Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

how the hell do they know how many people were at the BBQ I was at on Sat'day.

I sat and watched the NRL grand final at home by myself, is there data to say that no one else was there, yet sat'day I was there about about 20 mates??

How many watched the NRL GF because it was the only thing on? Being in prime time also is a big advantage.

I watched it for two minutes and then changed the channel. The game is one dimensional, run, pass backwards, get tackled, standup, roll ball backwards with foot, pick up, pass backwards, and then the whole process starts again.

Much prefer union, at least their is some variation in the game.

I watched it for two minutes and then changed the channel. The game is one dimensional, run, pass backwards, get tackled, standup, roll ball backwards with foot, pick up, pass backwards, and then the whole process starts again.

Be interesting to see the figures for Melbourne when the Storm are not playing in the RL GF as the game bores most Australian Football fans shitless..
Canberra vs Nth QLD GF on TV would be sensational for the thugby you would think:D

OZTAM regionals do not count Tasmania. A huge market (over 500,000) for AFL.

They only count places like Townsville, Gold Coast, Newcastle and Illawarra where there are huge rugby league followings.

You've gotta keep it simple, there is a lot of Sydney people watching.

I know its not really relvant but can anyone tell me where Rugby League get all their money. Even the worst AFL clubs still have higher crowd figures than the best NRL club and the AFL television deal is worth more money than the NRL tv deal. Where does the NRL get all its money?

how the hell do they know how many people were at the BBQ I was at on Sat'day.

I sat and watched the NRL grand final at home by myself, is there data to say that no one else was there, yet sat'day I was there about about 20 mates??

me too.

Having spent a long time living in Brisbane, I can say that the tradition for NRL grand final parties just never was there.

Whereas I went to countless AFL grand Final parties in Brisbane.

You have to wonder how they calculate the massive number of Grand FInal parties (both here and overseas) into the ratings mix.

I know its not really relvant but can anyone tell me where Rugby League get all their money. Even the worst AFL clubs still have higher crowd figures than the best NRL club and the AFL television deal is worth more money than the NRL tv deal. Where does the NRL get all its money?

Not entirely true.
The Broncos are the big exception.

They average just under what the Sydney Swans do in terms of crowds and in the last couple of years averaged more than the Lions (hasn't happened for quite some time).

But they have been, for a long time, a one team town, so you'd expect at least 30,000 a fortnight in a city of almost 2 million to attend a game for the most popular sport. If they didn't there would have to be something very wrong ...

I think the point is is that Aussie Rules is a much bigger sport in Australia than Rugby League. Only an idiot would claim otherwise.

Rugby League is the sport in Sydney which is also the home of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Explains why Hopoate stuck his digit up his fellow player's arses and why Rugby League supporters come on this forum from time to time for some punishment...they love that masochistic stuff.

League is the only game (apart from union) where you have to fall over to score.

I've often wondered that.

The Storm has a big advantage in its mouthpiece, the Herald Sun, Melbourne's most popular paper.

News Limited 100% own both, so they go to huge lengths to give the Storm every ounce of coverage they can squeeze out of it without causing too much of a stir.

As a result, the Melbourne Storm regularly feature from cover to cover in the HUN, much more than the Swans or Lions do in the Brisbane or Sydney papers, that's for sure.

And as the AFL has discovered up there, any publicity is good publicity ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not entirely true.
The Broncos are the big exception.

They average just under what the Sydney Swans do in terms of crowds and in the last couple of years averaged more than the Lions (hasn't happened for quite some time).

But they have been, for a long time, a one team town, so you'd expect at least 30,000 a fortnight in a city of almost 2 million to attend a game for the most popular sport. If they didn't there would have to be something very wrong ...

You cant really juge the Swans crowd figures this year. As far as i know the SCG was sold out for every Swans game this year and unfortunately due to construction the SCG only has a maximum capacity of 26,000 people. Im sure the average crowd attendance would be alot higher when construction at the SCG is finished and the stadium can fit a extra 10,000 people.

I'm sure the average crowd attendance would be alot higher when construction at the SCG is finished and the stadium can fit a extra 10,000 people.

No it won't, because by then the Swans winning run would have ended and Sydney fans would jump off the boat left right and centre like their Lions supporter friends in Brisbane.

Perfect timing for pushing forward the develpoment Mr Howard ;)

Well they dont have much.
Most RL clubs run on a revenue stream of around $11m per year. AFL clubs run a revenue stream of around $25m.

Top NRL players get around $300,000 pa. Top AFL players get around $700,000

NRL gets a slight disproportiate TV rights money (ie, more than half the AFL's one) because they sell more exclusive content to pay TV, and thet've sold their soul for a night grand final.
Ironically, News Ltd, the pay-tv operator also owns the NRL, so the TV rights money is really just funny money moved internally to avoid tax. Even more interesting is that News Ltd owns 3 or 4 clubs. Those clubs have been far more successful over the last 10 years than the average non-News club. In the AFL this would be an outrageous scandal. In the NRL there isnt enough people to care.

Knowing that the AFL is is aussie wide those figures must be very dissapointing for the AFL.

You don't see too many AFL games with attendances below 20,000 , which is the norm for Thugby League. A lot more revenue generated by people actually going to the games rather than wasting their lives on a pokie machine to prop up a clubs finances.

So does that mean the NRL isnt a profitable organisation like the AFL and without pokermachines alot of NRL clubs would fold?

They certainly would have a lot of trouble. One has to also remember that there is a big market for League players overseas in either union or league. Player poaching to the UK is always a problem for the NRL.

So does that mean the NRL isnt a profitable organisation like the AFL and without pokermachines alot of NRL clubs would fold?

straight from the horse's mouth ...

But, Mr Gallop said not every leagues club could afford to rebuild as part of a commercial enterprise generating income.

The NRL's ultimate plan is for all clubs to be self-funding through season membership, gate revenue, corporate hospitality and sponsorship.

"All our clubs are well aware of the need to look beyond poker machine revenue," Mr Gallop said.

"But we shouldn't forget that leagues clubs have reinvested into the community and into the game in a very positive way over many years and those clubs are themselves looking to move away from a reliance on poker machines."

NSW Government taxes had already bitten into the funding available for football clubs, Mr Gallop said. St George Leagues Club has slashed its grant to the Dragons by $2 million this year.

"Leagues club funding is the backbone of many football clubs and poker machine income is a huge part of that and there is no way around that at the minute," Mr Gallop said.

While AFL clubs have no problem attracting record memberships each year, NRL clubs find it hard to even get the sort of memberships that SANFL and WAFL clubs enjoy. So their main focus is sponsorship (notice their ugly jumpers with the big banners across them and the digital marquees on their grounds) and their affiliated leagues clubs - i.e. beer and pokies.

Fortunately for the NRL, they have gotten used to the idea of merging and folding clubs as part of their expansion strategy. They have sold their soul many times over in the process.

It all adds up to one thing: thugby league is a mere tiny blotch on the arse of the AFL, and lays it's hopes on some easily fudged TV figures to make it feel a little better....

Got to remember there are less players to fund on an NRL list compared to an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nrl 3.8 Million & Afl 3.3 Million

Remove this Banner Ad

Back