NRL v AFL.. are people serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

littleduck said:
Why ask a question about something nobody is seeking to debate or argue against...

............and (to finish the statement) yes , Australian Football has more support than RL in Australia .

How much more is what everybody is continually arguing about .
Which is rather pointless . From my perspective , I'm happy where Australian Football stands at the moment , see a very positive immediate future and a good long term future . What other sports are doing doesn't really concern me , but I do have an opinion based on analysis .

:)

don't think it has anything about which sport. I reckon that if NRL was in melbourne and AFL was in sydney, NRL crowds>AFL crowds.

It is the cities, not the sport. Cities like Sydney, New York, Singapore etc are not as sports oriented as other cities. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just that people use these places as examples of how good/bad a sport is.

In Melbourne, we have had crowds of over 15,000 for NBL, 40,000 for A-League, 100,000 for AFL, Cricket and Union, 88,000 for League, 120,000 for horse racing. I doubt Sydney could beat this, but again there is nothing wrong with that.

Are you serious mate? You better do some research. Tell us how many people watch the Swans, how many clubs have folded in Mebourne in the NBL and why the Tigers play at some 3000 capacity stadium now, or why there is no Super 14 team and how many union tests you have, why there is only a small league following, never heard of the golden slipper etc

Melbourne is an AFL city it is very immature when it comes to other codes of football.

gaelictiogar said:
I won't chide you for not answering ron. It was a rhetorical question anyway. You are intelligent enough to know the answer as am i.

of course League won't die in the east. however the following statements are ALL true.

AFL has more support. Roy morgan polling indicates 8.8 million people name checking an AFL team to 6.2 million for the NRL. Sweeney and any other repoutable polls say similar.

2. AFLs inroads into League heartland - participation, attendance at elite league level, television viewing - are considerably greater than League inroads into AFL heartland.

3. nationally some 450,000 play AR compared to some 170,000 for league. I get these figures from easily googled govt. sources.

League will continue to be popular in the East. it will be a minority code elsewhere. Victory a far better long term bet in Viccy than Storm for instance. AFL will continue behind League in East but closer to it than league is to AFL elsewhere.

In truth Ronin you can't argue with a word of what I've written.

In AFL heartland AFL > NRL
In League heartland NRL > AFL>
Nationally AFL > NRL.
IN AFL heartland gap bigger than in League heartland.

All facts.

So we are talking semantics now, how big is support in either heartland.
By the way, didn't Roy Morgan get the last two Federal Election calls going the way of Labor?

Is AFL that much more popular in NSW and QLD?

For an example, lets look to the Friday night game between Freo and Melb, the winner who would play Sydney, and the StGeorge versus Manly game:

What Australia watched, Friday
AFL FINALS 2006: 2ND SEMI FINAL FREMANTLE V MELBOURNE
Total 1,264,000
Syd 71,000
Mel 582,000
Bris 25,000
Adel 218,000
Per 369,000

RUGBY LEAGUE FINAL SERIES SF 1
Total 902,000
Syd 568,000
Mel 42,000
Bris 261,000
Adel 12,000
Per 19,000

AFL beats the NRL, but what do the figures show:

NRL: abysmal numbers in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
AFL: abysmal numbers in Sydney and Brisbane.

NRL is not played in Perth or Adelaide, AFL is played in Sydney and Brisbane. Where NRL is played (NSW/QLD/VIC), more people watched NRL versus AFL. To include Perth and Adelaide is irrelevant as NRL is not played there. I am not even including the regionals, which will always increase the NRL number (1m watched the 2005 NRL GF vs 400k AFL).

I don't give a toss what convoluted excuses that people like you or Rob can conjure up here. It shows that the AFL can spend gazillions, but the people won't come to drink in a meaningful way.

Fancy calling your sport the clear #1, when only 95k people watch one of the most important games of the year in over half of the country. Even allowing for the people that may have watched it on Main Event, these numbers are a joke.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/006221.html

Ronin even littleduck accepts the truth of my points.

