Northern Football League Division 2 - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
there would be a few nervous boys right about now thinking of tomorrow! looks like whittlesea, and the 2 diamo teams are favourites! anyone think the other sides can get up?

there would be a few nervous boys right about now thinking of tomorrow! looks like whittlesea, and the 2 diamo teams are favourites! anyone think the other sides can get up?
the battle in the main game will be great, not sure what the head to head stats are between the coaches but the both know each others styles.
heart says Lower, head says Whittlesea. You never know, if Whittlesea gets up then some of the flogs on here that bag out the bug may have to eat some humble pie.

the battle in the main game will be great, not sure what the head to head stats are between the coaches but the both know each others styles.
heart says Lower, head says Whittlesea. You never know, if Whittlesea gets up then some of the flogs on here that bag out the bug may have to eat some humble pie.

Preview coming, but for now an answer to Rompa's question.
The "Bug" has been in charge of the Eagles since 2008, while this is the "Medallist's" second season at the Bears.
Coaches Record - Head to Head
Season 2009: 2/0 in Bugden's favour.
Season 2010: 3/1 in Bugden's favour.
Teams Record - Head to Head.
Pre Season 2000: Lower Plenty 4, Whittlesea 4
Post Season 2005: Lower Plenty 3, Whittlesea 8 (Only 1 Lower Plenty win in last three seasons)

The "Bug" has been in charge of the Eagles since 2008, while this is the "Medallist's" second season at the Bears.
Post Season 2005: Lower Plenty 3, Whittlesea 8 (Only 1 Lower Plenty win in last three seasons)

All means nothing come 2.15pm tomorrow! Anything can and quite possibly will happen.

D2-GF-1049006_1_M.jpg

Here we are, on the verge of the biggest game of the season, and for the majority of the players on the field, the biggest-ever game in their football lives. And there are still plenty of questions to be answered:
# Has Whittlesea learnt from last season and effectively paid their dues
# Will the Grand Final curse continue to haunt the Eagles and will their poor finals record also be a factor
# Will the fresh legs of the Eagles prevail
& How will Lower Plenty players handle the big ground
& Will the energy-sapping win by the Bears last Sunday play a factor in the outcome
& Have the Bears got a last minute selection change up their sleeve
* Will it be a repeat of 1999
All these questions, and plenty more, will be answered sometime during tomorrow afternoons game. Whittlesea go into the game as hot favourites, as they have been all season long, and will be super confident of taking out the big one. Their forward line is most potent, with Fairchild, Murray and some nippy smalls and Lower Plenty will need to be careful as to who they match up on these. Around the ground it probably is an even matchup with maybe the Bears having the slight advantage although the Eagles Page should be able to dominate the ruck duels. The Bears forwards haven't been anywhere near as dominant as they were during the season and the fall-off of form of leading goal scorer Gill must be a worry. Apart from the fact that they have been the form side all season long, a number of other factors clearly point to an Eagles win by around 21 points.

Note: The Eagles only have a 33% win rate in finals over the last 20 seasons compared to the Bears 50%. The Eagles have lost both Grand Finals contested in this period while the Bears have won one of the two they have contested. And the one the Bears won was against the Eagles in 1999 (at North Heidelberg).

In the middle game of a big days activities, the dominant Diamond Creek should stop the fast finishing Mernda. While in the first match, it should be a close and intense contest with Lower Plenty upsetting Diamond Creek.

i was thinking of the games the 2 coached against each other including when the great man coach Macleod, when he took over at Lower the team was young and still had a lot to learn, he has done a top job to get them where they are now, and i am sure he will have a few tricks up his sleeve for saturday.(as will the bug).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByTheLight

i was thinking of the games the 2 coached against each other including when the great man coach Macleod, when he took over at Lower the team was young and still had a lot to learn, he has done a top job to get them where they are now, and i am sure he will have a few tricks up his sleeve for saturday.(as will the bug).

