Northern FL Division 3 - 2011 Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season is racing towards the pointy end with Round 13 this Saturday.

Watsonia vs. Heidelberg West
A big opportunity for the Hawks to finally put a win on the board if they can run a complete game out. The Saints have also been way to inconsistent all season but may just have the edge here.

Panton Hill vs. St Mary's
Injuries have cursed the Redbacks this season while the Sainters have certainly surprised a few with some good performances. A pivotal game for both, especially the home team and for that reason, home ground advantage, it'll be a win to the Redbacks.

Parkside vs. South Morang
One would think this is a preview of the grand final the way both teams are playing. The Lions have taken all before them so far while the Devils have had also done the same, but probably not with the same authority. A real tough one to predict but think some of the more experienced Lions will lift for an important win.

Reservoir - Bye
The Mustangs could potentially be out of the top four come Saturday evening!

Watsonia vs. Heidelberg West
Come ON HAWKS !!! Just do it !!! You nearly did last time and have come close in a couple of other games this year. Do it for the GIPPER !

"A Defining Moment" I say for the HILLS....just gotta do it !

Parkside vs. South Morang
Probably, and unfortunately may be a preview of the Grand Final.
However, with Voss, Brown, Black, Power (are you allowed to use the words Black and Power in that order ??) and of course Banfield and Hawksley are back ..... hang on a minute, wrong Lions !!!
Can I go the DRAW !!!? ... if not, Lions just.

Reservoir - Bye
Come on HILLS ... push the 'Stangs out of the top four !

What happened at the hill? New coach according to there web site
Had an interesting conversation with a father of one of the PH players a few weeks back and i got the impression that all was not well with Hollywood Jarrad and the playing group had no respect for his methods. Joffa may be just the right person to take the helm as the PH list is quite solid and salvage the situation. As for "Hollywood" retirement is best for most hasbeen fat and old third div players like many of us

Parkside
Watsonia
Panton Hill

Should be a really good tight round of divy 3 footy this weekend :thumbsu:

I am curious as to why the NFL has decided once again to broadcast another division 1 match as match of the day. We play in the NFL which does have 3 divisions, not just one, and I think broadcasting the same division 1 sides over and over with the odd division 2 game is unfair.
I feel this weekend would have been a perfect opportunity to give the blokes from West a chance, great contest last time and should be another good game tomorrow.
Any one of this weekends divy 3 matches would be worthy of broadcasting, especially the top 2 clash, and wouldve been a great chance to share it around a bit. Just not good enough from the NFL :thumbsdown:

Watsonia vs Heidelberg West:
Well I think we all (bar anyone affiliated with Watsonia) want to see Heidelberg West get their first win. Watsonia have been somewhat disappointing and we know Heidelberg West will give a great fight. I think at home the Saints may get up just but I will not be surprised if the Hawks can get up.
Watsonia by 5 points

Panton Hill vs St.Marys
St.Marys seem to be there-abouts while the very talented Redbacks have been very inconsistent this season. Those that watch can expect a slug-fest in the mud. I think at home, with a new coach fired up and hungry for victory after a poor performance, the Redbacks should roll the Burra and jump into 4th.
Redbacks by 24 points.

Parkside vs South Morang
Top of the table clash and, as some say, the Grand Final Preview. The Devils will be out to avenge a poor performance against the Lions earlier in the season while Morang will look to knock off the star-studded Devils on their home ground. Should be a ripper game but I think the Devils have hit some nice form recently and should scrape home against the Lions.
Parkside by 12 points.

Round 13 Tipping Leader board

Harry - 2 (32)
Chet - 3 (31)
Freedom - 3 (30)
Erik - 2 (26)
CH - 1 (23)
OBF - 1 (21)
Grubby - 1 (19)
Devious - 1 (19)
--------------
AWAY - 1 (18)

Not much chat on div 3

south morang playing good footy but are they going to run out of gas before finals?????

parkside doing what they do every year playing well getting to grand finals then losing could this be another year ????

st marys having a good year cant see them doing anything come finals but

panton hill new coach i hear so maybe might start playing the footy they should be come finals time will be a BIG treat

rezza well not much can be said havent played 4 qtrs all year maybe time for them to start and maybe if they do play 4 qtrs might just run home well into finals

watts well what can we say should be winning and playing alot better then they have after the year they had last year in div 2 just think they got use to losing to much in div 2 its just the way it is 4 them now

west the lost of young has hurt this club alot late last year they were looking ok for them but this year just cant seem to win a game.

good luck to all this week

Okay, as DOCKERS stated, not a lot going on here so I thought I'd give my 2 cents on how I think Division 3 has panned out so far this year and how finals will turn out.

South Morang
I'll guess I'll start off by saying, I've had to eat a considerable deal of humble pie thanks to the Lions. This time last year I didn't have them leaving Division 3 for another 5 years. Now, they are the best shot at returning to Division 2 out of everyone. Playing good team footy, got some handy pick-ups over summer and have really gelled well. It's shown as they have won 10 games in a row since their disappointing opening contest against St.Marys. Will definetly finish top 2 and with wins against Heidelberg West and Panton Hill before a bye in round 16, they will have top spot sewn up.

