing.

Would love to see Nyko on an AFL list, half Lachie Jones, half Durham.

Hately has also been very effective up forward this year and might find his way back on an afl list. 16.8 for the year from 16 games.
Respect your opinion but luol was not better than smart or foley so I think I am factually correct.
Show me a passage where he showed genuine speed.
Wanganeen did have some nice flashes but is that really enough at this stage of his career.
Nyko was ordinary below his knees and his kicking was not great today. Showed no speed in his movements but works hard.
Hately is too slow to make it as an afl forward and can’t run well enough to play afl midfield. Tried and failed at 2 clubs. I reckon vfl is his level.
A fault the bombers have made is overestimating their talent. They also need some fast footballers.
I don’t mind saad sitting with his family but he did not go to the players once.
That is poor.

Last edited:
To be fair on Davey he was a lot better than yesterday over the last 4 weeks. Yesterday was like he started the year. Not enough effort or pressure. He is right in the gun for sure as 3 or 4 good games does not make a season.
He looked terrible yesterday.
White shorts do him no favours.
He is not fit in my opinion.
I have to say I have watched little vfl football but if he was running around the Coates league with that rig and impact he would not be looked at.
Isaac kako plays with much more speed and intent.
He is 99% likely to be on our list which places jayden further down the depth chart.
It is not inconceivable that essendon select hotton or berry which would mean he slips further down.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Northern Bullants v Essendon - Saturday 3 August, 2:05pm, Genis Steel Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back