VFL ESSENDON vs COLLINGWOOD Saturday 29 June, 1:05pm, Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Eyre for them got a couple of goals for them. It seemed like Wanganeen was on him at one stage which was a bit of a mismatch for me. I thought Hayes was solid without being outstanding. Lual was so so and I’ve seen VV play better games than this one. He is still very raw same as Lual.

Jayden got the first goal for us but it was more the big forwards that dominated in my opinion. The twins both ended up with around 10 possessions each. Not sure if Junior came off at the end?
jnr is an emergency tonight iirc

Any improvement to his kicking?
No improvement unfortunately. It was wet so everyone was below standard, but he butchered a ball when trying to switch the play under no pressure and turned it over. Most of his kicks were clearances/just get the ball and surge it forward, they were fine. But anytime he has time and space you can tell he’s got no confidence.

Two observations:

Shiel absolutely banging down the door for selection after today’s effort, was best on ground - had his explosiveness back. The way the windy hill telecast works you can see the discussions happening between the midfields at centre bounces. I thought Shiel looked super engaged and the chemistry between the mids looked great.

Also Tsatas is seriously filling out, watching him just cruise up and down the centre of the ground… he’s going to be a unit. Hopefully it doesn’t cost him his explosiveness.

I hadn't seen "it" from Foley despite me parroting for him as an AFL player but after todays game, I see no difference in style to that of a Brandon Ellis. Runs well, uses it neatly, courageous and is quite strong despite his tender age (20).

Im not completely sure on who else is in the running for the Fothergill - Round medal but a bloke playing defence, averaging 20+ and a few marks would put him right in the conversation for the most promising player under 23.

And yes, Ethan, I am aware I no doubt will have missed an obvious candidate bu hes performing week in, week out not and I would have no hesitation taking him as a rookie as we do need a small defender

I hadn't seen "it" from Foley despite me parroting for him as an AFL player but after todays game, I see no difference in style to that of a Brandon Ellis. Runs well, uses it neatly, courageous and is quite strong despite his tender age (20).

Im not completely sure on who else is in the running for the Fothergill - Round medal but a bloke playing defence, averaging 20+ and a few marks would put him right in the conversation for the most promising player under 23.

And yes, Ethan, I am aware I no doubt will have missed an obvious candidate bu hes performing week in, week out not and I would have no hesitation taking him as a rookie as we do need a small defender
Saw a couple of matches earlier in the year and his quick decision making and kicking skill stood out. If there is a cluster of players he pinpoints a teammate 40 metres away in a small pocket of space.

I haven't seen enough of other sides to say in any way. Coburg don't really have a candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL ESSENDON vs COLLINGWOOD Saturday 29 June, 1:05pm, Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back