Parkside
After a so-so season in 2010 that saw them click at the right time and almost (not quite) win a Grand Final from 4th position, the Devils have been a lot more consistent against teams lower then them, losing to only South Morang. They have been able to find ways to win and are still a genuine Premiership threat to the Lions when you look at the talent they still have. Age on this team may be an issue however. How long are they going to be able to keep going? Will they run out of steam? We will just have to wait and see but for now I can't see them losing 2nd spot and will have to be odds-on favourite to face South Morang in the Grand Final.

St.Marys
Although they didn't earn a finals spot last year, or many wins for that matter, the Burra definetly earn't respect, and that has continued this year. Very respectable year for St.Marys again so far and with 5 games to go, they should finish in the top 4 and get a taste of finals football for the first time. I can't see them going any further then a Preliminary Final as I don't believe they will have the experience of to match Parkside or the talent too match South Morang. Still a challenging final 5 games with an Away game against Panton Hill in Round 16 looming as a danger game while we can look forward to a Round 19 cracker fixtured at Whatmough Park against the Lions. This weeks game against Parkside will tell us whether St.Marys can are contenders or pretenders!

Panton Hill
In my opinion, the only top 4 team that should be really worrying about losing a Finals spot. They have disappointed me this year as I tipped them for the flag before the start of the season. New coach should be a welcome change for the Redbacks and with more key players returning, I can see them consolidating a Finals spot soon. However, with 2 byes in the final 6 rounds and no games against Watsonia and Heidelberg West, the Redbacks need to pick up a win against a Top 3 team to assure a Top 4 finish. Round 18 against Reservoir may determine 4th place. It's up to Panton Hill players, how bad do they want to play finals and have a chance at being promoted?

Reservoir
Separated from the top 4 by only percentage, the Mustangs need to win both games against Watsonia and beat Panton Hill at home in Round 18 to win a finals spot. After a surprising, yet impressive 2010, the Mustangs ran into a buzz-saw that were Hurstbridge and Parkside in last years finals. 2011 has not been as enjoyable, but Reservoir are still a capable team but need to prove it by beating teams below them and claiming a scalp of their own if they want to be around in September.

Watsonia
Haven't really set the world on fire since being relegated. With wins barely coming against Heidelberg West, the Saints (unfortunately) haven't given much of a whimper against the good teams. Sad to see as only 2 years ago this club wasn't a bad Division 2 team. This year was an opportunity to grasp their new surroundings and prove to the league that they should still be in Division 2. This has obviously not come to fruition and the Saints can only be sure that their 2 wins against Heidelberg West will save them from the worst record in Division 3. I can see success for this very proud club if they have the right people in the right jobs and continue to blood the kids.

Heidelberg West
Not a lot can be said about the Hawks. I have the up most respect for the people involved at the club that have been able to keep this historic club running, while in it's darkest hour. Obviously losing Bennett Osbourne and Aidan Young left major wholes in this team. Positives can come from their continued fighting performances against better teams as well as the form of the Fonua brothers, who came over from Reservoir. Would love to see them win a game this season. Let's hope next year the Hawks can be more competitive as they have been at the bottom for a long time and deserve some success.

In summary, I don't believe the competition has been as even this season as it was last year. Their have definetly been big names come to Division 3 and from what I've heard and seen, the standard has been pretty good.
Good Luck to all teams this week and for the rest of 2011.

A good summary of the season to this date by WorkHorse. And with six rounds to go one would think that the Lions and Devils are safe to play finals with the other two spots still up for grabs.

Round 14.
Reservoir vs. Watsonia
The Mustang's fate for a finals berth is really in their hands over the next five weeks and they can start this week by recording a big percentage boosting win over a disappointing Saints outfit that promised so much pre-season and hasn't delivered when required.

St Mary's vs. Parkside
An interesting game with the Devils looking to put a two-game break on the challengers for the double chance. The Sainters on the other hand need to prove that they are creditable finals contenders with a win against other like teams. Just think the Devils will be too experienced and take the points.

South Morang vs. West Heidelberg
With the return of JW to the side, the Lions have only gotten stronger and should be able to account for the Hawks reasonably comfortably.

Panton Hill - Bye
No doubt the Redbacks will be eyeing results as they look towards some important matches in the coming weeks.

Hey WorkHorse....I've discovered your true identity !!!

You're Mike Sheahan aren't you ???!!!!

Agree with Chet ... good summary and well stated.

Round 14.
Reservoir vs. Watsonia
'horse has got it right too ... Watsy needs changes at the helm so as not to lose the decent youngsters down there.

St Mary's vs. Parkside

Panton Hill - Bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, it's definetly better then being Carro!

Reservoir vs Watsonia
Reservoir will climb back above the Redbacks with a win this week. If we see the Watsonia team that nearly knocked off the Mustangs earlier in the year than the result could go either way. Reservoir to be too good at home and win by 30 points.

