Northern Football League Division 2 - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that he wasn't trying to play the ball, but its a contact sport and he was doing exactly that. Making contact and getting one of your players out of the direct contest. Being 6ft and 100kg I was one of the guys that struggled on saturday and the only chance we had of making an impact on the game was physically, there was no malice or intent to injure the stars player. It was simply a good old fashioned shirtfront and I would have been disgusted if Patty was reported.
Nothing wrong with that:thumbsu: I thought it changed the game though. If this was AFL, he would've of gottin a couple of weeks for sure. I was also impressed with our guys, i was waiting to see how we would handle the wet, with our guys haven't exactly got the bigger bodies, and they presented themselves well in the conditions.

Now i know that Heidelberg West have a big problem winning games and dont win to many of them. But i was quite amused seeing their theme song posted on their website.

Club Song
sung to the tune of
"Road To Gundagai"

There's a team not so old And their colours are brown and gold,
And they call us
West Heidelberg

Oh the ball that we
are kicking,
The team that we
are licking,
Is quite a sight to see

Oh you oughta see our boys go up for a mark,
They go up so high,
they don't come down
till dark

Any plum,
And pud,
Are the Westerners
any good,
We're on the road to a PREMIERSHIP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What does 'The team that we are licking' actualy mean?...Very interested to find out, also noticed that Aiden Young has been in the best for Heidelberg West for a few weeks now so well done mate, look forward to playing you's in Round 9
It's not really a sight i would want to to see.:D

One thing that really impressed me about the stars players and all the supporters was how much they seemed to actually love the club and be playing for the jumper. The players were overwhelmed with the win and the supporters also. It really seemed to mean alot to them winning for the team.

One thing that really impressed me about the stars players and all the supporters was how much they seemed to actually love the club and be playing for the jumper. The players were overwhelmed with the win and the supporters also. It really seemed to mean alot to them winning for the team.
Thanks for the comments, we are starting to build, as you could see from Saturdays game, better conditions would've seen more attendance, but we are slowly progressing. Cheers:thumbsu: all the best for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the comments, we are starting to build, as you could see from Saturdays game, better conditions would've seen more attendance, but we are slowly progressing. Cheers:thumbsu: all the best for the rest of the season.

Fitzroy Stars only need a ground and some facilities to become a force,they are very lucky to have former Collingwood player Bruce(Pancho) Gonsalves as general manager his overall football knowledge plus his no-nonsense personality will be invaluable

In true wintery conditions the Macleod boys were simply outclassed by better opposition. We always suspected a tough game against the Pingers and, true to form, that is exactly what we received. To be neck and neck at 3/4 time and lose by the best part of 3 goals was disappointing. My better players for Macleod were Danny Nakervis, Scott and Lovett. For the home side, Hollow, Reid and Lirosi were easily the best.

MACLEOD BOY: What were your thoughts on the game, we were certainly disappointing!!

GHOST: It was good to catch up with you on Saturday, though it wasn't exactly great whether for drinking....those coffees went down a lot better than the Vic cans were. We discussed the game briefly after the final siren but what were your thoughts?

simply didnt adjust to the conditions quick enough. it was raining for 4 quarters and it took us till the start of the 3rd quarter to stop playing like it was sunny and 25. and u simply cant do that against any side. i think both sides were evenly matched. it was just epping was playing wet weather footy for 4 quarter. and full credit to epping for there last quarter. all the macleod boys were putting in 110% in that last quarter to try get the ball up forward to score but epping just simply didnt alow us to and when we did they were very good and quick and getting the ball outa there. which brings me to my next point. i think we could of done with ben McCrohan and or danny blackwood and or scott dunbar in the team. they certanly would of been handy in the conditions and i think ben McCrohan and dunbar (as he showed in the twos) would of been a real good avenue to goal in those conditions. would of been good to have those boys in.
but well done to epping they played a great game.
i thort number 19 and 2 were very good for 4 quarters.
and as for the macleod boys nankervis was easily our best. he just didnt have enough help.
the most disapointing thing was we played as a team from the 1st bounce for 4 quarters last week but this week it took us till the start of the 3rd quarter. that for me was the most disapointing thing. we have to start playing more consistant 4 quarter footy. not this 2nd half BS that we are serving up atm. next week against rezza should be a very good test to see if we can bounce back

Fitzroy Stars only need a ground and some facilities to become a force,they are very lucky to have former Collingwood player Bruce(Pancho) Gonsalves as general manager his overall football knowledge plus his no-nonsense personality will be invaluable
Very true, We are very lucky to have big Bruce, he has been a saving grace for our club and working tirelessly, ("loyalty") down at the stars, it is a big job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predecessor
While these tossers argue over which team is going to win the "who gives a fat rats ass cup" between Macleod and Ressa, who do you all think are:
-the real contenders
-underdogs and...
-just plain no good

Oh and by the way...Macleod by 10 goals

The real contenders from what I have seen would have to be Whittlesea. I haven't seen the other top 4 or 5 teams play but they have been easily 10 goals better then any other team we have played. Well drilled and a very professional outfit.

