Discussion Official 2021 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In previous years, wasn't it 100% of the proceeds going to Starlight? This year it said only $5.

Not knocking Selby or anything; still a very super charitable thing to do and he has done so for many years. Just was a bit surprised to see it lowered. Maybe I'm mistaken and it was always $5?
Just keep the free version and throw $10 Starlight's way ;) win win

Thought it was an easy year to pick a team this year but as time goes on it's starting to get tricky to balance the wealth of value options presented in defense and midfield with the shortage up forward.

Very tempting to just forget forwards for now and target the better players that may become available via DPP?
Even picking Marshall doesn't feel quite right. He should be fine, but he's not really a player I'd considered picking earlier... now he's my F1 for some reason..

Thought it was an easy year to pick a team this year but as time goes on it's starting to get tricky to balance the wealth of value options presented in defense and midfield with the shortage up forward.

Very tempting to just forget forwards for now and target the better players that may become available via DPP?
Even picking Marshall doesn't feel quite right. He should be fine, but he's not really a player I'd considered picking earlier... now he's my F1 for some reason..
I think we are just all at that stage of our planning where we just need pre season games to start already😆 I've been fiddling with my team based on absolutely nothing all week

It's a good read and Knightmare has produced a lot of good info on first year players in it this year

A helpful hint for those wanting an instant look at how I rank the first year players.

Attachments

• Magic.PNG
    Magic.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 109
You know what you’re going to get from Gaff. Including finals he went 14/18 100+, that’s elite. Durable as hell. Sign me up for 22 games and a 108-112. As safe a midfield premium as you can get. Not an exciting pick perhaps, but you’ll get what you pay for . Other than those tagged games last season, don’t think he dropped below 80 in the two seasons prior
My only slight concern is his interrupted pre season. 2 weeks in quarantine after returning from Victoria now 5 days in lockdown

My only slight concern is his interrupted pre season. 2 weeks in quarantine after returning from Victoria now 5 days in lockdown

I've been on Gaff all preseason but he's dropped off recently for me. Nothing to do with how i think he'll do (which will be elite). Moreso with just how many "must have" bargains there is in the middle.

Right now I've found myself only with Adams (captain) and Taranto as big spends in the middle. Then its filled out with guys like Prestia, Cunnington, Rowell, Hately, Sier, Sloane etc etc.

Mid price madness for sure. I need some preseason games to start and cull the list down as there's just too many guys to choose from who're a lock to beat their average atm.

Been thinking more and more lately about my M6 between Cunnington, Hately, T Green and Heppell.

I've got them as;

Cunnington 87
Heppell 85
Hately 80
Tom Green 80 ????

Want to see confirmation of Heppell's position (and fitness) but Cunnington seems like the best option. Could be an easy way to get to Brad Crouch after his suspension. Tom Green could be anything, depending on his tank and role. Big watch for me.
I'm surprised Tom Green isn't in more teams. Very cheap and, aside from Ward and Toby (who'll play mostly forward), is GWS's only legit inside mid. He , or maybe TT, should lead the club for cbas this year.

I'm surprised Tom Green isn't in more teams. Very cheap and, aside from Ward and Toby (who'll play mostly forward), is GWS's only legit inside mid. He , or maybe TT, should lead the club for cbas this year.
Hopper, Ward, TT are purely inside. Kelly will have lots of minutes in there too, then we have Cogs to think about. CBAs in pre season will be interesting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on Gaff all preseason but he's dropped off recently for me. Nothing to do with how i think he'll do (which will be elite). Moreso with just how many "must have" bargains there is in the middle.

Right now I've found myself only with Adams (captain) and Taranto as big spends in the middle. Then its filled out with guys like Prestia, Cunnington, Rowell, Hately, Sier, Sloane etc etc.

Mid price madness for sure. I need some preseason games to start and cull the list down as there's just too many guys to choose from who're a lock to beat their average atm.

Sloane is past it and Sier will be competing with far too many for that vacant mid spot - including the new draftees in McInnes and F. Macrae - so will be a trap for sure. Hately I'm unsure of, as he'll get the minutes, but not sure he'll be a high scorer in a lower team like Adelaide. Wouldn't risk it given the lack of exposure. Think Cunnington will score far more than the 70 he's priced at (and he can't play anywhere except inside mid), as will Rowell if he's ready and firing by Round 1. Prestia is only in for a few rounds for mine, to make cash and then upgrade. At least 5-10 points underpriced, but won't be a Top 10 or even Top 20 mid by season's end, so you'll have to trade him at some point.

Hope that helps your decision making/eliminate some of them haha :)

Hopper, Ward, TT are purely inside. Kelly will have lots of minutes in there too. CBAs in pre season will be interesting.
Hopper and TT get at least as much on the outside. Check their uncontested possession numbers.
Last year Hopper and Cogs attended easily the most cbas and the team got beaten up on the inside. They need a legit ball winner like Green in there. I think he will to play every week and he only has one position.

In previous years, wasn't it 100% of the proceeds going to Starlight? This year it said only $5.