St.Marys vs Parkside
St.Marys need to improve their finals credentials while Parkside will look to rectify last weeks loss. St.Marys will come out fired up and may give the Devils a scare, but Parkside should prevail in the end and will pull away in the last quarter. Parkside by 22 points.

South Morang vs Heidelberg West
Not a lot can be said, Heidelberg West will show fight as always but Morang are hitting their straps and will easily account for the Hawks.
South Morang by 90 points.

well done workhorse, very good summary.
Morang will easily account for the hawks at home, 87 points
ressa are too good for watsy and will prove it tomorrow, 54 points.
st marys parkside should be a good game. both sides have alot to prove. saints could edge closer to second spot and put a another shovel to cement into there spot for finals. but parkside should bounce back after a disappointing show last week against morang. parkside 21 points.

Agree with Chet ... good summary and well stated.

Round 14.
Reservoir vs. Watsonia
'horse has got it right too ... Watsy needs changes at the helm so as not to lose the decent youngsters down there.

St Mary's vs. Parkside

Panton Hill - Bye

I agree a very good summary by WH. :thumbsu:
I do not understand the comment above "Watsy needs changes at the helm so as not to lose the decent youngsters down there"? :confused:
Players have already been spoken to and have committed to next year. They are a very good bunch who get on very well together and know that another year under their collective belts they will improve. The club has committed itself to youth but 1 or 2 big bodies of senior players would definitely be a benefit.
Unfortunately this year their is not 1 game they have played for 4 quarters which will hopefully change tomorrow. They have matched it with sides for half a game and then fallen badly this year so I guess hopefully we put it down to experience and they learn you must play 4 quarters of footy to win.

Watsonia
Parkside
Sth Morang

first time poster long time reader thanks for having me boys n girls, think the top four this year is gunna be very interesting, South Morang just keep rolling with the punches and i thought if anyone was gunna give them a shake it was gunna be the devils of parkside down at pitcher park 2 weeks ago and they didnt come close! So whos next in line? i went down to Ford park last week as my boys had the bye this week and saw a pretty ordinary game of footy (with all due respect the ground was average at best) St marys took the points just through pure foot speed parkside just looked tired all day but i still think they'll bounce back, this leaves me wondering my boys are starting to get key players back at the right time of year, a new coach brings new enthusiasm i reckon, reservoir for mine are gone! So after all that im very confident if its outta St Marys, Parkside and the mighty Redbacks to make the GF against the Lions im very confident that we'll get there!! what are others thoughts?

Still plenty of interest with, at this stage, only South Morang as a definate finals contender. No points for predicting that one ! Parkside appear to have the double chance at their mercy with St Mary's needing probably one more top-four win to secure a finals berth. As for the final spot, Panton Hill are probably favoured at the moment. Anyhow, on to this week's matches:

Watsonia vs. Parkside
The Devils are smarting after last week's loss and realise that their grip on the double chance has been loosened. So don't expect them to show any mercy to the Saints who were woeful last week.

St Mary's vs. Reservoir
The Sainters showed that they can match it with a top side and deserve their current position on the ladder. A win would all but tie up a finals spot but the Mustangs won't go down without a fight as they also need to keep winning. Should be a good game at the windswept park and fancy that the Mustangs may just cause the surprise.

South Morang vs. Panton Hill
Can it be third time lucky for the Redbacks as they try to recapture their early season form to remain in the finals race and hunt down the Lions. The form lines say no and with some solid ins for both sides the Lions should continue on their winning way.

Heidelberg West - Bye

My boys went well on the weekend didnt they?? Are we back in contention or what??? WOWWEE! what a win! Great to see the boys getting it together at the business end of the year.

My boys went well on the weekend didnt they?? Are we back in contention or what??? WOWWEE! what a win! Great to see the boys getting it together at the business end of the year.
Once again this club is getting ahead of itself. Don't count your chickens before they hatch

Once again this club is getting ahead of itself. Don't count your chickens before they hatch

not counting any farm animals just yet OP, gotta admit tho it was a gutsy effort by the boys from the hills, cant count us out just yet still alot of footy to be played and we are just starting to hit our straps!

Four rounds to go and the jockeying for a finals spot is certainly heating up. Amd this week's matches may still not make it any clearer:

Round 16.

Two big wins n the past weeks has the Sainters looking as though they will be an active finals participant while the Redbacks surprised many last week toppling the premiership favourites. This really is a close one to call and strangely enough the Redbacks are listed as the home team but the game is at the windswept Ford Park! Confidence counts for a lot in football and the Sainters are certainly playing with that at the moment.

Heidelberg West vs. Watsonia
Certainly the last chance for the Hawks to register a win in what has been a most disappointing season while the Saints will also be looking for their last win of the season. Can't see the Hawks breaking the goose egg here.

Parkside vs. Reservoir
The Devil's hold on the double chance is still precarious while a loss by the Mustangs will make finals action that much further away. The Devil's form has been more consistent than the Mustangs and with some experienced players running into finals form they should get the points.

South Morang - Bye
A good opportunity for the Lions to rest the bodies before the run-in to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back