If you want to argue that the popularity of League in AFL heartland is equal to that of AFL in League heartland then honestly i don't see the point in continuing. Even you figures show as amny watching Freo VS Dees in Sydney than watching the NRL in Perth, Adelaide and melbourne combined.

AFL > NTL Ronin. LD accepts it since, though he argues his point, he is able to accept reality. Morgan may not be perfect but are you saying they are nearly 3,000,000 out? Come on.

League lads rubbish Sweeney largely because they don't like its conclusions about a game which sold a combined 53, 000 tix for two semis this weekend but it more or less mirrors morgan and each and every independent survey.

Nationwide more people will watch the AFL finals in total. nationwide more will have watched the regular season. nationwide more money is spent on the deal because nationwide more people are interested. I do admire your persistence Ronin but in all honesty dreaming up ways to prevent your finals attendances slipping behind A league would be better spending your time than trying to find stray bits of television rating showing NRL in the AFL ballpark.

As LD earluier agreed AFL > NRL.

I know the television networks rely on ratings to survive, but just for the sake of this argument it seems only 4,000 tv's nationwide are used to calculate the tv ratings...i am not sure if that is just the majors, but it a figure that surprises me slightly, considering the amount of power they have in determining whether a show survives or not, the profit of each network looks to the ratings as do sponsors............

Sure you can use tv ratings for your argument......but seriously 4,000 people does not represent over 20 million Australians, too bad more people don't have these ratings boxes or whatever they are, then we may see the true popularity of each show (and each code) by the armchair 'supporters' if you want to call them that.

(http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/006139.html)

Funkalicous said:
The NRL semi at SFS attracted 21,000 Sydneyites last night :eek:

I'm willing to bet that the A-League would smash that. :eek:

To be fair Funky it was 22 rather than 21 and few enough would have been sydneysiders who as we know are barely interested enough to support their own clubs and are unlikely to attend a game as neutrals when their interest when their own clubs are playing extends only to 20 mins on couch zapper in hand.

They should play the 2 semis as a double bill at homebush to try to create a bit of athmosphere.

Ricardo said:
I know the television networks rely on ratings to survive, but just for the sake of this argument it seems only 4,000 tv's nationwide are used to calculate the tv ratings...i am not sure if that is just the majors, but it a figure that surprises me slightly, considering the amount of power they have in determining whether a show survives or not, the profit of each network looks to the ratings as do sponsors............

Sure you can use tv ratings for your argument......but seriously 4,000 people does not represent over 20 million Australians, too bad more people don't have these ratings boxes or whatever they are, then we may see the true popularity of each show (and each code) by the armchair 'supporters' if you want to call them that.

(http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/006139.html)

Totally agree, i still cant understand how they think they are getting a realistic result from them. i read in the sun one day that in melbourne for every viewer who tunes in it counts for 24,000 but you would think it would only be 5,000 if there are 4,000 of them. Maybe the AFL should by 20 or 30 of the homes and watch all of the games. it would help get a bit more in the TV ratings

Ronin said:
I don't give a toss what convoluted excuses that people like you or Rob can conjure up here. It shows that the AFL can spend gazillions, but the people won't come to drink in a meaningful way.

Of course you don't care, because saying that having poor ratings to a TV show screened after 90% of the population has gone to bed completely f**ks your argument up. 170,000 watched Fremantle v Adelaide on a Saturday afternoon in Sydney last week. Gee, I wonder why Fremantle v Melbourne had 100,000 less viewers? Must be because AFL is sh*t......

Haha. On the Sunday Roast with Matt Johns and Phil Gould, they basicly admitted that Sydney fans are apathetic to big league games.

Adnar30 said:
Haha. On the Sunday Roast with Matt Johns and Phil Gould, they basicly admitted that Sydney fans are apathetic to big league games.
I know a few life long rugby league fans who have never been to a single game. They use the radio, TV and newspapers to keep up with what is going on.

Hornet said:
TV viewers argument aside, that's a poor turnout for a final.

Perth had two sold-out games for a total of 85,721

Sydney's two finals only attracted 52,988

I reckon it will be close, but the Swans are a chance to pull a bigger crowd that both the NRL Preliminary Finals next weekend.