Underdogs I think are thomastown. Even though I havent seen them get around I know most of their players and they have played together a long time and have a good unit of local grown talent.

Mernda just have not been able to perform to the standard that we should be at. We have lost a few games by small margins that we just haven't been able to stand up when we should have. Injuries were an excuse early in the year but at this point we just plainly aren't playing to our potential.

in adding my two cents worth, i would say that whitsea and thommo are the only real contenders with probably macl and lower the next best.
the underdogs could be stars, if they continue to improve and appreciate the big grounds for the finals
the pretenders are definately wats and epping.
as for the no gooders, it will be the teams that fall into div.3 like heid west, pant hill, resv and hursty, with the final two spots to be between morang, mernda and parkside.
icon4.gif

The top four at season's end in order.

Whittlesea
Lower Plenty
Thomastown
Malceod

Which teams are vying for the last 2 spots in order.

Parkside, Watsonia, Fitzroy Stars, Epping are all a good chance.
South Morang, Mernda and Hursty will be up against it to make finals.

Making up the numbers

Reservoir
Panton Hill
Heidleberg west

The real deal-Whittlesea and Thomastown, which makes for 1 hell of a game in rd 10.It could almost be a minor premiership.

Not to far behind them are Lower Plenty who i think could upset anyone on their day as they already have Thomastown.

Macleod are certanties to play finals but i think their ship has sailed at a premiership.

Watsonia will make finals but wont be doing a Lalor from last year coming from that possie to win a flag.

And although i'd love to see the newbies Fitzroy Stars beat off the slime to make a debut in finals it might just be out of reach for them yet. Epping to make finals unfortunately!

Div 3-Heidleberg west, Panton Hill, Resa, Hursty, Sth Morang and Mernda

CLEOD 9: It was certainly a pleasure meeting you last Saturday. The weather was very unfavourable but this did not deter from what we both agreed was a great game of football.

Macleod Boy put it best when he said that Epping played better footy that suited the wet conditions. At 3/4 time I honestly believed that your boys would finish the stronger of the 2 sides and grind out a victory. To Epping's credit, they played a fantastic last quarter and thoroughly deserved the 4 points. Better players for Epping were their skipper Hollow, Lirosi and Haberman. Whilst for your bloys Cleod 9, I agree with Nankervis (he was a stand out) and I also thought that Scott and Wilding were reasonably good.

Not many reports from other games. Can anyone share their thoughts on Whittlesea's and Thomastown's efforts last week??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomos effort was fantastic !
Moved the ball well even in the wet weather some real stand outs holmes was good in the ruck while the forward line seemed to get goals frequently !
South Mornag tried hard had the ball inside 50 only 6 times less than Thomo but just couldnt break through !
I think Thomo are the real deal..... havent played whitlesea yet but I think they are the best team we have played !
South Morang had a heap of under 19's playing again a few looked pretty good in very trying conditions !

FYI for general information and histroy, this is who Fitzroy Stars oval in Thornbury is named after Sir Doug Nicholls oval once it's up and running should be next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=59827
Trained at Sir Doug Nicholls ground last night, and boy does it have grass, it still needs a lot of work on it though "a lot of work", as it's very uneven, can't wait till it gets redeveloped, it a nice size ground, and lights ups very well, hope we can accommodate night matches next year? a lot of sides would be impressed.:thumbsu:

Trained at Sir Doug Nicholls ground last night, and boy does it have grass, it still needs a lot of work on it though "a lot of work", as it's very uneven, can't wait till it gets redeveloped, it a nice size ground, and lights ups very well, hope we can accommodate night matches next year? a lot of sides would be impressed.:thumbsu:

It was certainly great to get on there, had an awesome feel about it when you rocked up with the lights beaming down onto the ground. But sadly i highly doubt the oval will be ready for the 2009 season with the World Indigenous conference being held in Melbourne and they will be using the oval which is going to hold up the process:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:, no idea why they couldnt use the trotting tracks across the road from Northland or something like that as this will definitely hold our club back. So i think 2010 will be achieved as long as there are no other set backs.:mad:

Why is Epping so unpredictable?...South Morang and Parkside get over them but they are able to get over Macloed, did the weather suit them on Saturday?...Is it just a case on whether they show up to play or have they just gotten lucky?...Its very hard to know these things just by looking at end results.

sound like our ground at rumba, i am sure that in the next couple of years the league ground will be one of the best in the nfl.