Harmes didn't coach Lower Plenty in 2008, and this is Bugden's third season in charge of the Eaglkes. So they have only been coaching against each other for two seasons (2009, 2010).

rompa, I have watched Lower a fair bit this season & I think Harmsey has improved the playing group week by week to get them to this stage, trust in each other & self belief, he has done a fantastic job this season with the club.

On the other hand the Bug seems to upset his playing group & take them out of their comfort zones, this may come back to haunt him?

congrats to the eagles! the bug and his men have made a few on here eat humble pie!! snowden was very unlucky to not get BOG but weldone to no.14 Hobbs, good pick up by whitt at start of year! will be on the prowl for a few more come the next few months! Can they match Macloed and stay up in div 1 come the end of 2011!!!!

congrats to the eagles! the bug and his men have made a few on here eat humble pie!! snowden was very unlucky to not get BOG but weldone to no.14 Hobbs, good pick up by whitt at start of year! will be on the prowl for a few more come the next few months! Can they match Macloed and stay up in div 1 come the end of 2011!!!!

Agree, Snowden was very unlucky. Was all over it and talk amongst the group i was standing with was Snowdon BOG. Well done to the eagles!

The reserves game, for those that seen it, was worth the $12 admission on its own, Mernda looked as good as gone in the third quarter and to fight back and take the game by a point was an incredible result. A great game to watch.:thumbsu:

So is it acknowledged by all that Peter Bugden is the Coach of the Year? To the shitkickers that have been on his case for ages, what do you say now? Not that anyone with any brains cared about your opinions however misguided and pathetic! Those who Know Buggy have had their confidence vindicated. To the class acts from Mernda who suggested they were only staying on to watch Whittlesea "choke", suffer in ya jocks you losers! Hope your seconds flag takes pride of place at the Laurimar Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is it acknowledged by all that Peter Bugden is the Coach of the Year? To the shitkickers that have been on his case for ages, what do you say now? Not that anyone with any brains cared about your opinions however misguided and pathetic! Those who Know Buggy have had their confidence vindicated. To the class acts from Mernda who suggested they were only staying on to watch Whittlesea "choke", suffer in ya jocks you losers! Hope your seconds flag takes pride of place at the Laurimar Oval.
Your user name is quite fitting "Half Wit", see you back in divvy 2 real soon.

As a snitch, it is my duty to inform you, that jealously is a stinky cologne.
Well done to whittlesea, if snitching from the ditch of the divvy 2 trenches has snitched me anything, it's that you are ready for div 1.

Cruiser, from Mernda and a Collingwood supporter; and I thought Einstein was dead! Ask Aqua or Mark Jerram if any promises were made to Sth Morang players. I've only missed one Eagles game this year V Mernda early round, Volpe has been a great contributor all year as has Troy Jinnette.
I think The Bug and his player's are firmly focussed on Saturday's Game and go in quietly confident.

So you agree Declan Skehan wasnt good enough to stay in the side this year?...i'm sure Pete had his reasons but i still think he deserved a spot in the 22.He maybe a little old but very strong and fit,great ball user and good teamate!...unfortunate he wasnt out there.

Bit unfair to pull Jerram out of the closet it was 2 years ago bud & he barely played much seniors,he never hit full fitness/confidance that year cuz of a ankle injury....& he wasnt "as freindly" with Bugden as some "Half Whits" assumed!.

* Yes we take pride in our reserves winning & yes we are loving the fact our reserves won the flag...& yes i got my moneys worth watching that Grand Final!

Congratulations Whittlesea, you were the best team all year and showed it yesterday. Whittlesea seamed to have a bit more structure then Lower Plenty but it still wasn't an easy game.

Commiserations to Lower, showed great character after falling 4 goals down in the 2nd quarter to lift and end up in front I think at one stage in the 3rd quarter.

Good Luck to Whittlesea in Div 1 2011
Good Luck to Lower Plenty next year, they will definetely have to be one of the favourites for the flag now.

