utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/04/3235694.htm

North's Daw racially taunted in VFL

A man was thrown out of the Port Melbourne football ground on Saturday afternoon for racially abusing Sudanese-born Kangaroos forward Majak Daw during a VFL clash.

North Melbourne Football Club says the man taunted Daw in the first quarter of the game between its VFL affiliate Werribee and Port Melbourne this afternoon.

Police say no one has made an official complaint.

In football terms its much better, Jimmy & Phil copped it the worse I've ever seen.

In general it still amazes me what people say and believe but I think is has improved. Although we still have a long way to go!

Yes I think we have managed to progress tremendously in our regard for and treatment of indigenous Australians thanks in large part to Nicky Winmar and a number of Aboriginal footballers. However the community as a whole has a long way to go when it comes to African and Middle Eastern born Australians. Majak will expose a lot of these idiots and in the process, he will elevate all of us as we respond to morons around us and make the choice - to remain silent or stand up for what's right. And that's a principle well worth riding the big gee gee.

In football terms its much better, Jimmy & Phil copped it the worse I've ever seen.

In general it still amazes me what people say and believe but I think is has improved. Although we still have a long way to go!

I agree with this. I'm old enough to remember the crap Jimmy and Phil got - some weeks it was like you'd turned on a tap that just ran for four quarters of relentless abuse. In hindsight, there's something quite ironic about watching a big white (English/Greek/Italian etc) man shout 'get back to Arnhem Land where you belong, you black b******', but at the time it wasn't funny.

It bothers me that this crap is still going on - even just this once. It bothers me that DMac had to get involved, that the people around this idiot didn't do something.

You just can't help some people being born stupid can you? Totally unacceptable, and has been for a long, long time. If people want to yell out at the footy, there's plenty they can say...but racial abuse is a no-no.

Majak is an outstanding role model, and an outstanding person...he's one of those players who will be loved by not only North supporters but by all footy fans (well, all supporters except for one Port Melbourne supporter obviously).

Hopefully the man thrown out is not only banned from footy games, but if he's got any decency he'll pen an apology to Majak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why? Name a country that doesn't have racist pigs. Unfortunately is all to common.

The guys obviously a complete tosser but that doesn't mean the majority of us are.

Don't mean to pick on you here but the main board has a thread on this topic and most of the responses are along this line of being patriotically defensive which i find somehow ironic when it comes to racial prejudice.

Hopefully in eight years time Kevin Sheedy can recruit a Sudanese player to GWS and then invent Sudanese players and lead a campaign to stamp this shit out.

It’s one of the unfortunate traits of our consciousness as nation I believe.

I went to the Crows/Collingwood game last week and sat through the ”Welcome to Country” ceremony before the match…I have sat through and actually delivered many of these ceremonies (acknowledge the traditional owners) myself when delivering papers at conferences and have had no problems whatsoever with them…I actually think they should be delivered at public events as we should acknowledge the traditional owners of the land. Anyway, the other people I was with at the game were pretty silent during the ceremony but once it ended remarked that it wasn’t a ritual that they enjoyed and that it was a complete waste of time. I didn’t reply as it would have started a conversation that would have erupted into something larger and given that the people I was with I hadn’t seen for some years, I wasn’t going to see them again for some time again (maybe never) and I didn’t think I would change their minds.

Anyway, it is interesting when you look at these sorts of people. They are the ones who barrack for their teams who have indigenous players (or players of foreign lineage) and are happy when they are kicking goals, and they will celebrate with a doner kebab, pizza or a No. 35 from the Chinese take away…and then wash it down with a foreign beer and an hour or so later maybe a Latte….

Majak is on TAC Cup Future Stars this arvo…

cheers
col

its totally disgusting that this can still happen these day but a 60 year old man doing this is even more terrible im a water person for werribee but i was up the other end of the ground when this occured if i had of heard him say it i would have thrown my water bottles at him maj or let alone anyone does not deserve this crap

It’s one of the unfortunate traits of our consciousness as nation I believe.

I went to the Crows/Collingwood game last week and sat through the ”Welcome to Country” ceremony before the match…I have sat through and actually delivered many of these ceremonies (acknowledge the traditional owners) myself when delivering papers at conferences and have had no problems whatsoever with them…I actually think they should be delivered at public events as we should acknowledge the traditional owners of the land. Anyway, the other people I was with at the game were pretty silent during the ceremony but once it ended remarked that it wasn’t a ritual that they enjoyed and that it was a complete waste of time.

cheers
col

It got more ok to dismiss it when our state govt said it was a waste of time. And open racism will keep making a comeback while most of our political "leaders" encourage the idea our right to say what we think, however ill-informed, is more important than our fellow citizens' right to live with a sense of self-worth. It reflects on us as a nation because a second-level footy competition sets higher standards than most politicians. The good part of that is sport ultimately has more potential to change minds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast North's Daw racially taunted in VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back