Why is Epping so unpredictable?...South Morang and Parkside get over them but they are able to get over Macloed, did the weather suit them on Saturday?...Is it just a case on whether they show up to play or have they just gotten lucky?...Its very hard to know these things just by looking at end results.
Epping played the wet conditions perfectly, not sure what they are like on a dry track but on the weekend they just played to the conditions... well done to them:thumbsu:

Looking forward to heading down to that hole Macleod this week to watch the mighty 2 blues take care of the chokers from Macleod. I heard there are a few very handy inclusions this week for Reservoir that have been wanting to catch up with the Macleod boys for a couple of years. Ill be out at the huddle to hear my old mate puff to see how he goes, im only going to be able to hang around in the rooms for 1 beer because i fly to france that night for 6 weeks. All you Macleod people open your wallets and buy me the drinks I deserve for telling you how it is.

see you saturday ladies xoxo

DREAMTIME CURTAIN RAISER AT THE MCG
SANTA TERESA v FITZROY STARS
SATURDAY 24 MAY AT 4.30PM EST / 4PM CST ON NINE IMPARJA
</SPAN>​

The annual Dreamtime round in the AFL calendar pays tribute to the contribution of indigenous Australians to the footy code. In 2008, as a curtain raiser to the main Essendon v Richmond game, two indigenous teams will play on the revered ground of the MCG, and Nine Imparja will broadcast the clash on Saturday 24 May.

The teams are Ltyentye Apurte from Santa Teresa in the Northern Territory and the Fitzroy Stars from regional Victoria. Santa Teresa’s win (pictured above, centre) in the NT Army Cup in Darwin in October last year contributed to their selection for this match, whilst the Fitzroy Stars have had three victories in the Victorian Aboriginal Youth Sport Recreation (VAYSAR) Statewide Football Carnival this year. The Fitzroy Stars team had not played as a team for the 14 years prior due to the collapse of the Melbourne North Football League in 1994. So, this should be a lively match-up!

The Fitzroy team are so delighted to have been selected for the Dreamtime game, they have re-organised their season’s schedule, and now their next scheduled match is the day after the MCG game, against Panton Hill Football Club. Ltyentye Apurte have a big schedule ahead prior to the game: they will travel to Melbourne and visit Puckapunyal Army Base, play a practice game against a team from the police force, and also attend a civic reception in Seymour. On the day before the big match, the team will have a training run with Richmond and then visit the Essendon Football Club.

AFL Films are covering the match, with siren to siren commentary by Charlie King and Luke Darcy.
Saturday 24 May at 4.30pm EST / 4pm CST on Nine Imparja

Originally Posted by Fitzroy Stars

Epping played the wet conditions perfectly, not sure what they are like on a dry track but on the weekend they just played to the conditions... well done to them:thumbsu:

I Watched them against Morang and they (Epping) were in control for 3 qtrs and had the game by the scruff at 3/4 time. They then missed 3-4 sitters early in the last which could have had them 6-7 gls in front. To Morangs' credit they persisted and it payed off with an unlikely but deserved win. I don't think they're as bad as portrayed. The effort at Mernda should not be underestimated as this was like a 'Mega" grand final for the Demons to finally play against Epping on a day when Patty Curan played his 300th. I would have thought that not too many sides may have gotten close that day given the occasion. I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.

wonder if any other sides can boast such a large part of the senior team is made up of their junior club..thomastown are setting the right example, not buying success but building it...:D:D

wonder if any other sides can boast such a large part of the senior team is made up of their junior club..thomastown are setting the right example, not buying success but building it...:D:D
I have watched morang in a few games this year and noticed they have at least 10 u19s playing in the ones as well so they are on the right track as one of them kicked 11 goals against ressa so i take my hat of to them for giving the kids a go.

Off the top of my head, Lower had 14 players in last week's side who came from their junior affiliate Research. This season have been fielding a very young side, with about 3/4 of the team under 23. Clubs who try to buy success usually have short term success, but ultimately cant maintain it. Building around your juniors promotes club loyalty and from there you can look to top up with just a few carefully selected recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back