75,000 at the AFL. 40,000 for Canterbury vs Brisbane. 35,000 for Melb vs StG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Refried Noodle said:
I reckon it will be close, but the Swans are a chance to pull a bigger crowd that both the NRL Preliminary Finals next weekend.

75,000 at the AFL. 40,000 for Canterbury vs Brisbane. 35,000 for Melb vs StG.

Would be interesting to see what a stand alone Sydney RL team would get crowd wise in a PF match.

gaelictiogar said:
of course League won't die in the east. however the following statements are ALL true.

Hahahaha, lets see.

gaelictiogar said:
AFL has more support. Roy morgan polling indicates 8.8 million people name checking an AFL team to 6.2 million for the NRL. Sweeney and any other repoutable polls say similar.

I'll raise you a Domino's report for a Sweeny report.

Rugby League wins battle of footy codes [1/06/2004]
The game of Rugby League has survived recent controversies to be named Australia’s favourite football code according to the latest national poll from Domino’s Pizza Australia.

League was voted the favourite with 45 per cent of Australians preferring the sport over Australian Football (29 per cent), soccer (14 per cent) and rugby union (13 per cent).

Domino’s Pizza Australia CEO Don Meij said the results were surprising considering the AFL has a truly national presence with teams in every state and Australia hosted the Rugby World Cup last year.

"They say that rugby union is the game they play in heaven but league rules the roost in the Australia," Mr Meij said.

"Australian Football is promoted as Australia’s premier spectator sport but our poll says that more people prefer to watch rugby league.

"And if soccer is the ‘world game’ then rugby league is ‘Australia’s game’.

"The State of Origin series has become the pinnacle football contest in the country. Aussies respond to the state versus state – mate versus mate rivalry.

"TV ratings show that most of New South Wales and Queensland stop to watch the game and most of the other states get on board either barracking for the Cockroaches or Maroons.

The Domino’s Pizza Australia poll surveyed 600 people from every state in Australia.

Which code of football do you find more appealing?

Code
Percentage

Rugby League

Australian Rules

Soccer

Rugby Union

For further information contact:
Don Meij, Domino’s Pizza Australia CEO, 0416 055 743
Matthew Hart / Kristina Sullivan, BBS Public Relations, 07 3221 6711 or 0418 714 463

Click here to read the full release in pdf format
http://www.dominos.com.au/great_comp...=20&NewsID=254

.......................................................................................................

Put your spin anyway you like, this poll is more real than ringing 1000 Victorians like the sweeny mob do.

gaelictiogar said:
2. AFLs inroads into League heartland - participation, attendance at elite league level, television viewing - are considerably greater than League inroads into AFL heartland.

League hasn't even tried yet to have a decent crack at the AFL markets.

Yet you can see into the future.

gaelictiogar said:
3. nationally some 450,000 play AR compared to some 170,000 for league. I get these figures from easily googled govt. sources.

RL figures from last year, notice no mention of your fictitious 170,000

Participation:
- Junior participation up for the 4th year in a row
- All Sydney districts were up in numbers (except Manly who were steady)
- Jnr League increases: CRL (up 7%), NSWRL (Up 7.5%), QRL (Up 8%) Affiliated States (Up 11%)
- Including school figures (still to be finalised), Rugby League will have 12% growth in 05, and break the 300K participation barrier for the first time.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193459

Add in Touch RL and RL is heaps bigger.

http://www.touchfooty.com.au/

There are currently 250,000 registered Touch players with approximately 500,000 school children playing the sport.

hmmmm, your AFL figure is starting to look abit sick lol.

To my knowledge, that takes RL up to one of the biggest sports in the Country huh, over 1 million players.:thumbsu:

gaelictiogar said:
League will continue to be popular in the East. it will be a minority code elsewhere. Victory a far better long term bet in Viccy than Storm for instance. AFL will continue behind League in East but closer to it than league is to AFL elsewhere.

So says the guy who can see into the future.:rolleyes:

gaelictiogar said:
In truth Ronin you can't argue with a word of what I've written.