Not knocking Selby or anything; still a very charitable thing to do and he has done so for many years. Just was a bit surprised to see it lowered. Maybe I'm mistaken and it was always $5?

Nah you're spot on, it was 100%, and it used to be 20 bucks too. A little bit disappointed that he's only donating $5 (16%) out of each sale and then making $25 (84% of the proceeds). Won't be purchasing with that in mind.

He's done a good thing over the last couple of years, and maybe he's in a tight spot, but if you're gonna up the price by $10, then at least donate that $10 to starlight, lol. Just profiteering for profiteering's sake otherwise

Nah you're spot on, it was 100%, and it used to be 20 bucks too. A little bit disappointed that he's only donating $5 (16%) out of each sale and then making $25 (84% of the proceeds). Won't be purchasing with that in mind.

He's done a good thing over the last couple of years, and maybe he's in a tight spot, but if you're gonna up the price by $10, then at least donate that $10 to starlight, lol. Just profiteering for profiteering's sake otherwise
The website is pretty smich, which propobably cost a little to set up.

And i'm sure he's thinking, why are The Traders making money on this fantasy football thing when I've won it twice and am considered an expert.

I don't begrudge him from making money. At the end of the day its another resource that saves me time in my life to spend with friends and family instead of pouring over additional resources. It's less than an hour of my times worth and it will be more useful than i could create in an hour. I'll probably buy the Prospectus too which is another $30, all's fair.

Last edited:
The website is pretty smich, which propobably cost a little to set up.

And i'm sure he's thinking, why are The Traders making money on this fantasy football thing when I've won it twice and am considered an expert.

I don't begrudge him from making money. At the end of the day its another resource that saves me time in my life to spend with friends and family instead of pouring over additional resources. It's less than an hour of my times worth and it will be more useful than i could create in an hour. I'll probably buy the Record too which is another $30, all's fair.

Interesting, so it's not just a PDF this time, but a website? That justifies the increased cost I guess. Still think he could have given a bit more to Starlight, as that was what was so admirable about what he was doing. Cheers for letting me know about the site though, as it does lower the moral outrage a bit, haha.

There comes a point where you realise something you're doing can make you money - and you shouldn't be shamed for not donating enough. This is a pretty hot take

Edit: makes a bit more sense that you didn't know about the website, can understand your point of view

that makes me want to buy it now

In the absence of the AFL Prospectus this year, it's going to be the go-to resource for all fantasy football players, and with Moreira's Magic writing the profiles, it's a definite step up if your focus is on AFL Fantasy performance and increasing your hit rate on your selections and reducing the misses.

What impressed me in reading the profiles Moreira's Magic wrote up is I can tell right away exactly how he has reduced the margin of error so much that you can book for him to contend every year. I can understand and appreciate in having had a look through it last night how he won back-to-back in 2017+2018.

I'd be shocked if anyone read it and didn't find their Fantasy teams changed afterwards. Crossing guys off your list you may have liked, moving some up your calculations you may have considered but may after reading his thoughts feel more strongly about. I know it's had that impact on me in particular with some of the premiums and mid-pricers and getting deeper insight into the conditions that see particular guys score well, or struggle to score well.

It's a project I partnered with Moreira's Magic on for a reason. Proceeds going to charity sparked my interest and if I can add the kind of value where I can multiply those funds for charity, that's terrific. But with no AFL Prospectus this year, and really looking into how unbelievable Moreira's Magic is at consistently performing. It's a project I'm really pleased ESPN signed off on me taking part in.

Interesting, so it's not just a PDF this time, but a website? That justifies the increased cost I guess. Still think he could have given a bit more to Starlight, as that was what was so admirable about what he was doing. Cheers for letting me know about the site though, as it does lower the moral outrage a bit, haha.

Yeah I assume it’s easier for him to adjust than PDF and re-email.

In the absence of the AFL Prospectus this year, it's going to be the go-to resource for all fantasy football players, and with Moreira's Magic writing the profiles, it's a definite step up if your focus is on AFL Fantasy performance and increasing your hit rate on your selections and reducing the misses.

What impressed me in reading the profiles Moreira's Magic wrote up is I can tell right away exactly how he has reduced the margin of error so much that you can book for him to contend every year. I can understand and appreciate in having had a look through it last night how he won back-to-back in 2017+2018.

I'd be shocked if anyone read it and didn't find their Fantasy teams changed afterwards. Crossing guys off your list you may have liked, moving some up your calculations you may have considered but may after reading his thoughts feel more strongly about. I know it's had that impact on me in particular with some of the premiums and mid-pricers and getting deeper insight into the conditions that see particular guys score well, or struggle to score well.

It's a project I partnered with Moreira's Magic on for a reason. Proceeds going to charity sparked my interest and if I can add the kind of value where I can multiply those funds for charity, that's terrific. But with no AFL Prospectus this year, and really looking into how unbelievable Moreira's Magic is at consistently performing. It's a project I'm really pleased ESPN signed off on me taking part in.
It is a shame about the prospectus not being around this year, but it was fading in quality and relevance

I will be adding this to next weeks purchases

Really enjoyed the rookie insight, thanks a heap for that. That's usually the hardest info to decipher in preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back