On behalf of the Whittlesea Football Club, I would like to thank Lower Plenty for the game, it was played in a great spirit. For the knockers that state that it was the worst grand final they have ever seen, obviously you have never played football and don't know anything about pressure.

After our loss to Macleod last year, I was told by a Macleod Committee member that you need to lose one to win one and how right they were, you will learn so much from the loss and be a better club for it. I know the hurt you are feeling right now but you will all be better for it and 2011 will be your year.

Also congratulations to Mernda on your Reserves Premiership, it will be a shame that we do not get to play again next year for the Brock/Russell Cup, maybe we can organise a practice match in the new year.

As for Whittlesea, I never thought that winning the 2010 Division 2 Premiership would feel so good, it has taken 22 years so they do not come easy and we know it wont be easy next year but we are all enjoying it at the moment and know we have a lot of hard work ahead of us in Division 1 but are looking forward to the challenge.
GAWL0422_resize.JPG

Posted the following on the Division 1 Thread and thought it was also appropiate here. Definately not knocking Whittlesea, but just stating some observations and history:

Agree my old friend. Congratulations to the Eagles on finally attaining promotion, they have been at the top of Division 2 for the past couple of seasons and deserve their chance to match it with the big boys. But they will certainly have to be aggressive in the summer to recruit some bigger and faster bodied players. I wonder if they have the readies to do so. I just hope that they haven't fallen for the old three-card trick that a good number of past Division 2 clubs that have achieved promotion have by filling their side with players who couldn't or didn't want to make it in Division 1 and others who had finished their Division1 careers and looking for some glory in the lower division. If you look thru their team list yesterday they do have a number of players who fall into one of these categories. But as I said, good luck to them and we'll watch how they recruit over the summer .

Posted the following on the Division 1 Thread and thought it was also appropiate here. Definately not knocking Whittlesea, but just stating some observations and history:

Agree my old friend. Congratulations to the Eagles on finally attaining promotion, they have been at the top of Division 2 for the past couple of seasons and deserve their chance to match it with the big boys. But they will certainly have to be aggressive in the summer to recruit some bigger and faster bodied players. I wonder if they have the readies to do so. I just hope that they haven't fallen for the old three-card trick that a good number of past Division 2 clubs that have achieved promotion have by filling their side with players who couldn't or didn't want to make it in Division 1 and others who had finished their Division1 careers and looking for some glory in the lower division. If you look thru their team list yesterday they do have a number of players who fall into one of these categories. But as I said, good luck to them and we'll watch how they recruit over the summer .

Well you started your comment off well but stumbled at the final hurdle, Would you like to comment which players fall into those two sections you are talking about! It seems you may not no much about the team at all!!! but yes as all teams need to when going up a div they need too get some players to buid on what they allready have! Most of the team played all there juniors at whittlesea... Infact 8 (only 2 first year players @ club) players didn't play there juniors at whittlesea, and one of them has played seniors there for almost a decade, so I'm sure none of them come into the section of not wanting to play div 1, as anyone wants the best for there club!!

So you agree Declan Skehan wasnt good enough to stay in the side this year?...i'm sure Pete had his reasons but i still think he deserved a spot in the 22.He maybe a little old but very strong and fit,great ball user and good teamate!...unfortunate he wasnt out there.

Bit unfair to pull Jerram out of the closet it was 2 years ago bud & he barely played much seniors,he never hit full fitness/confidance that year cuz of a ankle injury....& he wasnt "as freindly" with Bugden as some "Half Whits" assumed!.

* Yes we take pride in our reserves winning & yes we are loving the fact our reserves won the flag...& yes i got my moneys worth watching that Grand Final!

Shelton, Farrely,Vasileski back next year?

Most definately, there are no reasons they cannot match the majority of the D1 sides, they will have a huge home ground advantage like Macleod did, especially early on in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back