In AFL heartland AFL > NRL
In League heartland NRL > AFL>
Nationally AFL > NRL.
IN AFL heartland gap bigger than in League heartland.

He didn't need to, you are too easy.

gaelictiogar said:
All facts.

If you believe in fairy tales.

copa said:
I know a few life long rugby league fans who have never been to a single game. They use the radio, TV and newspapers to keep up with what is going on.

Of course not. It doesn't take much to be a 'run of the mill' League supporter. All it takes to qualify is to have a team, know who Andrew Johns is, and watch State of Origin. That's it! :eek:

1908 said:
Are you serious mate? You better do some research. Tell us how many people watch the Swans, how many clubs have folded in Mebourne in the NBL and why the Tigers play at some 3000 capacity stadium now, or why there is no Super 14 team and how many union tests you have, why there is only a small league following, never heard of the golden slipper etc

Melbourne is an AFL city it is very immature when it comes to other codes of football.

what crowd does the golden slipper get? about 40K

the melbourne spring racing carnival gets around 350,000, 100,000 on 3 days and in the future, the melb cup could potentially get 200,000

Dominoes started in Qld dominating in Qld and NSW and has only broken into the Vic market in recent years (atrticle dated 2004) anyways if you want I can show you a poll from ABC in Northern-NSW stating that Aussie rules is the code of choice in that area???

Hoops said:
Dominoes started in Qld dominating in Qld and NSW and has only broken into the Vic market in recent years (atrticle dated 2004) anyways if you want I can show you a poll from ABC in Northern-NSW stating that Aussie rules is the code of choice in that area???

Where is the Sweeney report based? Where are the majority of their rag publication sold? Are you guys that stupid and blinkered?

gaelictiogar said:
Ronin even littleduck accepts the truth of my points.

If you want to argue that the popularity of League in AFL heartland is equal to that of AFL in League heartland then honestly i don't see the point in continuing. Even you figures show as amny watching Freo VS Dees in Sydney than watching the NRL in Perth, Adelaide and melbourne combined.

AFL > NTL Ronin. LD accepts it since, though he argues his point, he is able to accept reality. Morgan may not be perfect but are you saying they are nearly 3,000,000 out? Come on.

League lads rubbish Sweeney largely because they don't like its conclusions about a game which sold a combined 53, 000 tix for two semis this weekend but it more or less mirrors morgan and each and every independent survey.

Nationwide more people will watch the AFL finals in total. nationwide more will have watched the regular season. nationwide more money is spent on the deal because nationwide more people are interested. I do admire your persistence Ronin but in all honesty dreaming up ways to prevent your finals attendances slipping behind A league would be better spending your time than trying to find stray bits of television rating showing NRL in the AFL ballpark.

As LD earluier agreed AFL > NRL.

Less than 100k people watched the AFL match on Friday night in more than half of the country. This was a final. AFL is played professionally in these areas. You and others are arguing that AFL is taking over in these areas.

I am showing you that it is all bullcrap.

I am showing you facts, and you are giving me your opinion of what will happen into the future. Next.

Rob said:
Of course you don't care, because saying that having poor ratings to a TV show screened after 90% of the population has gone to bed completely f**ks your argument up. 170,000 watched Fremantle v Adelaide on a Saturday afternoon in Sydney last week. Gee, I wonder why Fremantle v Melbourne had 100,000 less viewers? Must be because AFL is sh*t......

The reason it was shown so late is because they knew it would get spanked anyway.

Despite that, being screened at 10.30pm for a major game is an issue? Hell, people got up at 2am to watch the WC.

How do you account for 25,000 in Brisbane and 71,000 in Sydney?

Ronin said:
The reason it was shown so late is because they knew it would get spanked anyway.

Despite that, being screened at 10.30pm for a major game is an issue? Hell, people got up at 2am to watch the WC.

How do you account for 25,000 in Brisbane and 71,000 in Sydney?

it was shown on foxtel, people who cared would not have waited until 10:30 to watch it. It is a pity that League couldn't show finals live into Melbourne, but maybe there is no demand for it

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL v AFL.. are people serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back